Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did the first oil change on my '20 TLX V6 SH-AWD with A-Spec and Tech packages this afternoon. I've done dozens of Honda oil changes on all sorts of vehicles, most recently my '18 Pilot which has exactly the same powertrain. Of course, fitting all that technical goodness into a TLX is a much tighter fit!

My observation was (compared especially to the '05 TL and '97 CL) is there isn't much room around the chassis for the oil to gush out when you remove the drain plug. I wrapped some boxboard around the adjacent area, hanging down a bit to guide the oil into the drain pan. There must be a better way. The metal guide to keep the oil from the filter from running down the adjacent chassis area works great, and Honda even added a lip around the part of the filter base to help.

I'm thinking of cobbling up a piece of light sheet metal with a couple of magnets to hold to the chassis. But I'm sure that someone must have already solved this problem with a ready-made solution.

p.s. did anyone notice when they did their first oil change on their new TLX that the oil drain bolt wasn't much tighter than finger-tight? I was surprised that it took no effort to loosen it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose they wanted to minimize the size of the opening on the underbelly of the car for aerodynamic purposes. Probably couldn't justify the cost or delays to manufacture a more well-thought-out solution. Snap-On Tools has a bunch of stamped metal deflectors with magnets on them to hold to the chassis. The one for the Pilot/MDX works well on the V6 TLX oil filter, and Honda even added a lip around the bottom of the filter mount to help guide the oil from there. My old '05 TL was so much easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts