Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am beyond frustrated with Acura.

I purchased my TLX in February, and my phone did not work correctly with the HFL.
My phone is listed on their (very outdated) website that lists compatible phones. It lists my phone as fully compatible with all features (except Siri). My phone is an HTC One (M8) with Verizon.

So, my phone does not work with their system.
Basically the phonebook transfer feature transfers some data, but the phone entries all come up as "other" so i don't know if I'm calling someones office, mobile or cellphone. Quite frustrating.

Acura will not fix this.
Acura say that "everything is working as designed".

Their own manual (TLX manual, P243) shows that the phonebook should show the phone number and phone number TYPE when you open up a contact (it's in the 2nd image.)
It does not do this.

Acura say that they are no longer working on fixes, and will not be fixing this system.

I've escalated this through my dealership, and though Acura Customer Care.
The final person I spoke to made it very clear that they are not going to fix this, and he is the top person; they will not escalate this any further.

What the heck am I supposed to do.

Anyone any suggestions?

Nick.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah that is really annoying man, I'd be pissed too. If their own website and material says your phone should work, then it should work with zero issues. My next call would be to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) if Acura refuses to fix this for you??!! Which you are saying they've already stated...

I hope you get it all worked out. Maybe just get a different phone? Possibly your dealership will reimburse you for the cost of a newer compatible phone? Just a thought.

FWIW, I have a Motorola Droid and Samsung Note 3 from Verizon that work perfectly with my HFL system. Good luck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't understand why they would refuse to fix it. Doesn't seem like it would be all that hard if you knew what you were doing. Not sure what to tell you though. Only thing I can think of is telling the dealership you are really upset, and even if the problem isn't that bad, the customer service you received means you will not be buying from Acura again in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
HandsFree Link SUCKS BALLS

I can see how this is hard to take but I think manufacturers are in a bad spot with the technologies in cell phones. You said the site is out of date. Have you updated your phone from whatever version your hardware could have been running at that time? All I could suggest is to find out what version of your phone is supposed to be supported and compare to what version you are running.

I really don't see manufacturers updating the software on our cars each time a phone company updates their phones.

I'm running an iPhone 6 with the latest OS and Handsfreelink works as expected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let’s get a little perspective here. The issue is not Acura, but Android Fragmentation. According to the August 2015 opensignal report, the Android ecosystem consisted of 24,093 DISTINCT Android devices. There are over a thousand device brands (maybe 50 major brands), ten or so major versions of Android in play, and each of those major versions is further fragmented by being customized by each device manufacturer and then again for the particular carrier. Now consider that your HandsFree link interface somehow has to attempt to interact with thousands upon thousands of ever-evolving permutations of Android OS. Nice trick if you can pull it off!

So go right ahead, cast your fury at Acura. I just think your anger is misplaced.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
I own an iPhone so I cannot help with Android, only offer tips.

There are many factors involved here. @SteveP2000 is spot on with respect to the fragmentation of the Android OS.
Your phonebook may contain fields that do not match/align with the version Acura validated your phone model.
If possible, (back-up first), restore your phone to a "virgin" state. See what works/does not work with HFL.
Add some entries into your phonebook. Use all the canned fields.
See what works/does not work with HFL.

I know it can be frustrating with all the features they through into our smartphones these days.

Be methodical and you may find what is "braking" your experience with HFL.

Goodluck.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome the to Forum!

I am beyond frustrated with Acura.

[Edited for brevity]
What the heck am I supposed to do.

Anyone any suggestions?

Nick.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

Sorry I had to clean up your title. We try to keep it socially friendly around here. :)

Sorry I cannot offer suggestions. I have a Galaxy S4 and it works fine. I guess I am an adapter or is it adaptor. :)

In my case, I only have a close set of friends that can easily fit in speed dial.

Maybe a solution will appear. If you hear of one, please share it.

While you are here, please introduce yourself and tell us a little about your TLX.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts