Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem is posted hear in this forum but it says the thread is closed. I have a problem with the climate control system in my TLX set at 74F the car seems to get cold and drafty after about an hour of driving especially on the highway at higher speeds. Does anyone else have this problem, I did notice someone else also posted the same thing, the car is at the dealer now and they said they'll will have it for a while? Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

This problem is posted hear in this forum but it says the thread is closed. I have a problem with the climate control system in my TLX set at 74F the car seems to get cold and drafty after about an hour of driving especially on the highway at higher speeds. Does anyone else have this problem, I did notice someone else also posted the same thing, the car is at the dealer now and they said they'll will have it for a while? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you made your first post.

Please let us know how it goes at the dealer. Seems there are other TLX owners with the same issue. Glad to see you are taking care of it by visiting the dealer.
:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I noticed the same behavior. Using the "auto" climate mode at 74 as well, I found the blower chooses the windshield and floor heater most of the time. After a certain point, the window heater begins to blow cooler air while the floor heater remains hot also at higher speeds. The windshield fan warms back up at low speeds or in stop and go traffic. I've switched the blower from auto to floor and front facing vents, which solves the problem. I'm interested in hearing what the dealer finds though, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I read about climate control tech generally and it was saying that once the set temperature is reached in the cabin, the system takes in outside fresh air. When it is the winter months this results in some pretty cold air pumping in as the temperature oscillates around the set temperature.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm glad that this issue has been revisited. I think I may have been the original poster, but I was away from the car for several weeks. My take is consistent with those presented, although I think there may be two questions. First, why does the front window blower (defroster) come on when the set point is reached? It blows outside air, which in the winter is cold air, into the drivers face. Second why goes this car require a set point of 74 or so to be comfortable (with winter coats) when all previous Acuras were comfortable at about 70? I know I can take it out of Auto, but shouldn't Auto maintain the desired temp?

I haven't been to the dealer with it so I look forward to hearing from any of you that have it addressed.

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Please keep us up to date. My TLX is currently at the dealer for something else, but both MY TLX and the loaner I'm driving are exhibiting the same behavior. It's so weird to have to drive with the temperature at 80. Even at 75 yesterday, it was blowing out cold air.

I distinctly remember at 72-74 my TSX being unbearable LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone what makes the defroster/floor fan kick in when on the Auto setting?? The other day, as with dahntahn_pgh, above, it came on when on the highway and the inside temperature seemed to reach a reasonable level. It then started blowing cool outside air in my face. Today, in cooler 20 degrees, it never came on! Is it driven by outside humidity that might fog up the window? or outside temperature? or what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm glad that this issue has been revisited. I think I may have been the original poster, but I was away from the car for several weeks. My take is consistent with those presented, although I think there may be two questions. First, why does the front window blower (defroster) come on when the set point is reached? It blows outside air, which in the winter is cold air, into the drivers face. Second why goes this car require a set point of 74 or so to be comfortable (with winter coats) when all previous Acuras were comfortable at about 70? I know I can take it out of Auto, but shouldn't Auto maintain the desired temp?

I haven't been to the dealer with it so I look forward to hearing from any of you that have it addressed.

Thanks
I suppose you could turn the air off altogether once it gets to the proper climate so that it doesn't bring in outside air. I think they do that to keep the cabin feeling fresh. Its not a perfect system. I can see it working better in the summer than the winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New TLX Owner with heater issues

I've had my TLX for two months and I'm experiencing problems with my heater also. The heat comes out cooler on the driver side than on the passenger side. On the heater mode it puts more air on the front windshield than the heater ducts under the dash. Same issue on two 2015 TLX loaner cars I used. The dealership service tech said to use the AC dash vents to solve the problem. Point is, you shouldn't have to use the AC dash vents to heat the car. I have to set the car on 80 degrees to get it warm.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I've had my TLX for two months and I'm experiencing problems with my heater also. The heat comes out cooler on the driver side than on the passenger side. On the heater mode it puts more air on the front windshield than the heater ducts under the dash. Same issue on two 2015 TLX loaner cars I used. The dealership service tech said to use the AC dash vents to solve the problem. Point is, you shouldn't have to use the AC dash vents to heat the car. I have to set the car on 80 degrees to get it warm.
Give Acura Customer Relations a call and explain you aren't happy about the work-around.

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is not how my TLX operates. The TL/TLX automatically adjust heating/cooling on the passenger vs driver side based on the sunlight sensor and GPS (for cars with navigation). See p203 of the Handbook. Something is not right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've talked to one of the dealer's service managers and also Acura Client Relations. The service manager said he puts his thermostat on 78 to keep his car warm. The Client Relations Rep. didn't want to compare the TLX to other cars. He said if the heater works this way with all the other TLX's then it was designed to work this way and so it must be working fine. He also suggested to use the max heat setting if you need it warmer. What a bunch of bull. Not sure if the Texas Lemon Law will apply to this, but I guess that is my next step, unless Acura comes up with a way to fix this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have this issue as well using auto setting. My TSX would cycle through modes to keep cabin at constant temp. The TLX does not seem to know when to cycle the modes or fan speed? I am always cold in mid section of body. I will report on my first service on anything they say about this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think most of these cars (2015 TLX) have this issue, but for some reason Acura is ignoring it. I'm surprised more people on the forum have commented on it or maybe they have and I'm just late to this discussion.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is this conclusion about most of the cars having this problem based on reading forum reports? If so, then you are likely way off the mark. As has been said many times most owners only visit the forums when they are searching out the solution to a problem. The rest of the owners might not even know that the forum exists.

Unless you have first hand stats from a dealer or Acura HO then there is no sound basis for the statement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting response! I drove two other TLX's at the dealership I bought mine at and they had the same issue. I also talked to the Service Manager and he drives one and his does the same thing. I have a friend that has one and his is doing the same thing. That's five cars out of five cars. I believe my statement is good. Based off my contact with the dealership service department and Acura Client Relations, I don't think they want to acknowledge there is a problem with this car. I ran into the same problem with the transmission problem on this car. Anyone can disagree with me, I just hope they don't work for Acura, then their response would be suspect.

·
Registered
666 Posts
OK, your experience with five out of five adds credibility, but unless you have access to the entire product line the statement that most have this problem is not accurate. However, this raises the possibility of it being a software/firmware related. My car is the Canadian Elite with Auto settings and it does not exhibit these symptoms, at least not in my driving circumstances from summer thru to winter. So it seems that they operate differently. Is the difference the Canadian vs US model, or Elite vs Base/Tech?

And in case you were wondering, I have no alliance with any dealer, Acura Canada or Honda. I would be very annoyed if my car were to start exhibiting the problem you described. Keep pushing to get it resolved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. It's been very frustrating so far. One other thing that has not helped. A few days after I bought the car I discovered the rear bumper had been repainted. The dealership replaced the bumper, but I still wonder if anything else on the car was damaged.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.