Acura TLX Forum banner

How can I make my TLX route around traffic automatically

12K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  J233 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 TLX with the technology package. It seems if I put a route in by setting a destination , the route will not but updated if there is traffic in the way . how can I set this ?

#3 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the Forum. I see this is your first post.

I tried setting the option Server to on. It said due to traffic it made adjustments. I did not notice any changes and turned it off. That was the closest I ever got. I will keep on eye on this thread to see if anyone got it to work for them. :)

#6 ·
I have this on and have seen no difference in how the trip gets calculated. Actually, I was relying on the GPS on the way home not long ago and it put us right into a traffic mess. The lines were showing red, which is congestion but there was no re-routing advise.

#7 ·
What is the server route under route preference. By default it is off. I turned it on and it said it made corrections due to traffic, but the map did not change as far as I can tell. Maybe you will have better luck.

#11 ·
Well, I live in Toronto and my 3 year old stand alone Garmin alarms me about traffic congestion very promptly by voice. For planned trips, it will show the best route based on the latest traffic data and the previously user defined choices for either fastest or shortest route. It will not automatically reroute while being on-route, though but the alternative routes will be shown on a Detour screen for a user to choose from, if desired.

#13 ·
Just a thought, but maybe if you tried to cancel the route and have it route you again it would avoid the traffic. My Garmin won't change the route if, for example, you change your preferences to avoid toll roads after it has routed. If you have it re-route, it will take your new settings into account. So maybe it is like that with traffic. It seems a bit goofy, but it's worth a try.

#14 ·
Worth a try I'd say. That seems like a reasonable fix. If it did reroute automatically for traffic once you had already input your destination, I could see the system rerouting constantly and being pretty annoying. This way, no that way, no this way. People would probably be searching for how to turn off the automatic rerouting.

#20 ·
Interesting new finding.....OK, so I've set 3 different destination on the NAVI since I changed the Server settings to ON for updates and noticed that each time, I get the message informing me about changes to the route based on updates from Acuralink. Basically, I put the the address in, NAVI says it is calculating, done, we are going, and after a few minutes the message about the updated route pops on the screen. Last case was at 1 AM last night (going back home) so I looked at any traffic congestion on the list but there were none displayed (I though maybe some sort of an accident or so). I followed the set route back home and it was the same that led me to the original destination a few hrs before so I was just surprised.
I am wondering if going forward I will be receiving the messages about updated routes each time I set the destination and if yes, are these updates really valid. Will be monitoring closely.

Btw, I noticed that my heating steering wheel has been working again in cold temperature (yey !) when using remote start (it was working initially and then it stopped working) and the only change I made to the system was that Server On switch for updates. Gremlins or coincidence...go figure :)

#23 ·
What is the online manual? I am aware of the Handbook, Navigation Manual, and the Owners Guide (the hardcopy that comes with the car).

P14 of the Navigation Manual, at the bottom, shows Canada as well, and P266 refers to AcuraLink as a paid subscription service. The service is provided free for one year in Canada.

#25 ·
Owner's Guide, revised 14 Nov 2014, page 39, right column:

"AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™*
View traffic flow, incidents, and construction in major metro areas. You can
also route around congestion or incidents using voice commands. Press the Talk
button before saying each command. Available in the U.S. only.
1. When en route, say “Display traffic on my route.”
A list of incidents on your route appears.
2. Say the number of the incident you want to
avoid.
3. Say “Avoid” and the incident list returns.
4. Say “Reroute” to set the new route.
*Requires AcuraLink subscription"

#24 ·
The message clearly says - updated by AcuraLink. I get traffic updates via Acuralink as well; the colors on the screen along highways change dynamically depending on the traffic conditions (green, brown, red). If I push the blue button above my head AcuraLink is being contacted. Myacura.ca account shows that I have 1 year free premium Acuralink service.
So I guess Acuralink works in Canada too.

#27 ·
Ah, got it. The manual is incorrect. It also says there is a voice command "Display Traffic on my route" but the Navigation Manual does not list this as one but the equivalent/appropriate one would be "Display traffic incidents". The latter brings up a box of possible incidents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.