Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 TLX base model. It has 55,000 miles and is a bit slow at take off. Is this normal or should I have the fuel injectors cleaned? Also, should I fill up with high octane gasoline (petrol)?

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
Most all TLX vehicles are a little 'slowish' off take off. Most car sellers will want to save a few dollars by filling the last tank with regular fuel. You might consider a Sprint Booster to aid in acceleration. Do a search here on this board for more information on Sprint Booster. These vehicles don't have a history of dirty injectors.

·
Super Moderator
844 Posts
What mode is the IDS current set? Economy, Normal, Sport, Sport+?
In Economy, you have shift points to get good Economy! (duh!)
As you go up, the engine will wind up more until the next shift. My default is Sport+ (you can set the default)
Try the other settings to see if you have the same experience.

Reactions: Crashmaster

·
Super Moderator
738 Posts
What mode is the IDS current set? Economy, Normal, Sport, Sport+?
In Economy, you have shift points to get good Economy! (duh!)
As you go up, the engine will wind up more until the next shift. My default is Sport+ (you can set the default)
Try the other settings to see if you have the same experience.
Gary brings up a good point - are you in Econ mode? There's a world of difference between that setting and either Sport or Sport+. My default driving mode is Sport and every now and then, I set it to Economy and it drives me nuts. And to be honest, I don't really see a noticeable difference in the gas mileage between those two modes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gary has a very good point about the IDS mode. High octane or “premium” fuel helps in two ways: the added octane allows the ECU to maximize spark advance, which extends the burn time on the power stroke, making more power. This is continuously monitored for optimal operation with the knock sensors giving feedback to the ECU when spark advance is too far ahead. The second thing is the additive packages tend to produce fewer residues and deposits in the fuel system, important for direct injection, which tends to require more injector maintenance. Other factors could include worn or fouled spark plugs, clogged air filter and burnt or worn automatic transmission fluid - hint - if you haven’t changed it, do two or three fluid changes separated by a week or so I’d driving, and you’ll have most (~90%) of the old fluid replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts