Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tires on the AWD-SH are Goodyear Eagle LS2 and are no comparison to Michelin. I ran over a small curb and got a flat, I was screwed because the sidewall was damaged and was not repairable with the flat tire kit. I can't believe they got rid of the spare tire! Dumb move! I had Michelin tires on all my previous Acuras and bounced over bigger curbs and never had any problems. How I wish they would have stuck with Michelin!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Going on the defensive for Acura here. It is not a dumb move but cost and weight saving. It is totally under your control if you decided not to purchase the optional spare. I have chosen not to get the spare and will deal with the situation if/when I get a flat that cannot be patched by the kit.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

The tires on the AWD-SH are Goodyear Eagle LS2 and are no comparison to Michelin. I ran over a small curb and got a flat, I was screwed because the sidewall was damaged and was not repairable with the flat tire kit. I can't believe they got rid of the spare tire! Dumb move! I had Michelin tires on all my previous Acuras and bounced over bigger curbs and never had any problems. How I wish they would have stuck with Michelin!
Welcome to the forum! I see you made your first posts today. You kept quiet for some time. Sorry to hear about your tire issue.

I know Acura wanted to knock down the car price to keep it affordable so I believe that is why they went with Goodyear and no spare tire. So far, my Goodyears are holding up. I decided to get the spare tire kit. I figure if I buy the kit, I will never need it. If I didn't I probably would have needed it. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some people are surprised when they find out there is no spare and maybe Acura/Dealers should be more forth coming with this information. My dealer discussed this with me. I for one like the extra storage provided by the missing spare and elected to not buy the spare tire kit.

Just in case I purchased the jack and wrenches to keep in the car. I also purchased a used rim on Ebay to match my 18" wheels and a new tire for long trips. It will be nice to have a 5th wheel to include in the tire rotation.

I've been a Michelin man for many years and always recommended them but over the last few years I have had my share of problems with them including poor tread life and even a belt separation. I damaged both wheels and tires (Michelin Primacy) on the passenger side of my Prius by hitting a pothole (my fault). Low profile tires and the corresponding large wheels look good but are not very durable. Even with all the problems I've had I'll stick with Michelins.

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I also purchased a used rim on Ebay to match my 18" wheels and a new tire for long trips.
Long trips usually mean lots of luggage and this is when the space is at a premium, plus the 18" rim will not fit flush in the spare tire compartment. Hope you are aware.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the spare tire kit doesn't actually take more trunk space. I thought that they just replace the foam with a different cutout, but overall the foam is the same height.

I can see the weight saving aspect to save on fuel, however, other brands like Infiniti at least put run-flats so you can still make your way without much effort. I was somewhat reluctant about not getting the spare tire option as well, but I suppose that could be due to not ever hearing or having experience with the repair kit. It surely wouldn't have helped me this past October when I had a blowout in the middle of Ohio heading back to DC (different car- spare tire FTW!). Hope I never get to that point (knock on wood).

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the spare tire kit doesn't actually take more trunk space. I thought that they just replace the foam with a different cutout, but overall the foam is the same height.
I believe the poster was referring to regular-sized tires. The donut fits in its hole nicely where regular-sized tires will not. There are pictures I posted on this forum somewhere that shows this.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Correct. The OP said that a matching 18" wheel was purchased along with a suitable tire (allowing a 5th tire for rotation). Ergo, it is not a compact spare and while it will fit in the cutout space it will be higher than the trunk floor level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Long trips usually mean lots of luggage and this is when the space is at a premium, plus the 18" rim will not fit flush in the spare tire compartment. Hope you are aware.
Yup my forum searching turned up that bit of information before I bought the 5th wheel! Don't forget that when you are on the road and you put the compact spare on the ground due to a problem you still have to do something with the damaged tire and wheel...

Of the 8 tire problems/flats I've had in the last two years across two cars I've been able to get home to put my full size spare on or drive to a garage to get it repaired. I guess I'm lucky.:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Of the 8 tire problems/flats I've had in the last two years across two cars I've been able to get home to put my full size spare on or drive to a garage to get it repaired. I guess I'm lucky.:D
8 in two years? I dont see that as lucky...where are you driving?
May want to buy two spares...just saying. >:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
May want to buy two spares...just saying. >:D
That thought crossed my mind...

Flats seem to run in waves in my household. The previous tens years I think we had 2 flats. We replaced the metal roof on our house and no matter how many screws, nails, and bits of metal I pick up they are always more! They seem to migrate right into my tires.

The last nail in a tire went down the sidewall but on the outside of the sidewall belt in the rubber. You could see a bulge on the sidewall in the shape of a nail. When the shop pulled the nail out the bulge went away and it didn't leak! Luckily Discount Tire replaced the tire under the road hazard warranty anyways.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe the poster was referring to regular-sized tires. The donut fits in its hole nicely where regular-sized tires will not. There are pictures I posted on this forum somewhere that shows this.
I stand corrected :) Somehow I didn't translate that.

Reactions: Summest
1 - 12 of 12 Posts