Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I took the rear pads out and connected my diag tool to put the rear brakes in maintenance mode. Before initiating maintenance mode, like an idiot i pulled the parking break switch up instead of pushing it to get the parking brakes to retract. I didnt notice my mistake until the piston in both calipers completely pushed their way out and on the floor.

At this point, i figured no problem. I’ll just remove the actuator on both rear wheels, remove the calipers and manually push the pistons back in. This I did no problem. I them completed changing out the rear pads and replaced the actuator on both sides once everything was back together. I then bleed the brake like usual. Now the brakes seems to be working just fine, but now my electronic parking brake will not set displaying a “rear parking brake actuator failure”. This also triggers other diag codes such as adaptive cruise disabled and blind spot monitoring disabled. I used my diag tool to try and reset these codes, and they just pop right back up as soon as I clear them.

How do I reset the rear caliper actuators or readjust them so i can clear all of these codes and reuse my EPS?

Please help, i feel as though I have tried everything I can think of! Thank for you time..

-Blake

· Super Moderator
2015 Acura TLX, V6, P-AWS, Advance package
1,139 Posts
Yep, those rear brakes are one place I will stay out of. But you may want to check all the sensors in that area to see if a connector was dislodged or a wire sheared when the piston was actuated.
Not much help from me. but let us know what you find out along the way.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Problem fixed.

I wish this was more dramatic but it’s not. As I had said previously, The pad and calipers have been fixed and the wheels are back on. Everything works as far as the braking / petal feel etc.. with the exception of the parking brake. When you hit the button to set or release the parking brake, only the drivers side actuates. Also, of course i have the DIAG messages saying problem with breaking system, parking brake problem, ect..

Well my wife just had to drive her car. This is even though every 10 seconds the car chines and says release parking brake! Well she drove like this for 30 miles. Got to her destination and turned off the car. When she got back in and started to head to home, all of the DIAG codes and lights were gone! Everything appeared to work again like usual. When she got home I tested the parking brakes. The set and release just like normal, on both rear wheels. Not sure what made everything reset and go back to normal.

So there it is.. If you accidentally trigger the parking brake actualtor while your calipers are off the brake rotor and the pistons push out, disonnect the calipers and carefully press the caliper pistons back in ( I used a bearing tool and hammer. ) Make sure to keep everything very clean before reassembly. Complete the brake job as usual, bleed your brakes and put the wheels back on. Then simply start driving it. I suppose it has some sort of recalibration function that eventually takes place.

My sincere thanks to everyone who commented.

-Blake

· Registered
4 Posts
Update: Problem fixed.

I wish this was more dramatic but it’s not. As I had said previously, The pad and calipers have been fixed and the wheels are back on. Everything works as far as the braking / petal feel etc.. with the exception of the parking brake. When you hit the button to set or release the parking brake, only the drivers side actuates. Also, of course i have the DIAG messages saying problem with breaking system, parking brake problem, ect..

Well my wife just had to drive her car. This is even though every 10 seconds the car chines and says release parking brake! Well she drove like this for 30 miles. Got to her destination and turned off the car. When she got back in and started to head to home, all of the DIAG codes and lights were gone! Everything appeared to work again like usual. When she got home I tested the parking brakes. The set and release just like normal, on both rear wheels. Not sure what made everything reset and go back to normal.

So there it is.. If you accidentally trigger the parking brake actualtor while your calipers are off the brake rotor and the pistons push out, disonnect the calipers and carefully press the caliper pistons back in ( I used a bearing tool and hammer. ) Make sure to keep everything very clean before reassembly. Complete the brake job as usual, bleed your brakes and put the wheels back on. Then simply start driving it. I suppose it has some sort of recalibration function that eventually takes place.

My sincere thanks to everyone who commented.

-Blake
I am going through this right now . Did your light ever come back on ?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, its been good for a while now and it never came back on.

I would just change the pads out like you would typicaly do, then bleed all four wheels. After that, crank her up, then repeatedly set the and release the parking brake. You can feel it just by petal feel while your holding the brake pedal down while actuating the parking brake. Then go ahead and start driving.

At first, the car kept beeping, saying the parking brake was still set. That was not pleasent, as it kept doing so the whole trip. ( a 30 minute drive ) but after we got back in the car to drive back home, the light went off and the beeping stopped. Everything has been back to normal since.

Hope this helps..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts