Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I get the red area to push in but it refuses to budge if I pull down or to the front ahhhh!
Hmm I had to use a little bit of force to get it out. I didnt break any tabs or anything here are some more pics of it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yay, we got it off. Here's a pic of the plug from behind. Now can someone virtual test everything with my multimeter and tell me where to plug everything in lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yay, we got it off. Here's a pic of the plug from behind. Now can someone virtual test everything with my multimeter and tell me where to plug everything in lol. View attachment 26122
Dang LOL I thought you knew how to use the multimeter. There is a video on YouTube...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I watched Vortex's and a few others. I guess i always freak out when it comes to blowing things up, electricity, etc lol. So you put the red tip into one plug and the black one into another and always have to have both the red probe touching the red pin in the plug and the black probe touching the black pin in the plug?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I watched Vortex's and a few others. I guess i always freak out when it comes to blowing things up, electricity, etc lol. So you put the red tip into one plug and the black one into another and always have to have both the red probe touching the red pin in the plug and the black probe touching the black pin in the plug?
Hmm Im not sure if the color wires always match up. I think in my Q50 it was the green and black wire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm Im not sure if the color wires always match up. I think in my Q50 it was the green and black wire.
I meant with the red n black probes touching the red and black wires you can insert into the different sockets of the different wires in the plug. To get a reading you can't just use the red probe, right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I meant with the red n black probes touching the red and black wires you can insert into the different sockets of the different wires in the plug. To get a reading you can't just use the red probe, right?
Oh im not sure how to use a multimeter. But in the Vortex video, he doesnt use the probes from the multimeter straight into the sockets. He uses the adapter first and then the probe to those adapters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Any updates?? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
No, lol. I messaged Vortex and ask questions about the multi meter. I don't know how I'm supposed to find where to put the black ground probe. Can you use one probe at a time to find it? I have no clue, etc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ugh. No one is seems to be able to know which is the wire we want to use that will turn off when the car goes off and which is the ground. I've asked for more specifics on how to use the multimeter and not getting any answers. Let's try this in a new thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ugh. No one is seems to be able to know which is the wire we want to use that will turn off when the car goes off and which is the ground. I've asked for more specifics on how to use the multimeter and not getting any answers. Let's try this in a new thread.
Yea I've noticed the 2021 TLX community is kind of small. Probably because the car is still pretty new. This is the first time I've leased a brand new car the first year it came out.

The kind of good thing is the power adapter is on the side so it's kind of out of the way. But much prefer the cleaner look.

At least this car ain't as fast as my previous Q50S Red Sport, lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea I've noticed the 2021 TLX community is kind of small. Probably because the car is still pretty new. This is the first time I've leased a brand new car the first year it came out.

The kind of good thing is the power adapter is on the side so it's kind of out of the way. But much prefer the cleaner look.

At least this car ain't as fast as my previous Q50S Red Sport, lol
I think Bestbuy would install it for $50 if you have all the hardware. Just making an appointment is a joke though. May or June availability. If you have Geek Squad Tech Support where you pay $200 a year, that would be included in addition to things like installing your TV on the wall, etc. I just do not want to pay anymore! I called a local install place and they said $125. I kinda loled I was like I have EVERYTHING. I can even take the cover off for you. All you would need to do is check which wire was live and like 12v and which was ground and plug the two wires into the correct ones. I'm not paying $125 for THAT!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haha I will not mess with it man, I fear rattles.
Can you please please please pop the cover and take a pic to see which is the power and which is the ground wire? You are the only one who can help us at this point lol! I've scoured the internet and all over seeing if anyone else has posts about doing the wiretap from the mirror and can't find a single one except yours! CtK could tell you how to pop the cover like he help me do mine. Pleaaaase!

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I joined the Acura TLX Generation 2 forum on FB and someone answered my question who I think is an Acura Tech. He posted pictures of the what each wire does on the connector. The thread can be found at Facebook Groups It looks like the black is ground and the brown, right next to it, is the accessory option power. He recommended against using the MirrorTap though. He said that that the back probing could pin fitment issues and having both the ground and power next to each other would be bad if one came loose and caused a short there could but a short if something came loose. Of course that insta freaked me out. I asked if running a hard down to the fuse box using the headliner option was a better option and he said yes with the Add-A-Fuse option to it. I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062PO02Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011I9QZX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Now I really didn't want to do the wire running through the headliner way but now I'm paranoid about the Mirror Tap way into the mirror. Ahhhhh!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So I joined the Acura TLX Generation 2 forum on FB and someone answered my question who I think is an Acura Tech. He posted pictures of the what each wire does on the connector. The thread can be found at Facebook Groups It looks like the black is ground and the brown, right next to it, is the accessory option power. He recommended against using the MirrorTap though. He said that that the back probing could pin fitment issues and having both the ground and power next to each other would be bad if one came loose and caused a short there could but a short if something came loose. Of course that insta freaked me out. I asked if running a hard down to the fuse box using the headliner option was a better option and he said yes with the Add-A-Fuse option to it. I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062PO02Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011I9QZX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Now I really didn't want to do the wire running through the headliner way but now I'm paranoid about the Mirror Tap way into the mirror. Ahhhhh!
Awesome thanks, ill give it a try. It was right next to each other on my Q50 and nothing ever happened. I just made sure it was in there tight.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome thanks, ill give it a try. It was right next to each other on my Q50 and nothing ever happened. I just made sure it was in there tight.

Thanks again!!
Here's the pic he posted. Let me know when you install it and post some pics! I ordered the other wire but I'd prefer to do it the easy way as long as it doesn't short something out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One thing I'm concerned about (other then the dealership service dept and the Acura Tech on FB telling me to not do the mirror tap and do the wire down to the fuse box with the Add-A-Fuse method because it's safer) is what if the Blend Mount falls or for whatever reason the radar drops while attached the the power cable it may yank on the wire inserts and most likely pull one or both out which could cause a problem. I mean I guess I figure a way to zip tie the Mirror Tap tightly the actual wire harness and connector. Ugh. Dealing with wires and shorts always makes me paranoid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
One thing I'm concerned about (other then the dealership service dept and the Acura Tech on FB telling me to not do the mirror tap and do the wire down to the fuse box with the Add-A-Fuse method because it's safer) is what if the Blend Mount falls or for whatever reason the radar drops while attached the the power cable it may yank on the wire inserts and most likely pull one or both out which could cause a problem. I mean I guess I figure a way to zip tie the Mirror Tap tightly the actual wire harness and connector. Ugh. Dealing with wires and shorts always makes me paranoid.
lol Im not worried I've been doing this for a few years now never had a problem with this or the dealer saying anything. They always ask me how it's done, lol. The invisicord/mirrortap also has a built-in fuse. But you can go to the fuse box if you want, just a lot more work and expense.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts