Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As you can see from the Acura Division report, the ILX is not setting the world on fire by any means, and the RLX is basically a flop, but is still markedly ahead of the previous gen RL by a good amount (Only better than 200 units of the last gen RL sold in 2012!)

When I say that Acura has bet the farm on the TLX, you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sad to see that not a single Acura sedan model cracked 1,000 sales in June, while BMW sells 3-Series aplenty. I think Acura would be facing closure if the MDX and RDX were not around.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sad to see that not a single Acura sedan model cracked 1,000 sales in June, while BMW sells 3-Series aplenty. I think Acura would be facing closure if the MDX and RDX were not around.
Normally, I would agree with that. However, you have to take into account that the TSX and TL both have been out of production since April. They just don't have the cars to sell for those models.

However, out of the three new sedan models, the ILX is cruising at a pretty meh pace, and the RLX is a flop. IF the TLX is ever released, we'll see if Acura's "exciting" new direction will do anything to save the brand.

·
Registered
430 Posts
the negative percentages are downright brutal. However I do agree with D3TL that the lack of product ATM is monkey hammering them..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went to a dealer today and all I see are SUVs and demos. Sad. But I guess if you wanna buy an Acura SUV, it's a good time to do so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went to a dealer today and all I see are SUVs and demos. Sad. But I guess if you wanna buy an Acura SUV, it's a good time to do so.
I'm hoping the TLX is a hit. Otherwise, Acura should pivot to its apparent strength and become a full SUV brand, like an Asian Land Rover. I think Acura could do very well with a B-segment crossover underneath the RDX, for starters.

Rebadge the Honda HR-V / Honda Vezel, call it the Acura BDX, and count the cash rolling in. :D

You can't tell me this wouldn't be a hit...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Otherwise, Acura should pivot to its apparent strength and become a full SUV brand, like an Asian Land Rover.
That's certainly an interesting thought since it appears that the MDX/RDX are the only things keeping the lights on over at Acura.

But what would then happen if/when they release the next NSX?

I guess they could just sell it as a Honda like Nissan chose to do with the GT-R.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully, everybody noticed that overall, with all models, Acura sales year to date are 1.9% ahead of last year solely on the strength of SUV sales.

Acura is NOT dead, just a little lost in sedan sales. Hopefully I am wrong and the TLX does not flop. If the TLX, as Acura seems to betting the farm on, is a hit then both ILX and RLX sales will benefit as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In comparison:

Audi June '14 sales totaled 16,867 vehicles and was a 23% improvement over June '13. This was their 42nd consecutive record month of sales. Year to date in 2014 they have sold 84,349 vehicles which is a 13.6% improvement over the same period last year. And it was not based solely on the sales of the lower end models as one might assume. Actually the upper end models including the A6, A7, A8, and Q7 made up one third of total sales with an increase of 16% YTD. This is on the eve of new updated A7 and A8 2015 models on the way. Surprisingly the Q7 SUV has seen sales gains of 28.2% YTD and is essentially a vehicle that was first sold in the US as a 2007 model with only a minor facelift in 2009.

BMW America sales (not including Mini) rose 11.5% in June '14 to 30,201 compared to 27,074 in '13. They also saw a 12.1% rise in vehicles sold year to date with a 6-month total of 157,382 vehicles. Over two thirds of those numbers were from their passenger cars with the rest being SUVs.

Mercedes-Benz (not including Smart) recorded a 17.6% increase in the United States for June '14 compared to June '13. Total vehicle sales for the month was 26,506 with just over 7600 of those being the M and GLK SUVs. Year to date they have seen an increase of 7.5% with a total of 151,624 vehicles being sold.

Lexus saw an increase in sales as well for June 2014 with a 10.1% increase in volume over the previous year reaching 23,518 vehicles. Year to date they are up 17.1% to 138,689 vehicles. The SUVs (RX, GX, LX) account for 59,521 of the total for the first half of the year.

So in light of those numbers Acura is not doing very well by just maintaining the status quo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yea but its not really fair to bring audi into this comparison, especially when looking at the Raw numbers. Audi retails SO MANY more models that its inevitable they were going to outsell Acura.

I think a better benchmark for Acura is Infinti, Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with Acura is that they chose, beginning in 2005, to change the market niche they wanted to occupy. Instead of remaining with the premium market they innovated their way into, they chose to move ahead into full luxury, dropped all their sports models, and largely (with the exception of their suv offerings) failed for the most part. Wheras Audi has carved, maintained and grown their luxury/sporty niche quite intelligently with a marketing and targeting scheme that other luxury lines should copy.

I am not an Audi driver or even interested in owning one, but I have to admire how they created their niche and enriched that position.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea but its not really fair to bring audi into this comparison, especially when looking at the Raw numbers. Audi retails SO MANY more models that its inevitable they were going to outsell Acura.

Actually for the past six months Acura has had 4 sedans in its lineup and 2 SUVs

Infiniti has the G sedan, q50, q60 coupe and convertible, q70, qx50, qx60, qx70, and qx80. That's 8 different vehicles.

Audi has the A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, TT, R8, Allroad, Q5, and Q7. Thats 11 vehicles. I'm not counting the RS and S variants as separate vehicles.

In any case Audi had lower sales than Acura in the past and is now growing by leaps and bounds as are many of Acuras competitors. Acura is left basically standing still.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Also, Acura is only available in North America (1986), Hong Kong (1991), Mexico (2004) and China (2006). For the latter, no only does it take time to build a brand but like all Jap auto makers, they need to fight against the current of anti-Jap sentiment. So the main market for Acura is still and only North America.

Source: Wikipedia.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually for the past six months Acura has had 4 sedans in its lineup and 2 SUVs

Infiniti has the G sedan, q50, q60 coupe and convertible, q70, qx50, qx60, qx70, and qx80. That's 8 different vehicles.

Audi has the A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, TT, R8, Allroad, Q5, and Q7. Thats 11 vehicles. I'm not counting the RS and S variants as separate vehicles.

In any case Audi had lower sales than Acura in the past and is now growing by leaps and bounds as are many of Acuras competitors. Acura is left basically standing still.
2 of 4 sedans were reaching end of life and even end of production.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, Acura is only available in North America (1986), Hong Kong (1991), Mexico (2004) and China (2006). For the latter, no only does it take time to build a brand but like all Jap auto makers, they need to fight against the current of anti-Jap sentiment. So the main market for Acura is still and only North America.

Source: Wikipedia.
The numbers I quoted are only for US sales. Not global.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts