Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Where due you live?

My dealer charges $30.00. After the first replacement it is fairly easy to change.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer is in Colorado Springs. I just noticed it says "cabin and air filter," but that's still steep when the engine air filter is $22 on Amazon, and also takes 10 minutes or less to change.

·
Registered
2020 TLX, 3.5L, Tech package, Modern steel metallic
20 Posts
Yes, the quote might seem out of line but consider it from the Dealership's point of view. They almost always are providing genuine Honda/Acura parts, the eBay/Amazon/Auto parts Store (or wherever) may or may not be selling quality brands. Also, the Dealership has to cover overhead (lights, heat, power, insurance, "free coffee", inventory carrying costs, etc) as well as pay the Service Writer, Parts Man, Mechanic, Prep Guy (the one who washes the car and gives it a "once over"), and Management's costs.

I'm not saying the price quoted is out of line, or fair, but I'm saying that there is much more going into the Dealership's cost structure than just the cost of the part and the time to slap it in. The bottom line is that everyone has a "price". The car owner has one, Amazon/eBay/Auto Parts Store has one, and the Dealership also has one. It all depends on what is the best match.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get it, and when you figure shop labor rates, OEM parts (the air filter at $22 is the Honda part, BTW), and the free car wash, that $89 probably isn't far off. It's just more than I'm willing to pay someone else to do when the tasks are dead simple.

·
Registered
2020 TLX, 3.5L, Tech package, Modern steel metallic
20 Posts
I agree! Throw in the time wasted to go/wait at the Dealership (unless they're doing other work for you at the same time), and it exceeds "my price". That's a big reason why I've done all of my basic maintenance for many years...

Also, as a throw in, it underscores the value of this Forum. It, via Members comments/suggestions may help you determine your own "price structure" for a given situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts