Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post (just signed up today) and wanted to say hello. I've owned Hondas since '89 and still have my original '04 TSX 6-spd which I still enjoy.

After first seeing the TLX concept I had mixed feelings and now that the official pics are out I'm still conflicted. I don't care for the front nose in profile as it looks very chunky almost brick-like.

The side and tail are acceptable but seem lacking in visual excitement, I'll wait till I see one in person before deciding one way or another. Somehow it seems to resemble the previous TL more so than the TSX to me anyway.

Though to be perfectly honest I never much cared for TSX or TL after their redesigns for '09... guess the 2 things I miss most will be the TSX wagon and manual tranny options but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So, @hip, have you decided if you will be buying a new TLX once it comes out, or have you fallen out of love with the TLX and Acura?

I think that a lot of people feel pretty conflicted about the TLX. In the end I think that a lot of the value of the car won't be known until people get a chance to actually drive it and test out all that new technology that Acura likes to talk about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, @hip, have you decided if you will be buying a new TLX once it comes out, or have you fallen out of love with the TLX and Acura?

I think that a lot of people feel pretty conflicted about the TLX. In the end I think that a lot of the value of the car won't be known until people get a chance to actually drive it and test out all that new technology that Acura likes to talk about.
All good questions...

To begin I am still very happy with my TSX (58k) and believe it's styling has worn well. While the average car is now over 11 years old I am not Honda or Acura's ideal customer as our cars are rarely replaced. We still own our original '93 Accord SE (123k) and recently inherited my late father's '00 Accord EX V6 (51K) that I bought new for him in 2000.

That aside my TSX is still very appealing to me on a number of levels. Both the interior and exterior design are still handsome (IMO) and have aged well. Yes the Navi is old tech and unfortunately can't be updated without serious modifications but this will be true for all current models someday. The overall ergonomics are still excellent with the seats being all day long comfortable. My biggest long term gripe is rearward visibility. The drivetrain is not very complicated and I am able to perform most routine maintenance myself. Overall it rides and handles quite well and I still enjoy driving it.

Naturally I am curious about the TLX and would like to see it in person before forming any final opinions. Mostly I want to find out how well it bridges the gap between the old TSX and an updated TL. My fear is Acura may be promoting the ILX as their TSX replacement and are covering their bases with a 4-cyl TLX so we need to wait and see.

I think many will agree until recently Honda and Acura had lost their way in terms of design, innovation and reliability. Auto industry recalls have escalated dramatically and gone from the exception to the rule. In my previous life as an engineer (with a very well known semiconductor manufacturer) we had a saying; "there's always enough time to do it over but never enough time to do it right." Guess that applies to many industries and disciplines. While Honda traditionally seemed above average in this respect the last few years have seen a downward slide along with the industry.

After having bought my TSX as a first gen model and experiencing all the teething pains that go along with it I think there may be something to the negative perception about being an early adopter. I learned this in '03 with my TSX and a previously with a '99 Odyssey both were first gen models and both experienced numerous TSBs, recalls and other maladies. In the case of the Ody I witnessed unacceptable quality levels far below typical Honda standards.

Contrast this with my first Accord, an '89 SE-i and the '93 SE which were exemplary. Ironically when a car reaches the final model year of it's design life-cycle is when it's most mature in terms of product development. Unfortunately by this time many ppl have grown bored with it and want something new and different.

I've followed the automotive industry most of my life and based on my observations I believe we are at the end of an era. We are in a transitional period of drivetrain evolution and at the threshold of fully autonomous cars. All the tech advancements have been leading to it. Hybrids, electrics, hydrogen & alt-fuel, multi-speed & CVT transmissions, self parking, adaptive cruise control, lane departure mitigation, collision avoidance, telematics, etc.

Nissan has recently announced it will have a fully autonomous vehicles by the end of the decade or within 5 years. So all these technological "baby steps" are bringing us there. Whether we come to love it or hate it only time will tell. But the bottom line is these current new cars may be the last of their breed and our last chance to own something we still have personal control over (more or less).

Sorry for the long post but to answer your question, like many here guess I am taking a wait and see approach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts