Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
This looks promising. The alternative (NavTool) has not gotten great reviews (more so about the company, not about the product). Unfortunately, my 2015 is excluded!!
How will you install it (self or local shop)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
there is 1 guy posted the installation thread on acurazine. it is similar process to navtool.
It works on his 2015 tlx

·
Registered
2017 TLX V6 SH-AWD w/ Tech-Package
3 Posts
What's the main difference between the GROM and NavTool that GROM is a couple hundred bucks more expensive? I want to pick up one of the other for Android Auto but was really turned off of NavTool by the company reviews.

·
Registered
2016 TLX I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl with Blackouts
311 Posts
As I understand, Grom runs an Android OS, and can therefore run apps itself, while NavTool is more of an interface device.

I'd like to see a direct compare/contrast review of the two devices myself, as I'd also like to have AA at some point.

·
Registered
2017 TLX V6 SH-AWD w/ Tech-Package
3 Posts
As I understand, Grom runs an Android OS, and can therefore run apps itself, while NavTool is more of an interface device.

I'd like to see a direct compare/contrast review of the two devices myself, as I'd also like to have AA at some point.
That's a good point.

I wonder if the GROM integrates well with the steering wheel buttons and functions. I know that NavTools does some integration but that it's not complete.

I'm already planning on picking up one of the two in a few months when it gets warmer so I can work on the car without freezing half to death. ?Maybe I'll get both, do a comparison, and return the one that I like less.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Someone with the GROM V-line V2 unit: Convince me not to buy it. What does it not do for you? Issues? Gripes?

And OK - What do you like about it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Someone with the GROM V-line V2 unit: Convince me not to buy it. What does it not do for you? Issues? Gripes?

And OK - What do you like about it?
They did a discounted group order, so I placed my order. Shipping ETA is mid-November, so it'll be a fun Christmas project to install.

·
Registered
311 Posts
How did that work, and is there any chance it's still open?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I called GROM, and they gave me a discount code for $50 off.

Pulled the trigger today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone found additional threads on other forums of similar installs? I found one on acurazine, and there were a handful of little tidbits that weren't fully answered .... From what I recall:

• You need a separate mic (corded, I think it comes with it?) for voice commands, can't remember if you need this for voice calls
  • People 'magically' route the whole unit into the glovebox, not sure if that's super easy or additional work? (IIRC, the NavTool could be hidden behind the centre console, deep inside.)
  • There was a comment re: the install causes one of the USB ports to stop working, but the guy bought a splitter so fixed it? USB Retention Cable for VLine CarPlay Android Auto and select Lexus Toyota Honda Acura
Link to other forum:

If I get this, I'd be leaning towards trying find a local installer to install.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1) Install in the glove box was for ease of access to USB ports, etc. in case of issues. I intend to mount mine in the console.
2) Yes, the unit comes with an external microphone required for voice interaction.
3) The factory USB port in the center console cubby is disconnected from the OEM head unit when the GROM unit is installed. The adapter cable allows this to be connected to the GROM V2 instead of having to install a secondary USB port or leave an extension cable hanging somewhere. Once connected to the GROM, this USB port cannot be used to upload wallpapers to or update the factory head unit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm not sure I'd be able to do better than the Acurazine post that was linked.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Question: After activating navigation via Google maps, Waze, etc., can I go back and listen to SiriusXM using the factory radio, or does changing sources deactivate the GROM-output video to the top screen?

"Why," you ask? -- I'm trying to decide if I want to extend my SXM subscription.

EDIT: Yes, I can use the SXM app to listen, but 1) I drive in a number of areas where 4G isn't available, 2) My phone plan isn't unlimited, and 3) The factory interface is just there and easier to navigate while driving.

EDIT (2): GROM tech support says, "No." I suspected this, darn it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed mine last night, was fairly easy. I’m using Carplay, so there was hardly any setup I had to do to get it working. It was almost too easy. Yes, I made a start to finish install video I am editing now :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm planning on installing mine later this month when I have some down time around the holidays. This, along with a heated steering wheel and some interior vinyl wrap. I look forward to seeing your video!

Reactions: baker_jeff
1 - 20 of 28 Posts