Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Not sure about in the US but in Canada daytime running lights are mandatory so unless you pull the fuse, those will be on as a minimum when the lights are in the off position while driving.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Can you turn the headlights off without having the car in park?
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see your first post.

Not that I have found.

Please give us an introduction. Tell us about yourself and your TLX. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure about in the US but in Canada daytime running lights are mandatory so unless you pull the fuse, those will be on as a minimum when the lights are in the off position while driving.
They're not mandatory in the states, yet. Should be IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought I had noticed that during the day, when it is sunny and bright here in Arizona, and lights were set to "Auto" that the lights would turn off.

At least the instrument panel seemed to indicate that the headlights were off.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I thought I had noticed that during the day, when it is sunny and bright here in Arizona, and lights were set to "Auto" that the lights would turn off.

At least the instrument panel seemed to indicate that the headlights were off.
We are discussing the DRLs though, correct?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think the daytime running lights utilize the same bulbs as the headlights just not at the same intensity. I notice when I pull up behind another car or truck it appears that my headlights are on when it is actually just my running lights. The actual headlights can be turned on with the switch in the on position or in the automatic mode when it begins to get dark. Not sure about the other models but on the Advance package they also turn on automatically when the windshield wipers are activated.

My insurance company gives a discount if the car is equipped with running lights.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I also noticed that the DRLs come on with all the bulbs. The actual headlights only use a portion of the lights. I'm guessing the high beams use the remainder.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Looking at my lights now. The headlights consist of 5 LED "jewels". Headlights on are the outer 3 on full power, the high beams are all 5 on full power, DRL looks like all 5 but on a lower power output.

I live out in the country and I work shift work, so one priority with my cars is good quality bright lights. The TLX lighting kicks a$$.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If you click "off" Im sure the headlights themselves will turn off, but the DRL should remain on.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
If it's possible, it will be with them in the off position. Since you don't have DRLs in the U.S. I'd be interested to know if they actually turn off.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
If it's possible, it will be with them in the off position. Since you don't have DRLs in the U.S. I'd be interested to know if they actually turn off.
We actually have DRLs in the US. Some US cars can turn them off or don't have them.

The switch is normally set to auto but can be moved up to turn on select lights. The switch toggles to off momentarily.

If the car is parked, ignition on, you can turn off all lights including the DRLs. As soon as you place the car in drive the DRLs come on in the daytime, while the low beams come on at night.

When you approach the car in the daytime and grab the door handle the DRLs do not come on till you put the car in drive. When you approach the car at night, the DRLs come on, provided you did not turn them off when it was dark before. (see my previous movie on the subject)

When I went to eat at a restaurant, I placed the car in park and turned the lights off completely and then turned off the engine. When I returned after dinner and grabbed the door handle when it was dark, the DRLs did not come on till I put the car in drive.

I have not found a way to drive down the street with my lights off. That is probably a good safety measure to have in most driving situations. It's interesting that you cannot drive at night with just the DRLs on.

Of course, you can take a fuse out or do something more extreme to turn off the lights, but why go to the trouble.

I did find out recently, that you can place the switch to the old parking lights option. This allows you to drive with the DRLs on, low beams off and parking lights on.

So many wild options.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts