Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to successfully install a 2018 heated steering wheel kit on my 2017 TLX base model. There are 2 wires that have to be added to plug in into the new cable reel, and a power relay circuit. Also the back steering wheel cover has to be cut to accommodate the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
262 Posts
This is great news for those of us who have been wondering if it's feasible. Can you go into detail on what wires you added and how, as well as what's involved with the relay circuit? Once into the project, it may become obvious, but it would be great to have pictures and a better description. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures of the wiring installation. I’ll take off the covers soon and upload them for those interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks nice, and this gives us an idea of what to do with our steering wheel. I am looking forward to seeing the installation process.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I figure that it can't be too complex wiring-wise, with a constant hot wire being switched by an ignition lead, and, of course, a ground. There must be, though, some sort of "logic box" to take the momentary steering wheel switch and turn it into a latched 12V circuit. (Maybe it's in the switch module itself?) It would be nice to know this and which wires/terminals to use and where.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure that it can't be too complex wiring-wise, with a constant hot wire being switched by an ignition lead, and, of course, a ground. There must be, though, some sort of "logic box" to take the momentary steering wheel switch and turn it into a latched 12V circuit. (Maybe it's in the switch module itself?) It would be nice to know this and which wires/terminals to use and where.
The control box is on the steering wheel itself, along with the switch. Like you said you are only supplying ground and power through a relay.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Good to know. From where did you pull your constant and switched 12V?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. From where did you pull your constant and switched 12V?
Switched power came from spare fuse 11, with a fuse tap ( I’m planning on changing this in the future for a cleaner installation). I added a fuse on fuse box B for constant power.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just checking back in to see if you may have had a chance to get pics of the connectors and/or a clearer explanation of what needed to be done with them. Did you simply cut the appropriate wires, extend them, and connect them to the constant and switched power and ground? Did you happen to note wire colors and/or pin positions? Very interested in doing this before winter sets in, and any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just checking back in to see if you may have had a chance to get pics of the connectors and/or a clearer explanation of what needed to be done with them. Did you simply cut the appropriate wires, extend them, and connect them to the constant and switched power and ground? Did you happen to note wire colors and/or pin positions? Very interested in doing this before winter sets in, and any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Same questions, very interested in this install for my 2015. Pictures would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i recently also installed the Acura oem remote starter and the steering wheel heats up in cold mornings along with the heated seats and of course the heater. Here are some pictures of my install. Constant power came from the side fuse box, I added a 10A fuse and added a terminal end from a fuse tap to connect it. Switched power came from the thick orange wire in top front coming into the fuse box using a blue posi tap, I added a inline 7.5A fuse to this connection. And finally the ground came from the ground point right above the fuse box.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks, PRM5. This will be very helpful if Me gets Me a kit for Christmas! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed now that it’s colder, my heated seats do not come on when the car is remote start mode even when the temp is 25F. Trying to find a way to make them work. I’m thinking of leaving a weight on the seat overnight, and see what happens

·
Registered
262 Posts
What do you mean? The seat heaters worked before you installed the wheel, and now they don't? One should not have affected the other. Also, weight in the seat will have no influence on the seat heater functioning or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts