Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bought and installed the grocery hooks that are supposed to mount in the trunk? They come with riv-nuts for the install but no pre existing holes appear to be available. The limited info I can find showed them appearing to be mounted by removing the push pins that hold the liner near the back seat release cables. Does not seem reusing the push in pins would hold it securely. If you remove the clip the push pin goes into, it is then a square hole that is to large for the riv-nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated
8D67CC32-7906-453C-A64C-E58C0B1F8B4F.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 Acura TLX 2.4 w/ Tech Package
11 Posts
Anyone bought and installed the grocery hooks that are supposed to mount in the trunk? They come with riv-nuts for the install but no pre existing holes appear to be available. The limited info I can find showed them appearing to be mounted by removing the push pins that hold the liner near the back seat release cables. Does not seem reusing the push in pins would hold it securely. If you remove the clip the push pin goes into, it is then a square hole that is to large for the riv-nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated View attachment 26199 .
Oh my god, I literally ordered them this week and got them but when I went to install it, I didn’t see any provisions. I assumed you took out those push pins but I didn’t want to take it out just in case it doesn’t fit perfectly again so decided to return them. It would have been a nice feature to have but I’m looking at a cargo net type thing now as an alternative.

Do you have carpet on your trunk or is it just the foldable piece? I’ve been thinking of putting a rubber mat but wanted to see other peoples opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my god, I literally ordered them this week and got them but when I went to install it, I didn’t see any provisions. I assumed you took out those push pins but I didn’t want to take it out just in case it doesn’t fit perfectly again so decided to return them. It would have been a nice feature to have but I’m looking at a cargo net type thing now as an alternative.

Do you have carpet on your trunk or is it just the foldable piece? I’ve been thinking of putting a rubber mat but wanted to see other peoples opinions.

Brwnboy,
I did not remove the pins as they quite often are damaged. Just have the factory covering in the trunk. Looking at rubber matting but the Mrs wanted something to keep bags from falling over. Had the net in our suv but I never thought ours was large enough to be all that helpful.

Hopefully someone has figured this out.

·
Registered
2017 Acura TLX 2.4 w/ Tech Package
11 Posts
Brwnboy,
I did not remove the pins as they quite often are damaged. Just have the factory covering in the trunk. Looking at rubber matting but the Mrs wanted something to keep bags from falling over. Had the net in our suv but I never thought ours was large enough to be all that helpful.

Hopefully someone has figured this out.
I’ve been looking at weathertech. I saw rubber trunk mats at Costco in the past but haven’t seen them recently.

As for the instructions, I would believe this is the instructions: LinkDeny
Seems a bit complex as you have to pierce holes and I really don’t feel comfortable to do that to my car but I believe if you follow the instructions you should be alright.

I think I’m going to return the cargo hooks and buy some sort of collapsible trunk organizer maybe this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F87NT...abc_887FP9FHRCB0KTY7ESGR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you chose to go the collapsible trunk organizer route and your thoughts.

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
387 Posts
I can't comment on the cargo hooks, but as for a trunk liner, THIS is the one I bought for the TLX along with all four floor mats. I have them in our Jeep Cherokee as well, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a follow up... I ended up finding where I wanted the cargo hooks to be located, drilled a small pilot hole and installed the hooks with self taping sheet metal screws rather than the supplied hardware. Worked like a charm and took about 5 minutes to accomplish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put them in both my '10 TSX and '15 TLX. Both had existing holes for the rivnuts. Easy and clean installation.

·
Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
387 Posts
The next time you want to do something like that, I suggest drilling a 1/16" hole, then using a punch to form a divot (and larger hole) in the metal. That divot/hole can then either be threaded with a tap to accept a machine screw or left as is, and a self-tapper used. This gives the fastener much more material to bite into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts