Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The TLX has done away with the litany of buttons that plagued the TL's infotainment system. Replacing it is a touchscreen that works together with the Acura controller and a second screen. I'm wondering how people are founding this new system?

I have read that the system is confusing because of the multiple interfaces. Add to that illogical menus, inscrutable controls, and redundant displays, and things aren't looking too good for the TLX infotainment screen. I'm sure that it's not quite so bad once you get used to the system, but how have you been finding it so far?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got a RLX as a loaner last week and drove it for a few hours on a highway trip. As far as I can tell the workings of the TLX and RLX look pretty much the same. I actually liked it but it did take a little while to figure out where everything was. Really don't see this as a problem. I controlled XM stations with steering wheel toggle, and AC on the touchscreen. Everything can also be done with voice activation I think. Did not use the navi functions much (traffic or routing) but gotta believe that it is pretty easy.

I think once you figure out how to use, it would seem to be pretty easy. I kinda like the dual screen so map or XM station info is always displaced. My wife has a Toyota 4Runner and it defaults back to map view after a few seconds when you change XM station. Don't like that b/c constantly going back to change stations or see who the artist currently playing.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got a RLX as a loaner last week and drove it for a few hours on a highway trip. As far as I can tell the workings of the TLX and RLX look pretty much the same. I actually liked it but it did take a little while to figure out where everything was. Really don't see this as a problem. I controlled XM stations with steering wheel toggle, and AC on the touchscreen. Everything can also be done with voice activation I think. Did not use the navi functions much (traffic or routing) but gotta believe that it is pretty easy.

I think once you figure out how to use, it would seem to be pretty easy. I kinda like the dual screen so map or XM station info is always displaced. My wife has a Toyota 4Runner and it defaults back to map view after a few seconds when you change XM station. Don't like that b/c constantly going back to change stations or see who the artist currently playing.
I'm starting to think that for the price of a TLX out the door brand new, you may be able to get a used RLX in good condition for a price that's close enough.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm starting to think that for the price of a TLX out the door brand new, you may be able to get a used RLX in good condition for a price that's close enough.
I liked the RLX well enough, but I am in the market for a smaller car with great highway mileage. The RLX was very comfortable and had great tech, just not the car for me....yet. The i4 tech is looking very appealing in about a year. By then they will add SH-AWD...?

I would think that RLXs will become available and you should be able to get a great deal on them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that a lot of people will opt for the RLX used. It will be a great deal. I don't think there is much of a down side, you just have to figure out how much you care about having the newest Acura that's out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
@fenderstrat69 you bring up an excellent point in your first post

I got a RLX as a loaner last week and drove it for a few hours on a highway trip. As far as I can tell the workings of the TLX and RLX look pretty much the same. I actually liked it but it did take a little while to figure out where everything was.
That is the key to these systems is LEARNING THEM. Often the journos will crucify a system after their press day or whatever kind of time they get to spend with the car, same goes for a lot of new owners. Ford has a problem with SYNC, the people complaining SYNC doesnt work are the ones who are not taking the time to understand the system.

Supposedly this is what people wanted in their cars, so now why are they not taking the time to educate themselves about their own purchase. I'm sorry but these systems can never be as intuitive as buttons and knobs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was just checking the Acura site to see if they have any tutorial videos yet for the info center on the RLX....nothing yet, but I am sure that they will add some videos like the ones one the RDX video section. Haven't looked but I assume that YouTube might have some tutorials also. And of course there is the Owners Tech Manual for those who like to read....or if you are like me, I will just play with it until I figure it out. (Engineer major changed to physics 30 years ago).

I think once you find the stuff you will use then you are all set. I recall in a video Matt talking about presets in climate control for when he is alone or with his wife.....really???.....can't hit the up arrow twice to make warmer on her side....need a preset? Anyway, everyone will have the stuff they use and probably a whole bunch they don't. These systems have gotten much more complex with all of the Apps and safety features, but we all figured out the VCR...didn't we?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I like the touchscreen

[ I'm wondering how people are founding this new system?

I have read that the system is confusing because of the multiple interfaces. Add to that illogical menus, inscrutable controls, and redundant displays, and things aren't looking too good for the TLX infotainment screen. I'm sure that it's not quite so bad once you get used to the system, but how have you been finding it so far?
So far so good. At first it is a bit overwhelming. My salesman gave me a walk-around intro, but you really have to play with it yourself to find out where everything is. Reading the owner's manual helped.

Consider it like buying a new cell phone nowadays. Learning where everything is located is half the fun.

I like how you have two screens. The top is for display only, while the bottom is more interactive like a display and control panel touchscreen. Some of the more elaborate features will only work by voice when driving. Often times I will sit in the car before or after the drive to see what new stuff I can learn. There is a lot of tech there. Also I thought that only NAV showed on the top display. You can also display other useful information there as well.

If you are tech savvy, you will learn the system easily. I imagine the older non-technical folks won't care and just use the basics without fully knowing what is there, but I could be wrong. My Dad is 82 and he has done a great job learning all about PC use and his and my Mom's Galaxy S4 Actives. I hope I can still be technically aware when I reach his age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts