Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So disappointed that TLX even with Mcdaddy Advance package doesnt offer heads up display. BMW, Audi in that same price range comes with HUD. Do you guys think Acura may offer that in 2016?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

So disappointed that TLX even with Mcdaddy Advance package doesnt offer heads up display. BMW, Audi in that same price range comes with HUD. Do you guys think Acura may offer that in 2016?
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post.

Personally I don't know. Maybe another member will have better insight.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We do have a heads up display in the Advanced..It just only displays one thing (that I know of.)

And that only displays when you are in danger. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
They have the headsup on the RLX but only the Hybrid I think and I believe it only shows speed.
Doubt we will see this coming down for 2016, I can see it added eventually but my dollar goes on mid cycle refresh so 2 years.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Navdy

Heard some friends talk about Navdy.

Sounds like a cool idea but I am wondering if it is too much bulk to place on the dashboard in front of your face.

https://www.navdy.com/

Anybody pre-order? :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I understand the purpose behind a HUD, but I get distracted! LOL. And that Navdy ... waaaay too much in front of me. I'd be constantly trying to move it haha

·
Registered
228 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure of getting to actually try out the HUD on any vehicles. I imagine that it is totally dependent on how the HUD is designed. I'm sure that some are great but others probably suck. At this point I am curious but I don't really care if I have it in my car or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah, i wish acura had heads-up display. That would be cool tech to have. A couple of years ago, HUD was being touted as one of tech that would become common place. however, that hasn't necessarily come true yet. Wonder why?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Probably would depend on how it was integrated and functions. All Id really want would be vehicle speed, but Im sure many would want more.

Theres probably alot of people who would stare right at it instead of through it lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Theres probably alot of people who would stare right at it instead of through it lol.
maybe true...but these HUD displays are designed to appear natural and best viewed if one focuses their eyes several feet ahead of the car (just like viewing the road). i would tend to think HUD display would be less intrusive than it might initially appear.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think that HUDs are a bit overrated. really they are just a speedometer that sits high up on the dash at this point that I have seen. The concepts for HUDs are cool, but I haven't seen production models that deliver what concepts have shown us.

·
Registered
238 Posts
TLX already has one display between the speedometer and tach, and two more big displays on the console. And you want to add a fourth?

What would you want the HUD to to tell you? This almost starts to feel like somebody leaving me a voicemail to tell me to check my email referencing a funny youtube video that everybody is tweeting about.

After all, it's a car, not a fighter jet, and the extra complexity of HUD beyond collision warnings, for me at least, would not add to my experience.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I would think the HUD should be an option to keep the TLX price down. Let those who want it get it, but give those who don't an option as well.

I like @andleigh 's remark that the TLX is a car and not a fighter jet. With the HUD, and Dual Screens, why not mount another screen for the front passenger seat? If we ever drive by IDR (Instrument Driving Rules), maybe we could use the extra screens and the front passenger can be your co-pilot to drive through thick fog and at night. Just a wild thought.

Is there any such thing as too much tech?

It took me a long time to justify going from base to tech. But that's just me and my opinion. I, also, can be getting old along with @Esrever. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is definitely something to say for editing and simplicity. Tech is great, but not just for the sake of it. I'm not sure that the HUD would add much to the TLX really. I'm not saying that about all HUDs, as each vehicle is different and HUDs could become better in the future, but right now they seem superfluous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Of my personal experience, I started to be interested in HUD after having a European Honda Civic in 2005. There was a small digital speedometer between windshield and normal speedometer. This was a great experience as the eyes has less travel to do do view speed, and speed shows at a less different focus from the road.
I tried some HUD on other cars, but the ones displayed directly on the windshield were difficult to read or too intrusive from road vision.

The best HUD I found is in the last Mazda 3 (the car I own and will replace with a TLX in some monthes). Projection is not done on the windshield, but on a little screen in front of it. This screen is on the way of the hood si it does not interfere with the road. It is tinted so no issue to read it in the sun or in the dark. The only small issue is that you must change screen orientation if you change seat level.
This HUD shows not only speed, but also navigation directions and distances, cruise control setup, and some usefull security informations like for example lane departure warnings, front collision alert before auto-braking.
I found this to be very usefull.

In my next car I would be very pleased to find this. This is one of the very few things I will miss from my past cars going to TLX.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts