Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is already a thread on this topic, and I apologize if I am out of line for starting a new one, but hopefully some Acura engineers will read these posts and revise the system accordingly.

The idle stop feature can be a great thing, but it definitely needs some serious improvements. The "feathering" of the brakes doesn't always work. Sometimes the car goes off while you're waiting in stop and go traffic to make a left turn. Not the time you want this to happen. It also goes off when I pull into the garage before I can hit the Park button! On the flip side, when it does go off, say at a long stoplight, the car will restart after a few seconds, even though I have my foot firmly on the brake. And not touching the steering wheel either (for those of you who learned that trick already). It that case, you can't re-engage the idle stop again. For example, you come up to a 90 second stoplight, the idle stop engages immediately. After 10 seconds, it disengages for no reason. Then it won't re-engage. Now you're sitting at a red light for 80 seconds with the engine running. thus defeating the whole purpose of idle stop.

Acura - please fix this. If I may, here are some suggestions -

1 - The idle stop feature should have a "master" on/off in the vehicle settings. Turning the system off with the console button is not good enough. First, it defaults back to on the next time you start the car, and secondly, when it is deactivated, a yellow warning light is shown on the dash. I don't want to drive with a warning light on!

2 - The idle stop feature should be, or at least have a option to be, manually controlled. That is. if you are going to be stuck at a long light or a train or something, you should be able to push a button to engage the idle stop at that time.

3 - Perhaps have a delay feature, so that the idle stop doesn't engage for a couple of seconds. This would help with it not engaging when "creeping" in traffic or pulling into your garage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just noticed that this post had gone unanswered... sorry for the delay

Did you know that moving the steering wheel re-engages the engine? I use this feature to re-start the engine to enable a smooth start.

When your idle stop stops, could it be that you moved the wheel?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also noticed that moving the steering wheel restart the car (I already mentioned it in a previous post) but now with the clod weather I am really getting annoyed with the auto-stop. Where I live the temp can go down as low as -35C in the winter. I just can't understand how the auto-stop function in cold weather. Most of the time it won't engage but sometimes, it will engage for 3 to 4 sec and then a message will appear in the MID warning that the engine will restart shortly. One would figure that once the temp reaches 0C, the auto-stop should be disable period! This will occur at an outside temp as low as -10C or lower.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I assumed the engine restarts after a certain amount of time. haven't looked it up yet. Drives me nuts at times too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts