Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out the HDD option in the ELS Sound System?

I was thinking of copying my MP3s there. I would imagine the HDD works similar to a USB thumbdrive, although I haven't messed with USB in my new TLX or in my previous TSX.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Navi manual states that the HDD only works with CD's. The HDD will likely have better folder navigation than the usb drive, which is time of recording driven according to the manual.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am sure you can't transfer from USB and as stated by aronj its from CD only. You can play music off a USB but can't transfer to the harddrive unfortunately :(

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. That is correct. I found a tutorial online for the MDX HDD. I am sure it is the same process for the TLX. Oh well. USB will work as well for my MP3s.

I played a couple of CDs in the car a couple days ago. Supposedly by default when played they are ripped to the HDD. I need to check on the way home to see if they were ripped.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its set to rip to the car automatically out the factory. But its not instant, on the RDX it shows a little red dot bottom left corner to show its recording, not tried it in the TLX yet though if that is still there.
You have to give it a while to rip though, the RDX it took a fair 20 minutes to rip the whole CD i think.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its set to rip to the car automatically out the factory. But its not instant, on the RDX it shows a little red dot bottom left corner to show its recording, not tried it in the TLX yet though if that is still there.
You have to give it a while to rip though, the RDX it took a fair 20 minutes to rip the whole CD i think.
Good to know. Thanks. It's my first HDD in a car.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HDD and CD Ripping

I ripped another CD to the HDD, on the drive home. It's amazing that it rips the entire CD by the time the 4th song finishes.

Curious to know how it copies the entire disk when it just plays the first 4 songs. Does it buffer the songs to memory and then copy? Any way it does it is neat and fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HDD Tagging

I just started ripping CDs and even though the Gracenote logo comes up saying it found the title, none of the tracks or albums are tagged. Any ideas?

Should note that there is no difference between a commercial CD and one burned from albums purchased on iTunes.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum!

I just started ripping CDs and even though the Gracenote logo comes up saying it found the title, none of the tracks or albums are tagged. Any ideas?

Should note that there is no difference between a commercial CD and one burned from albums purchased on iTunes.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post.

So far I have ripped multiple CDs without an issue. All track info on mine comes up fine.

Did you happen to install the latest GraceNotes? Not that it is definitely the problem, but maybe a re-load would help. I updated mine once about 4 months ago. Last I saw it was under MDX or RLX. The downloaded file had TLX in the file name.

good luck! :)

Update: I checked the link above. It takes you to the RLX update which is the same as TLX as indicated in the download file. The previous screen now has TLX in the options pull-down menu but the year is listed as 2014. Looks like I have the latest update available.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. Strange that there isn't a way to copy from USB.
any chance that Acura explicitly prevents this as a security measure?

E.g., imagine if somebody put some form of malware or a harmful program on the USB, perhaps this is the only iron-clad way to prevent it from being copied to the TLX hardware/software.

It's a bit easier to control security via an audio CD

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just got my TLX a week ago. So far a great car, but the HDD is leaving me a little frustrated. I got it to rip from a regular CD in WAV format, but burning a disc with some of my MP3's the system does not send them to the HDD. I like the care a lot, but some of the tech in this car is frustrating me after week 1. Not sure you can label this one very tech advanced given the GUI for the hvac and some of these odd limitations. Guess I have to resort to putting it all on a thumb drive and leave it plugged in, using an adapter for my iPhone charging. .....sigh...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts