Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to introduce myself here. I am a longtime lurker of this forum and other Honda/Acura forums, but I like how friendly the people are here and decided to create an account here to share my thoughts about this car, and to learn from current owner's experiences.

I currently drive a 2009 Honda Civic LX because I wanted the best fuel economy possible. The Civic gets 40 MPG, but I can't stand the road noise, bumpy ride (compared to larger cars), and overall cheap feeling of the interior (plastic interior with fabric seats instead of leather/wood grain trim). I am hoping that the TLX solves all of these nuisances. Don't get me wrong though, the Civic is great for people starting out in life, students and conservative adults who want to get 40 MPG without investing in a hybrid like a Toyota Prius. The Civic was also small enough to fit in tight city street parks (I always point this out to SUV owners who think SUVs are the greatest thing since sliced bread).

I will most likely buy a TLX 2.4 liter with technology package, but I would have to test drive every TLX model to be sure. I am more fascinated with the dual-clutch transmission than the 9 speed automatic. My perfect TLX would be the V6 engine paired with a dual-clutch transmission. I also want to compare the TLX with the RDX since the price is similar.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
DCT with a V6 would be an interesting option

I just want to introduce myself here. I am a longtime lurker of this forum and other Honda/Acura forums, but I like how friendly the people are here and decided to create an account here to share my thoughts about this car, and to learn from current owner's experiences.

[edited]

I will most likely buy a TLX 2.4 liter with technology package, but I would have to test drive every TLX model to be sure. I am more fascinated with the dual-clutch transmission than the 9 speed automatic. My perfect TLX would be the V6 engine paired with a dual-clutch transmission. I also want to compare the TLX with the RDX since the price is similar.

Thanks,
Chris
Very good introduction. Thanks for taking the time.

I love my DCT. I usually beat everyone leaving the light without even trying. For me the shifts have been smooth.

I really enjoy my I4. It has all of the power I need and is fun to drive.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

Before everyone offers a ton of opinions on what YOU should buy, perhaps some insight into your priorities for what you want to move in too. Obviously refinement(sound) and some luxury has become a priority to you but please share what are your needs?

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Welcome.
What ever your choice, you will enjoy it. Make sure you test drive the car you will live with for years to come.

Reactions: Summest and ugpo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to test drive the 4 cylinder and V6 TLX before making a decision on which trim to buy. My budget is $35,000, so that's why I was thinking of buying the TLX 4 cylinder with technology.

With regards to what I am looking for in my next car:

1. Quiet cabin (TLX has triple seal doors and sound proof windshield glass)
2. Good sound system (ELS sounds interesting. I already heard it and thought the sound quality is great)
3. Higher quality leather (Acura uses better leather than Honda, according to the Honda forums)
4. Faster gear shifts (the Civic is jerky when shifting, so a dual clutch transmission should solve the problem. I am also hoping that software updates will fix any transmission problem the TLX is experiencing as people are reporting on this forum)
5. Overall good technology package (which is why I would buy a tech package instead of the base model)
6. Good fuel economy (at least in the 30s. I know the TLX may not get the 40+ MPG of the Honda Civic, but it's an acceptable trade-off for the luxury the TLX offers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to test drive the 4 cylinder and V6 TLX before making a decision on which trim to buy. My budget is $35,000, so that's why I was thinking of buying the TLX 4 cylinder with technology.

With regards to what I am looking for in my next car:

1. Quiet cabin (TLX has triple seal doors and sound proof windshield glass)
2. Good sound system (ELS sounds interesting. I already heard it and thought the sound quality is great)
3. Higher quality leather (Acura uses better leather than Honda, according to the Honda forums)
4. Faster gear shifts (the Civic is jerky when shifting, so a dual clutch transmission should solve the problem. I am also hoping that software updates will fix any transmission problem the TLX is experiencing as people are reporting on this forum)
5. Overall good technology package (which is why I would buy a tech package instead of the base model)
6. Good fuel economy (at least in the 30s. I know the TLX may not get the 40+ MPG of the Honda Civic, but it's an acceptable trade-off for the luxury the TLX offers.
Thanks for the specificity regarding your needs. Points 1-3 are a spot on match for the TLX 2.4 while some folks do mention that the bass is perhaps a little weak with the ELS system the overall sound quality is quite good short of going custom. Point 4, I assume you have done your homework and the torque converter is supposed deal with the "jerkiness" that your Cvic has. Dual clutch themselves can be quite jerky. Point 5 for the value of an entry level luxury vehicle its very hard to beat. Point 6, well I am a V6 driver but even that one has pleasantly surprised me so I'll let someone else comment on the 2.4. For value the TLX 2.4 with Tech is a really good buy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts