Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously there IS an exhaust, just not a visual one. How do you guys feel about that? Personally I like to see a little tail pipe, it breaks up the monotony of a rear end in most cases...

Not a make or break by any means, just a touch disappointing I suppose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am disappointed because I love the look of the chrome extensions on my '11 TSX. I am more disappointed with the lack of fog lights (except for the Advance Package). I hope they are available as a dealer installed item.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Obviously there IS an exhaust, just not a visual one. How do you guys feel about that? Personally I like to see a little tail pipe, it breaks up the monotony of a rear end in most cases...

Not a make or break by any means, just a touch disappointing I suppose.
I am not sure. Seems like it would look like something is missing. Maybe it will grow on me. They sure seem to make a big deal out of it but don't add much details besides "looking green".

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I am more disappointed with the lack of fog lights (except for the Advance Package). I hope they are available as a dealer installed item.
Bummer. I plan on buying the 4-Cylinder with Tech Package. Is that truly the case? Also, if you can get them as an option, I hope they would be LED. Guess I know where to spend my $500 accessory money, if it is an option.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am not sure. Seems like it would look like something is missing. Maybe it will grow on me. They sure seem to make a big deal out of it but don't add much details besides "looking green".
I guess there is a green argument to be made, I don't think it counts for much but I suppose its there. But of course we know its only a GREEN car if there are plenty of stickers that scream GREEN, ENVIRO FRIENDLY, I BRAKE FOR KITTENS... you know, the usual stuff :D;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't believe that we've come to the point where it only matters to look green, even if the car actually isn't "green" at all. If you want an electric car, buy an electric car. Pretending your gas powered machine is more environmentally friendly just because you can't see the exhaust pipe is disgusting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't believe that we've come to the point where it only matters to look green, even if the car actually isn't "green" at all. If you want an electric car, buy an electric car. Pretending your gas powered machine is more environmentally friendly just because you can't see the exhaust pipe is disgusting.
Not to mention that in some cities, the exhaust out the tailpipes would be cleaner that the air going into the intake...:eek:

·
Registered
727 Posts
It is a luxurious vehicle and they are meant to look cleaner and like how a luxury vehicle should and have no exhaust visible does seem suitable .

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is a luxurious vehicle and they are meant to look cleaner and like how a luxury vehicle should and have no exhaust visible does seem suitable .
I don't associate the lack of a visible exhaust with being luxurious though. There are plenty of vehicles that are more luxurious than the TLX that have visible exhausts. I think that the exhaust is actually a prized piece of many luxury vehicles which aim to be performance vehicles as well. They could integrate it really nicely into the bottom bumper or something, but I think getting rid of it altogether was a strange decision.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My point is that luxury is about clean tasteful design and the lack of a visible exhaust helps to achieve that. Of course it's not a must across the board, some brands choose to integrate exhaust systems into a rear bumper or diffuser. As far as what Acura is really about, this was one of the better things they could have done.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Actually whats more disgusting is pretending electric cars are greener, or that people actually think the car is the source of all woes ;) Do you value the object or the image? Whats a little simulation between friends after all ;) Do some research into the container ships that bring us all our lovely gadgetry that allows us all to be so progressive, or into air travel, the same kind that shuttles people back and forth from their right of passage backpacking adventures across Europe.

Typeess is right about the deisgn though, I remember when the first bangle but 7 series came out with hidden tail pipes and it was like, RADICAL MANNN.

Not to mention that in some cities, the exhaust out the tailpipes would be cleaner that the air going into the intake...:eek:
This wins! What do we do when the pollution is cleaner than what were trying to protect against pollution ;):D

·
Registered
87 Posts
The hidden exhausts for the image of "cleaner", classier car is akin to visible exhausts for the image of performance and sports car. It's just that, an image. So not sure why some people are so fixated with this aspect.

Some luxury cars have the tailpipes integrate with the rear bumper, looking almost like reflectors at the bottom of the rear bumper of the TLX. So they basically make the effort to "hide" the hideous round holes sticking out at the rear of the car. Acura hides them completely. So not sure what's the big fuss about.

Just imagine those reflectors as tailpipes. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is not a deal breaker for me, but I actually like the look of the exhaust tips on the earlier models. I would prefer exposed exhaust. Not really buying the "green" message from Acura.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Actually whats more disgusting is pretending electric cars are greener, or that people actually think the car is the source of all woes ;) Do you value the object or the image? Whats a little simulation between friends after all ;) Do some research into the container ships that bring us all our lovely gadgetry that allows us all to be so progressive, or into air travel, the same kind that shuttles people back and forth from their right of passage backpacking adventures across Europe.

Typeess is right about the deisgn though, I remember when the first bangle but 7 series came out with hidden tail pipes and it was like, RADICAL MANNN.

This wins! What do we do when the pollution is cleaner than what were trying to protect against pollution ;):D
I know companies making 'green' products are loving it, a lot of things in our everyday lives are changing for it. Wouldn't be too surprised if this whole global warming thing was all a lie, have yet to look into it though.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I actually miss the exhaust on the previous model that looked like a Quad. Mean-looking. I wish they had kept it. I guess it looks more slick without... but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I actually miss the exhaust on the previous model that looked like a Quad. Mean-looking. I wish they had kept it. I guess it looks more slick without... but thats just my opinion.
like what i say with any vehicle in it's first year of production....there's a chance they will do that in a future year model. But of course it depends on if they really see a need to change it, which i think there's a slim chance of happening when it comes to this.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If Acura ever finds their balls again we could expect real tips on a Type S, maybe some real burly quads like on the 3rd gen type S ;)

But unfortunately I feel Acura has become too much of a cipher for such boldness...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Definitely not a deal breaker with me. I won't have to clean the exhaust tips anymore, but I like the look, though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts