Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2015 Acura TLX combines and improves upon the TSX and the TL, or at least that is what it aims to do. Here I take a look at the problems with the 2014 Acura TL, and see if the TLX is going to fix those issues.

The original Acura TL debuted in 1999 (above). It was a huge success. The original TL was hailed for its cutting edge exterior design, quality, excellent sport-handling, and awesome options. Over the years the TL lost this appeal though.

The current TL (pictured above) is pretty large, and consumers have seen this is a departure from the original message of the TL. It is a bulky vehicle with a wide wheelbase. It is also quite front-end heavy, which noticeably affects handling.

As far as the plain numbers, the 2014 Acura TL runs on a 3.5-litre 24 valve SOHC VTEC engine. It creates 280 hp and 245 lb-ft. It weighs 3,770 lbs, and gets a fuel efficiency rating of 20/29/23 mpg.

The 2015 Acura TLX runs on a 2.4-litre, 16 valve, DOHC, i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine. It produces 206 hp and 182 lb-ft of torque. The TLX with just the tech package weighs 3,509 lbs, so there is a bit of weight shaving to be proud of here.

I think that on the styling side Acura has done some good work with the TLX, but its not like they took any risks here. Acura is really wanting the Acura TLX to be a driver's car. Hopefully the TLX can improve on the questionable handling of the 2014 TL. After all, the website says that it uses "next-generation performance-handling technologies."

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am going to miss the luxury cruiser, when compared to what else they offer, the TL was. But this was the best thing for them to do with how they want to grow, might as well create one mainstream sedan that targets almost both the TL and TSX crowd.

·
Registered
430 Posts
hey why did you skip over the third gen, easily the most desirable of the TL's and a legitimate benchmark for the TLX of many shoppers...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
The 1st Gen TL was introduced as a rebadged Vigor in 1996. Easily one of the safest cars ever made.

The 2nd Gen you pictured was easily the worst car that Honda ever made because of the widespread transmission issues due to a completely faulty design. There were no manual transmissions offered, and it has gone down in infamy as a total marketing and maintenance disaster. The 1999 models did, however, have the old 4 speed transmission. From 2000-2003, the real disaster with Honda's fatal design flaw 5 speed auto came into play and nearly destroyed Acura's reputation.

The home run hit by the 3rd Gen became the last iconic car that Acura offered.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Oh, and make no mistake. The TLX is not, whatever Acura tells us, a replacement for the TL. The TLX is an upgraded TSX. The TL never, ever came with a 4 cylinder, and is now a dead model.

Good or bad? Time will tell. Acura is betting everything on this car, so it had better be great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 1999 was a transmission disaster. My first one died at 98k, and the second at 185k. Thank God that Acura extended the coverage to 100k, so they picked up the tab on the first one. I dumped the car after the second failure. My 07 has been great....up to 172000 and only one transmission. Hope that they know what they are doing with 2 new transmission set ups with the TLX. If I wanted to worry about quality I would just get a BMW or Audi!

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my experience, if the transmission lasted 98K miles, I'd be a happy camper. Certain fords or Mazda 626 come to mind where trannies failed at 30K. I owned one briefly and it was the worst mistake of owning a car I ever made. I was still paying my CC off when I traded it in and took a huge loss.

My first car was '96 TL and although it shifted funny and the oiled burned and leaked for 4 years, it didn't quit on me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think that anyone should be happy with a tranny failing at 100k. Even Acura realized that they had to extend the coverage and pay for failed design. Again, I would consider BMW and Audi if I didn't care about maintenance costs in the long run. I can not lease b/c I put so many miles on per year, so I need something that will last without a $4000 repair bill when I hit 100k. My first two Acuras were manual and didn't have to worry too much about tranny. They both went 150k+. Acura and Honda have reliability as their primary sales niche, so as long as that is maintained, then I will be a customer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't buy the reliability angle from any manufacturer any more. They all use same suppliers for the most parts. If these parts fail, you can drive a BMW or a Ford, you'd be in the same boat.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I knew something was missing, the 3rd generation TL was where they really did shine, what a shame that it wasn't included in this thread. I guess maybe the OP is new to Acura.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Someone could always right up an addendum that talks about the 3rd generation TL. It's not hard to post up a picture and write your opinion on it.

Do you really think that the TL and the TSX were combined to create the TLX, or is that not really an accurate statement?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, they combined the letters to make TLX. Otherwise, it's just a redesigned TSX. They should have added ILX to the mix to make an TLXi.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh, and make no mistake. The TLX is not, whatever Acura tells us, a replacement for the TL. The TLX is an upgraded TSX. The TL never, ever came with a 4 cylinder, and is now a dead model.

Good or bad? Time will tell. Acura is betting everything on this car, so it had better be great.
The TSX never had SH-AWD. So the TLX is not a replacement for the TSX either, by your logic.

Anyway, not sure why is matters that much whether it's a replacement to the TSX, a redesign of the TSX or an upgrade to the TSX or that it's a combination of TSX and TL. At the end of the day, there's this car with this look, with these specs and with these dimensions.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I knew something was missing, the 3rd generation TL was where they really did shine, what a shame that it wasn't included in this thread. I guess maybe the OP is new to Acura.
I drive an 05, and I am really going to be a very sad dude when I finally have to give that car up. Acura really did have their last iconic model with this one. I am told that the 07-08 Type S were a total joy to own.

Someone could always right up an addendum that talks about the 3rd generation TL. It's not hard to post up a picture and write your opinion on it.

Do you really think that the TL and the TSX were combined to create the TLX, or is that not really an accurate statement?
I guess in the grand scheme of things which were totally out of our control, it doesn't really matter. Kind of a chicken or the egg type of discussion.

The TSX never had SH-AWD. So the TLX is not a replacement for the TSX either, by your logic.

Anyway, not sure why is matters that much whether it's a replacement to the TSX, a redesign of the TSX or an upgrade to the TSX or that it's a combination of TSX and TL. At the end of the day, there's this car with this look, with these specs and with these dimensions.
True dat!! I just hope that this is the home run that Acura is counting on.

I just keep remembering back to the last time Acura had an auto only offering, and what a total disaster that was. The 99s still had the older 4 speed transmissions, which were way more reliable than the 5 speeds that went into the 00-03s. Those were a matter of not 'if' the transmission would fail, but 'when'. Most people I have known in Acura discussions counted themselves lucky if they managed to get 60K miles on one.

I will say, though, that 2nd gen TL was a beautiful car to look at.

·
Registered
430 Posts
meh, second gen was ok in my book, although I didn't mind the second gen CL. Kinda would like to see a rebirth of the CL in some capacity. Simple enough to use the Accord Coupe...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I drive an 05, and I am really going to be a very sad dude when I finally have to give that car up. Acura really did have their last iconic model with this one. I am told that the 07-08 Type S were a total joy to own.

I guess in the grand scheme of things which were totally out of our control, it doesn't really matter. Kind of a chicken or the egg type of discussion.

True dat!! I just hope that this is the home run that Acura is counting on.

I just keep remembering back to the last time Acura had an auto only offering, and what a total disaster that was. The 99s still had the older 4 speed transmissions, which were way more reliable than the 5 speeds that went into the 00-03s. Those were a matter of not 'if' the transmission would fail, but 'when'. Most people I have known in Acura discussions counted themselves lucky if they managed to get 60K miles on one.

I will say, though, that 2nd gen TL was a beautiful car to look at.
it's basically why you hardly see any good black tl-s models on the used car market, yet if you drive around some city you see that people have them, holding onto them like it's the best investment.....and i can't blame them.:cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Talking about cars you see driving around, I've been seeing more 3G TLs and 1G TSX than usual lately. Wonder if they are out to welcome their new family member, the TLX. lol

When I think about it, I realize it's quite amazing to see so many 10 years-old (give or take a few years) lux cars on the street and still looking good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts