Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between getting a TLX 2.4L versus the V6 because I can get the ventilated seats in the V6 with the advance package. How well do the ventilated seats work? I know that these are usually summer items, but if you used the ventilated seats in the winter, will it also blow warm/hot air?

With regards to the heated seats, do they warm up the back as well? I just tested the Acura RLX hybrid and the heaters definitely heated the back, which got me wondering if the ventilated seats were the second source of heat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ventilated seats are for cooling only, nice for hot days. Heating is from the seat and back warmers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I find back heat is mainly lower lumbar only, and not to the shoulder blades. This is electric seat heat, not warm air ventilation, as far as i can tell - based on how fast they warm up.

Is there actual air flow in seat heat mode? I doubt it as that would be fighting the seat heat until the cabin warmed up, but i dont know the subtleties of either the seat heat wiring or the programming.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just for grins I went out yesterday and turned the heat all the way up. After the engine heated up and the cabin started to warm I turned the seats to full cooling.

Even though the cabin got hot, my butt got cold. I suspect the air supply for the seat ventilation does not pass through the heater core. I don't know if it is recirculated cabin air or fresh air. The outside temperature was 47F, not freezing cold. I only did this for five or ten minutes, but I didn't feel like the seat air was getting any warmer.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Its my understanding its cabin air...so cool air on the floor until it warms up, then its gotta warm all the foam next.

Cool (sic) experiment! I will try it at -15c this weekend if i remember. A 40C temperature difference between outside and inside should tell the tale.

·
Registered
681 Posts
OK tested this AM in -21C (aka -6F) outside, using @jebrooks "grins" test.

While the seats got cool, and my rear end noticed that the heater wasn't on they never got anywhere near -21C, let alone 0C. Tested on the passenger (empty) seat as well with the same effect.

So i will conclude, per assumptions, it is cabin air, not outside air, running through the seat vents. Which makes perfect sense!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
OK tested this AM in -21C (aka -6F) outside, using @jebrooks "grins" test.

While the seats got cool, and my rear end noticed that the heater wasn't on they never got anywhere near -21C, let alone 0C. Tested on the passenger (empty) seat as well with the same effect.

So i will conclude, per assumptions, it is cabin air, not outside air, running through the seat vents. Which makes perfect sense!
Thanks for the testing event. Especially in that environment. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts