Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great forum and lots of great info!

Thought I would share my experience with the TLX to day….

Was looking at the TL about 2 years ago and I truly loved the SHL-AWD driving experience, especially how it handled wet pavement in tight corners – very good grip and lots of fun. However, I decided to wait for the new TLX and got very excited when I saw the prototype at the Canadian Auto Show in the winter. I was very anxious to get my hands on the real production car and saw the first demo Toronto downtown about a month ago at some new car display venue. Well, I was disappointed with the toned down exterior shape, the hidden exhaust and the look of the car in general. Kind of lost interest and went back to the drawing board – A4 and Q50. However, a friend of mine reminded me last week about the TLX and I decided to give it a chance.

Got to the dealer and test drove the I4 Tech model. It was late and getting dark so I was not paying attention to the colors and the exterior but somehow the car looked more intriguing to me. The dealer let me drive on my own and wow, I really liked the experience. I think the steering and cornering is just fantastic, very peppy and comfortably to drive. Checked all the driving modes, definitely liked the Sport one. I took my time (the dealer was calling me and asked politely to come back as they were closing for the day :) and drove it on tight streets and the highway as well, definitely could feel the luxury and the sportiness of the car combined with the utter silence inside. Two things that struck me, though – you really need some time to get used to all the buttons and screens. There was already so much said about the center stack and I generally agree that it is too busy and, to me, the 7” bottom screen is also way too big for my taste and too bright for night cruising. I am not sure if it can be dimmed separately from the navi screen above (which can be brighter and it should to be useful), but that would be definitely beneficial. That’s my issue here (don’t care about redundancy, etc). Second thing that caught my attention was how the engine and the tranny were behaving when I was going on a 30 mile speed limit street. Well, I felt like the car was trying to push me to go faster all the time and the tranny was constantly shifting gears, RPMs flying up and down; this car definitely does not like to drive slow :) Switched the screen to show real fuel consumption and the bar was going left and right, showing almost nothing and then shooting to like 12 litres/100 km. Didn’t like the experience, but the car was growing on me and needless to say, I decided to come back with my wife and drive the V6 option.

Next day we test drove the V6 Tech. I just loved it! Felt like I had full control over the car, it did a great job when I pushed it and it was waiting for me when I was just cruising. Didn’t feel the extra weight at all or the heavier nose overhang as some reviews pointed to. My wife had the same opinion and she loved the steering and the cornering with the P-AWS technology. I was really surprised how quickly the car was still growing on us and I really liked it. To be fair, we asked to drive the I4 again, just for instant comparison, and it was the same experience to me as the day before (actually, this model had the aero kit and 19” tires installed and I could feel the difference in ride quality – more firm) and my wife also preferred the V6 driving experience. Strangely, we both initially thought we would not like the push button gear selector but we both actually found it quite intriguing and got used to it in a few minutes (it is actually nicely designed and you don’t have to look at the selector in order to shift from D to P, R, etc. after a while). I also like the larger tires that come with the V6 model.

In summary, I am not looking for a top of the line luxury and/or crazy sportiness but I like good quality and a fun ride too, sometime screeching tires here and there. I think the TLX is a good, practical fit for us and a great package for not some crazy amount of $$. We’ve been also Honda fans/owners and like the reliability as well as their customer service experience, hope our first Acura would prove the same. The looks/ design are very subjective – we are not thrilled, but the car does not look bad at all and it is true that it looks way better in a real life than on pictures. I really like how the thing drives and handles and I think I can live with this large, blue screen (my wife does not mind) in the middle of the stack.

We have not decided on the color and will wait for the Graphite Metallic Pearl to see it first (the initial pick was the white pearl) before we make the choice and I think it will be the V6 Tech FWD; don’t think the additional weight, $$ and mileage penalty associated with the AWD option would sway me to wait till end of November.

J233

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the review,good insight. Curious about the fluctuating mileage issue, what mode (IDS) were you in when that happened or did it occur in multiple modes? I know with the V6 the gears have a better spread in the middle (two overdrive gears) and I wonder how much that would help solve that problem. I didn't notice the frequent shifting in my test but then I was playing with different settings and trying to gauge acceleration not stability (I could learn something from you on that).

Poor Acura, on the TL virtually all the reviewers complained about button overload so now that they have gone touch screen for which they are getting criticized. I guess the moral is try to hit the main stream and to **** with everything else. I would say they are not getting as many complaints about the new setup as they did in the TL.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx ugpo,

I noticed this behaviour mostly while in Sport mode (didn't try Sport+ out of respect for the car being very new). The fluctuating mileage was linked to fluctuating RPMs when I was driving slow on a long street, which makes sense. I think the car is just so eager to go fast with this new tranny and has a sensitive gas pedal. I would not call it an issue but rather a I4/8 AT driving characteristics and some folks will like it for sure. The average combined mileage was still smth like 10.5 l/km.

Wrt lower screen I think, for me, it is the combination of the angle the screen is positioned at and that sharp blue color that I find annoying while driving at night. Definitely prefer this solution over the configuration from TL, I guess it is a matter of playing with it more.

·
Registered
430 Posts
welcome and thanks for the insight. I wonder if the powertrain will "calm down" as it works itself in?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great to have another forum member from Toronto. I think we have quite the representation on here now. Post some pictures up of you r TLX if you get the chance. And thanks for the write up here. Plenty of good info for current and potential buyers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thx guys !

A quick update on my dual screen brightness issue.... I managed to check it today and it is possible to dim the bottom screen independently from the NAVI and this makes me very happy. As a bonus, there are options for 4 colors so if one does not like the blue background then there is a choice for either red, amber or green. I know that this may be a nitpicking on my part but it was an important detail.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great to have another forum member from Toronto. I think we have quite the representation on here now. Post some pictures up of you r TLX if you get the chance. And thanks for the write up here. Plenty of good info for current and potential buyers.
Agree, good representation from the GTA, indeed.

I will as soon as I get one; still contemplating some choices, including exterior color ;)

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Thx guys !

A quick update on my dual screen brightness issue.... I managed to check it today and it is possible to dim the bottom screen independently from the NAVI and this makes me very happy. As a bonus, there are options for 4 colors so if one does not like the blue background then there is a choice for either red, amber or green. I know that this may be a nitpicking on my part but it was an important detail.
Good to know. I also read you can set the wallpaper. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
hi all, i live in markham

currently a 2001 acura EL owner but looking to buy a new semi/luxury/sports sedan to replace it

TLX ranks pretty high on my list mainly because of acura's reliability. will probably go for TLX SH-AWD TECH model if i settle for an acura.

other choices include the upcoming 2015 infiniti q50 AWD or the audi a4 quattro

i wonder which of the 3 brands has the best reliability (not looking to lease so it will be a long term thing)....

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
hi all, i live in markham

currently a 2001 acura EL owner but looking to buy a new semi/luxury/sports sedan to replace it

TLX ranks pretty high on my list mainly because of acura's reliability. will probably go for TLX SH-AWD TECH model if i settle for an acura.

other choices include the upcoming 2015 infiniti q50 AWD or the audi a4 quattro

i wonder which of the 3 brands has the best reliability (not looking to lease so it will be a long term thing)....
Welcome r.johnson,

I think you will find a lot of members looking for the V6 with SH-AWD. I think you may need to get the advance package to get AWD, but I could be wrong. I went for the I4.

What color are you thinking about? I just got my TLX I4 Tech in Basque Red Pearl II five days ago and love driving it in Sports mode. Enough about me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Welcome r.johnson,

I think you will find a lot of members looking for the V6 with SH-AWD. I think you may need to get the advance package to get AWD, but I could be wrong. I went for the I4.

What color are you thinking about? I just got my TLX I4 Tech in Basque Red Pearl II five days ago and love driving it in Sports mode. Enough about me.
according to acura canada's website, there are 3 trims for SH-AWD: base, tech and elite

i would assume elite is the same ad advance.

for my needs, tech is enough. had they offer leather seats on the base trim that will be enough for me as well if i am frugal

color? prolly graphite metalic, and the black as a second choice

will likely add a roof lid spoiler too.....been thinking about the aero kit or at least the front underbody but its starting to get pricey

has acura been okay with first-gen vehicles in the past? lots of quirks to be sorted out?

·
Registered
438 Posts
just test drove the V6 FWD today. very very nice. much more better feel than the infinity q50 i test drove after. we might have a winner here. having said that, this is the first time in my life to have ever driven a V6 car, and wow.....quite overwhelmed with the instant acceleration compared to my 2001 EL which is basically a civic lol. if i dont watch my speedometer constantly i may get a speeding ticket easily

so after the test drive, i have been thinking if the 2.4L engine might be enough for my needs. its very unfortunate that acura does not offer AWD for 2.4L models. do you guys feel the FWD P-AWS system is good enough to handle toronto's winter or is SH-AWD a must?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
according to acura canada's website, there are 3 trims for SH-AWD: base, tech and elite

i would assume elite is the same ad advance.

for my needs, tech is enough. had they offer leather seats on the base trim that will be enough for me as well if i am frugal

color? prolly graphite metalic, and the black as a second choice

will likely add a roof lid spoiler too.....been thinking about the aero kit or at least the front underbody but its starting to get pricey

has acura been okay with first-gen vehicles in the past? lots of quirks to be sorted out?
Good. Sounds like you know more about the SH-AWD than I. For some reason I thought it was an advanced feature like the Adaptive Cruise Control. Very good.

I like to be frugal as well. The Tech package is more than enough for me. At first I thought it just had the Nav component. There is much more offered.

Graphite Metallic does look good. I wish it was a bit lighter so it stood out from the black, IMO.

In the past, I bought the first-gen 2004 Acura TSX. I had no issue with the car. I liked it so much I bought a 2007 TSX in the exact same model type and color. Friends didn't know I bought a new car, but I did get fog lights. I just wanted to make sure the same car feeling lasted longer. Originally I came in to test the new style of the 2004 TL. The TSX was a better fit for me at the time moving from a Honda Accord.

I have only had my TLX for 5 days. I found it odd they didn't offer fog lights or a spare tire, but I got over it. I am happy with the car and how it drives. Of course it looks great.

I agree, the add-ons add up fast.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
just test drove the V6 FWD today.

so after the test drive, i have been thinking if the 2.4L engine might be enough for my needs. its very unfortunate that acura does not offer AWD for 2.4L models. do you guys feel the FWD P-AWS system is good enough to handle toronto's winter or is SH-AWD a must?
I cannot answer that question since I live in South Florida, but I know there are a lot of Canadians here that can. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
i thought the lack of a spare tire is standard for all TLX models?

ya im still debating on the spare tire issue. but then i do have a CAA/AAA subscription so i guess i will take my chances. at least in my opinion, now that cars have tire pressure monitors if one of the tires is off you will prolly know pretty early on

fog lights are only offered in the elite package. the salesperson told me most people go for the advance/elite model mainly for the fog lights, but she said it can be added as an option if you stick with a base or tech trim (also saw the TLX add-on parts sold on ebay too)

so the tech package does not give you ANY fog lights at all? not even halogen fog lights? the LED fog light add on is a whooping thousand bucks, not to be taken lightly

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cannot answer that question since I live in South Florida, but I know there are a lot of Canadians here that can. :)
IMHO, it is not "a must". We don't get a lot of snow in Toronto, maybe with the exception of one or two winters in the last 10 years or so and the city is pretty good with plowing the streets promtly. Majority of cars here are FWD. That said, SH-AWD is not only beneficial in snow but offers great traction on wet pavement and definitely helps with cornering. P-AWS is some sort of a compensation and personally, I really like it, but it is not the same as AWD system - basically you still only have power coming from the two front wheels instead of being intelligently distributed across all four.
Another factor in considering SH-AWD is extra weight and fuel mileage penalty that comes with the choice.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
i thought the lack of a spare tire is standard for all TLX models?

ya im still debating on the spare tire issue. but then i do have a CAA/AAA subscription so i guess i will take my chances. at least in my opinion, now that cars have tire pressure monitors if one of the tires is off you will prolly know pretty early on

fog lights are only offered in the elite package. the salesperson told me most people go for the advance/elite model mainly for the fog lights, but she said it can be added as an option if you stick with a base or tech trim (also saw the TLX add-on parts sold on ebay too)

so the tech package does not give you ANY fog lights at all? not even halogen fog lights? the LED fog light add on is a whooping thousand bucks, not to be taken lightly
Correct, the Tech Package does not have fog lights. The I4 only has base and tech. Luckily I signed up early and got the $500 accessory offer (MSRP). I bought the spare tire option, trunk carpet and cargo hooks. I am not ready to part with my spare. Acura offers a free road service but I also have AAA/CAA as well. I just like being able to fix my issues myself. I guess I will get over it on the next lease.

Yes, $675 Fog lights cost over $1,000 after installation. Gee, even the $369 spare tire costs over $600 dollars after installation. The $12 Cargo hooks cost over $123 after installation. Luckily, I was only charged $200 for all three. I gave up on the fog lights. With the LED highlights, maybe I don't need fog lights?

I get my spare tire kit installed this Saturday along with getting my windows tinted. Yippee! I got the trunk mat and cargo hooks when I picked up the car.

If I didn't get the free $500 worth of accessories, I think I wouldn't have gotten any accessories. It was nice they reduced the installation charges for me. Maybe work that into your deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got my V4 Tech yesterday. Added the fog lights , and they look great, but the LED headlights are amazingly bright. Think the fog lights will be more of an ornament, really. The dress up the look of the car, but not really necessary.
As to the AWD, I really think driving with care and attention is more important . People get AWD and think they are bulletproof, instead of slowing down and drive according to road conditions.
I live in an area where we get a lot of snow, and have gone winters without snow tires. Just slow down more in corners, don't follow the guy ahead so closely, and stay home when the roads are truly awful. Bad road conditions need to be respected.
I'm always amazed at how people drive like it's bare pavement beneath them in winter, and make no changes in their driving habits in winter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts