Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My wife and I are proud new owners of an i4 Tech. We are interested in having the remote start added but I'm having trouble finding a solid answer on its range. Overall our dealer knew very little about it and actually advised against it. Depending on where I look I'm finding anywhere from 300 some feet to 1/2 mile. Can anyone with this feature attest to its true tested range and how well it's worked in real life situations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What year is your TLX? There is a dealer installed option for adding remote start which, when I had it done, was about $600 USD. You can also check the forum, I think some of the members have added this option themselves.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
My wife and I are proud new owners of an i4 Tech. We are interested in having the remote start added but I'm having trouble finding a solid answer on its range. Overall our dealer knew very little about it and actually advised against it. Depending on where I look I'm finding anywhere from 300 some feet to 1/2 mile. Can anyone with this feature attest to its true tested range and how well it's worked in real life situations.
The distance from where you want to remote start depends on a lot of issues.
  • The strength of the battery in the fob.
  • The interference in the area (cell phones?)
  • Possible line of sight?
There is feedback that helps with this activity. I normally hit the lock button. With a green light on the fob confirms "I" can talk to the TLX and command a remote start. Then a long press on the remote start button (yellow flash) and then a green light confirms the auto start.
Some of this I am recalling from the last time I did a remote start, but consult the Owner's manual for the exact sequence

·
Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
261 Posts
I can't confirm my maximum range, but I can confirm that my car responds to the "lock" command and also starts at .3 miles from high point to high point (across a slight valley), with car on the far side of the house (blocking). I attempted it from the same spot both coming and going in our Jeep, and it functioned only with the vehicle facing toward the house (i.e. transmitting through the windshield rather than having the rest of the vehicle in play). This may mean I was near the end of the workable range. Hope this is helpful.

P.S. I purchased the remote start online, and installed it myself. If you're anywhere near handy, it's a pretty simple job. The dealer then programmed the fobs and cut the "emergency" keys. There's a thread on here somewhere about buying used components off of eBay and which ones to get. While I didn't feel completely comfortable going that route, it would save some additional money.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've got the remote start and I've been able to start my car from inside a brick building at a distance of about 350 to 400 ft which I believe is right in the advertised range. (I think I remember seeing it advertised at 386 ft). Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts