Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the worst verbal smackdowns I've heard...

Acura. Editor-in-Chief's Note: The fact that Acura continues down its path of self delusion is simply shocking. They keep cramming technology into their vehicles - their latest attempt to make hay in the market right now is to tout the addition of AWD to its TLX and RLX - as if that's going to make a difference. That's playing catch-up. In fact, playing catch-up is what they do best. As I've said many, many times before, Acura supposedly represents the very best of Honda. Really? All signs point to the contrary. The powers that be at Honda's so-called "luxury" division need to face reality, and reality suggests that their piss-poor "design language" - if you can call it that - is absolutely killing them in the market. How can a manufacturer with the reputation of Honda keep launching vehicles into the market that look five years old before they even hit the ground? They seem to want to make the point that design simply doesn't matter, that the inherent goodness within their vehicles is all that people should need. Well, I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Acura needs a complete re-think from top to bottom. And if they can't muster the design firepower - other than the upcoming NSX, which is a smorgasboard of everyone else's design ideas when you really study it - then they ought to just give up. This just in: A complete lack of vision and a tepid level of "excitement" is no way to run a car company. This should be Acura's new ad tagline: "A continual waste of time, talent and energy, but we're worth a look!" Pathetic. - PMD
On The Table - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

·
Registered
96 Posts
To be honest, they should hire a better design team. Peter Schreyer is a bit preoccupied these days, however, perhaps a few people from his team are available.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
The sad truth is that this makes a valid point to some extent. Not as harshly as the above, but Acura seriously is slowly committing suicide with their confused and muddled vision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This series of posts by "aggressive" fans is so tiresome. Consider the reasonable resemblance between Lexus' aggressive front end and the head of an aging Orangutan with jowls. No thank you except for making the Acura return to popularity more likely.

My 2004 TSX set the headlight placement standard for many of the current designs. I really like the overall appearance of the new TLX, so well that I have ordered a silver 2.4L (tech package) with the best and most reliable engine I have ever owned. Yesterday I test drove a 3.5L basic TLX and was very pleased with the appearance, comfort and drivability.

After having two early VWs swallow a valve. and expensively maintained two SAABs, I abandoned European emphasis on performance at the expense of reliability and switched to trusty Honda, with 4 early Accords for our 4 member family. This was briefly interrupted by a Toyota Camry, whose rear wheels kept going out of alignment so that ended my interest in their (then) poor design for maintainability. My Acura experience has been all positive and now Acura has a great new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am considering the TLX 4-cyl and I'm not too concerned with the looks of the car. I'm mainly interested in how it drives, i.e. mainly handles. I'll be selling my '07 IS250 which is a very good handling car with the right tires. Normally I'd only consider buying a rear wheel drive car but I'm interested in finding out if the P-AWS produces a good handling car. I'd rather stay away from the Germans due to reliability issues I've personally been involved with in the past.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
This series of posts by "aggressive" fans is so tiresome. Consider the reasonable resemblance between Lexus' aggressive front end and the head of an aging Orangutan with jowls. No thank you except for making the Acura return to popularity more likely.

My 2004 TSX set the headlight placement standard for many of the current designs. I really like the overall appearance of the new TLX, so well that I have ordered a silver 2.4L (tech package) with the best and most reliable engine I have ever owned. Yesterday I test drove a 3.5L basic TLX and was very pleased with the appearance, comfort and drivability.

After having two early VWs swallow a valve. and expensively maintained two SAABs, I abandoned European emphasis on performance at the expense of reliability and switched to trusty Honda, with 4 early Accords for our 4 member family. This was briefly interrupted by a Toyota Camry, whose rear wheels kept going out of alignment so that ended my interest in their (then) poor design for maintainability. My Acura experience has been all positive and now Acura has a great new car.

I totally agree with you on that buddy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It seems quite clear that some of these reviewers are simply contrarians trying to stir the pot to draw a quick read so when these margin fringe "journalists" are so extreme in their view they are just trying for the cheap publicity and perhaps aren't even worth discussion in a forum that is sorting out the real automotive journalist's reviews. That said the TLX may not be perfect but despite their negativity no one disputes this car is a step in the right direction. TLX SHAWD black/black if you please.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
AutoExtremist is a flame thrower. I've not seen the TLX in person but I'm sure I can find things that I am not going to like. Weigh that with the things I do like and I'll make my decision as to whether I'm going to buy it or not. Car manufacturers spend years designing cars for the future with a crystal ball, then have to lock in the design a year or two before manufacturing begins. Think about how much a cell phone or tablet has changed in the last 2 years. Now ramp up parts sourcing, parts manufacturing and retooling a manufacture facility for a new car and you begin to understand why all new car manufacture is always a bit behind with design and technology. Of course, there is no explaining away the 4g TL design.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats nice about the autoextremeist is that what he writes is his cold hard opinion. Hes not pandering to manufacturers like the majority of presstitutes or click baiting, he writes what he wants and if people read it, it gets read.

As I said in OP its harsh yes, but it has to be respected (IMO) because its his cold hard opinion, not some wishy washy kind of good kind off not gibberish you'll find on say jalop or autoblog...

Above all though there is a thread of truth to be found. Look we're all here becasue we want to be right, we're Acura people (or Honda, or some other Japanese), I believe the under lying point to take away is that its very easy to sell a car to people who already want to buy one. Whats much harder is conquesting, and contrasted to some avaialble options I dont know how much conquesting there is going to be.

Its like looking for your keys only where the light is...

·
Registered
87 Posts
It seems quite clear that some of these reviewers are simply contrarians trying to stir the pot to draw a quick read so when these margin fringe "journalists" are so extreme in their view they are just trying for the cheap publicity and perhaps aren't even worth discussion in a forum that is sorting out the real automotive journalist's reviews. That said the TLX may not be perfect but despite their negativity no one disputes this car is a step in the right direction. TLX SHAWD black/black if you please.....
Well said. These days, lots of click-bait artists disguise themselves as journalists.

·
Registered
87 Posts
whats nice about the autoextremeist is that what he writes is his cold hard opinion. Hes not pandering to manufacturers like the majority of presstitutes or click baiting, he writes what he wants and if people read it, it gets read.

As I said in OP its harsh yes, but it has to be respected (IMO) because its his cold hard opinion, not some wishy washy kind of good kind off not gibberish you'll find on say jalop or autoblog...

Above all though there is a thread of truth to be found. Look we're all here becasue we want to be right, we're Acura people (or Honda, or some other Japanese), I believe the under lying point to take away is that its very easy to sell a car to people who already want to buy one. Whats much harder is conquesting, and contrasted to some avaialble options I dont know how much conquesting there is going to be.

Its like looking for your keys only where the light is...

Funny because I completely disagree. It seems that in this world and this time, making compromises, being subtle and offering nuances are wrong. You got to be visceral, it's got to hurt, take no prisoners! it's got to be extreme, it's got to be clear cut and non-compromising, it's got to be black OR white, not grey. I think that's stupid.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny because I complete disagree. It seems that in this world and this time, making compromises, being subtle and offering nuances are wrong. You got to be visceral, it's got to hurt, take no prisoners! it's got to be extreme, it's got to be clear cut and non-compromising, it's got to be black OR white, not grey. I think that's stupid.
See I disagree with that because water is wet 0:)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey that's cheating! >:D

Dry water was first patented in 1968 and was immediately snatched up by cosmetic companies as it appeared to have potential applications in the cosmetics field.[2] It was rediscovered in 2006 by the University of Hull, UK, and has since been evaluated and studied for its potential use in other fields.[2] The dry water itself is easy enough to manufacture. The hydrophobic silica nanoparticles and water are blended together using a motor with a stirring rod and impeller that spins at 19,000 rpm for 90 seconds, which coats the water droplets completely.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You got to be visceral,
I hate to be picky but whatever happened to correct grammar. It should be "You've got to be visceral"[/QUOTE]

I hate to be double picky but it should be "You have to be visceral" 0:) Just playing Astro, I enjoy discussing with you pedantry or not :D;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts