Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura has bet a lot on the TLX. Acura would really like to have the TLX raise its reputation. I'm wondering if you think the Acura TLX has been successful in that endeavor.

What was Acura's reputation before the TLX, and what has it become with the release of the TLX? How do you go about measuring brand reputation anyway?

Acura hopes ad campaign for new TLX to help change reputation

·
Registered
430 Posts
I dont know if now is the appropriate time to ask that. There are VERY few actual cars in the wild, I believe we only have one owner here as of yet. Don't forget we're the early adopters, we want to be here, many of us are coming from an extensive history of Acura vehicles.

I think the real insight will come if and when conquest buyers begin to come online. These are the people I'm most curious to hear from, what was it that talked you out of brand X?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think i'll wait for the comparisons to see what knowledgable people who have tested it along with many other vehicles have to say about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, personally I have had nothing but great experiences with Acura products and all the owners I have ever spoke to were also very positive about their experiences. So if my sampling is representative of all owners then I would say that the car experience/reputation is quite high! Like previously stated, not enough time or sample size to make any general comments just yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, personally I have had nothing but great experiences with Acura products and all the owners I have ever spoke to were also very positive about their experiences. So if my sampling is representative of all owners then I would say that the car experience/reputation is quite high! Like previously stated, not enough time or sample size to make any general comments just yet.
do you have experience with luxury vehicles from any other car makers aside from Acura?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My only experience with German cars was with a 2000 VW Passat. It was highly rated in all of the auto blogs, including Consumer Reports, and it was an absolute maintenance nightmare. After consulting with several independent mechanics I was told that all German cars are extremely expensive to maintain and I have every reason to think that things haven't changed much in the intervening years. Acuras are bullet proof and totally reliable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
May be too soon to answer this now, but we will be able to figure this out soon. I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews and articles that discuss this very question.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My only experience with German cars was with a 2000 VW Passat. It was highly rated in all of the auto blogs, including Consumer Reports, and it was an absolute maintenance nightmare. After consulting with several independent mechanics I was told that all German cars are extremely expensive to maintain and I have every reason to think that things haven't changed much in the intervening years. Acuras are bullet proof and totally reliable.
And there lies the dirty little secret about the so-called "knowledgable people" or experts. Do they care about long-term reliability, cost of maintenance, resale value, safety rating and all those relatively "boring" aspects when they evaluate and compare cars? Most don't. They probably enjoy more writing about handling and ride dynamics, acceleration and breaking performance and first impression styling and design. Their priorities are very different from the average consumers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After consulting with several independent mechanics I was told that all German cars are extremely expensive to maintain and I have every reason to think that things haven't changed much in the intervening years. Acuras are bullet proof and totally reliable.
The truth is somewhere in the middle, I think. Your average Acura is certainly more reliable than your average German car, and JD Power surveys support such an assertion. But there are many German car models with high reliability, and there are some Honda/Acura products that are half-baked and best avoided (certain automatic transmission Accords, Honda Insight, Honda CR-Z, Acura RDX turbo). The TLX looks to be a well made car, but we will see with time.

My anecdotal experience with German cars is positive. Two bulletproof Mercedes-Benzes, and three bulletproof Audis. So I haven't experienced any repair despair.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What year were the mercedes and what year were the audis. It was mid 90's we started to see the cracks in the benz armor, Audi carries naturally suspect VW electrical IMO.

The expense for German cars comes from the parts premium and the labor premium. Reliability wise they're really not all THAT worse than anything else you jest get dinged on the inputs...

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
What year were the mercedes and what year were the audis. It was mid 90's we started to see the cracks in the benz armor, Audi carries naturally suspect VW electrical IMO.

The expense for German cars comes from the parts premium and the labor premium. Reliability wise they're really not all THAT worse than anything else you jest get dinged on the inputs...
I agree with you. Audi's are just as bad as VW once the 80 000km are up.....I've seen it first hand.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Best case is being stylish and reliable but many cars are either one or the other. I think there is a sizable population out there that tends to choose style of reliability. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had the car about a week and love it. Rides great and the I4 is so peppy I don't even miss the V6 that my old 2005 TL included. The engine is so smooth and quiet. At first I didn't care too much for the stock wheels but now they've grown on me and look great. I like the little touches Acura has made with the car. I included the front/rear splash guards on the car. I expected them to be a gray color. The splash guards are actually the color of the car and look like they are integrated into the design. Looks great. The only thing I didn't get was the fog lights. They are a $1,000 option! OMG. Cost is $650 for the part and the remainder is installation. I'll wait to see them online or on ebay before I fork over a grand for them.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I've had the car about a week and love it. Rides great and the I4 is so peppy I don't even miss the V6 that my old 2005 TL included. The engine is so smooth and quiet. At first I didn't care too much for the stock wheels but now they've grown on me and look great. I like the little touches Acura has made with the car. I included the front/rear splash guards on the car. I expected them to be a gray color. The splash guards are actually the color of the car and look like they are integrated into the design. Looks great. The only thing I didn't get was the fog lights. They are a $1,000 option! OMG. Cost is $650 for the part and the remainder is installation. I'll wait to see them online or on ebay before I fork over a grand for them.
I have the fogs on my current TL, personally I find its useless....

·
Registered
80 Posts
long term reliability

Never mentioned when reviewing or testing a car but for me one of the most important factor when dishing out 50 grand for a car. Last year before purchasing my MDX, I spoke with a professional who worked in the same building I work and who had just purchase a BMW series 3. He drove an Infinity a number of years before switching to BMW (this was his second BMW). I asked why the move to German car and how was he satisfy with his previous BMW. He said he was happy although he had his previous beamer for 3 years only. He then told me that he wanted to keep this one longer so he bought an extended warranty because there are so many things that could become defective...I have had a Accord station-wagon that lasted me 13 years without any major problem and I currently drive a 2004 TXS that I purchased new and never, never bought an extended warranty. The TSX still drives great but I am looking at changing it for a TLX. Yes another bulletproof car made by Honda.
:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts