Acura TLX Forum banner

How often do you check your oil level in your TLX?

• Every time I visit the gas station to fill up the tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Every week or two.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Once a month.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Once a quarter.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Only once before a big trip.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • When oil % indicator drops to 15-20%; have Acura check it.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Oil check?

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Other time period, not specified here.

Votes: 2 5.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you check your oil level in your new TLX? I am curious to see what the actual average time might be in a non-scientific poll.
The manual says to check at every gas station visit. :|
Personally I have my oil checked when the oil % indicator drops to 15-20%. I have done this ever since I have had Acuras since 2004. I know I am a bad person, but that's how it is. :eek:

What is your opinion?

:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Never! Have oil changed at 5% service interval, or extremely rarely if the oil warning light comes on.

The warning in the manual is a CYA in case the oil warning light has failed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'll check it periodically (once a qtr checked off), but rather than checking the level, I look at discoloration and smell...

BTW...I use ONLY Mobil 1 full synthetic for all my cars and Honda powered yard equipment.

(Yeah...I'm that guy.)

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
438 Posts
unless the engine oil light comes up, i wouldnt bother

and its not like this car will burn oil like some of the older audi A4s (knocks on wood)

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't checked it. I've had my TLX since early September, have 2600 miles and still have 80% oil life according to the readout. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2015 4 cyl for a week and a half, put on 500 miles and the oil indicator went from 100% to 90% overnight. Does that seem normal?

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
Now you make me feel like I'm not treating my TLX appropriately!! (I voted: Oil check?)
I think I lifted the hood to see if I could use the battery to jump start my son's car!! And to show off the gas springs holding up the hood!!
I'll probably check when the weather warms up (this morning 20F)!

Reactions: crack-kitty

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Typically, a short time after an oil change just to verify that it wasn't over/under filled or leaking out for some reason.

Plenty of new cars don't even have a dipstick to check.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Typically, a short time after an oil change just to verify that it wasn't over/under filled or leaking out for some reason.

Plenty of new cars don't even have a dipstick to check.
I always pop the hood when I get home from getting service done to make sure no covers have been left off. I do check the oil at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts