Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have any of you noticed the maps on the GPS are not up to date. There is roads that do not show which have been in use for almost 2 years.
Does anybody know how frequently they update the Maps on the GPS? Is it because my GPS maps were not updated when i got the car perhaps.

Regards

·
Registered
317 Posts
So far I have not experienced new roads not showing on the map but one or two exit numbers were wrong.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I believe they are updated annually, and there is an update pending.

Set a destination in the east and go south on Bayview. It does not know that there is a eastbound on ramp to the 401. My 3G TL knew about it. Also, the new north extension of the 404 is not in the map but that road was just completed this summer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I imagine that it is not the easiest thing to keep track of every change to roads everywhere for a navigation system. I'd be willing to cut them a little slack. I am sure they have a regular routine of how to update the maps.

·
Registered
438 Posts
hopefully its free for updates

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
The Honda Nav system update is on a USB stick and costs around $180 in Canada and around $99 in the US. Not something you want to do every year.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
The Honda Nav system update is on a USB stick and costs around $180 in Canada and around $99 in the US. Not something you want to do every year.
Ouch! Good to know. Almost like buying a Garmin every year without lifetime maps. :(

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ouch! Good to know. Almost like buying a Garmin every year without lifetime maps. :(
well thats the thing right, the software is provided by a third party in most cases without the hardware investment by us the end user... everyone has a share ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

Does anybody know how frequently they update the Maps on the GPS? Is it because my GPS maps were not updated when i got the car perhaps.

Regards
Maps are updated annually. The map you get in the car at the time of purchase is usually 1.5 years old. Think about it, maps are updated by the service provider (1x a year) and then given to the car manufacturer to incorporate in their new cars.

You have to buy the maps from Honda/Acura. You will get notices every year around June/July.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have also found that the nav system on my 6-weeks old TLX is out of date. I discovered this while traveling on a 4-lane highway that had been completed in 2011. I am a little surprised to learn that I will have to pay for an update. This is something that should be offered free to owners of new cars within the first year as a minimum. Along with the significant tranny issues I and many other TLX owners are experiencing, I am starting to regret my purchase. I guess I could live with an outdated Nav package, but it's the unresolved transmission issue that is the most frustrating. I loved my 1st gen TSX but this car is starting to be a bummer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very doubtful. The Canadian Honda site gets updated after the U.S. site as well. Strange since they're the same maps.
The TLX is listed on the US site. Does it not bother anyone else that the product we just purchased is out of date? It just seems wrong for a car in this price range. On its own it would be a minor irritant. But combined with all the other issues with this car, it this is yet another reason for me to regret buy this car.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I totally agree about paying for updates being maddening. It's been like that for years though. Not saying it's right but it's not a new thing.

Did you check to see if the version in your car is out of date? The version on the website may be the same version that you have. The dealer is supposed to give you the latest update when you pick up the car.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
This the US and the Cdn sites for the Nav updates.

US

The Official Acura Map Update Site.
I clicked the link for the US NAV Updates and got the following message...

Our records indicate that the map that you have in your navigation system is our most recent release.
Please contact your Acura dealer or visit owners.acura.com to determine if your vehicle is eligible for an audio, navigation and/or hands free system software update.

I know some roads that have been built within the last year in my area are not on the my maps.

I think they should give us at least one free update when we buy the car.:(

·
Registered
681 Posts
This thread clearly highlights what the automotive guys seem to be missing. On my iPhone with Google or Apple maps, I get free updates, free traffic, good Navi/voice, relatively recent POI, etc. In real time. Albeit with the risk of advertising, and an evil empire monitoring our every move.

I am finding the "phone" solution a far bettter option than the dedicated TomTom/Garmin i bought years ago for traveling, and they want a subscription. Which, btw, missed a 2 year old existing 4 lane road that bypassed Montreal. My 81 year old father told me about that :).

So the bigger question is when will the auto gang give trying to compete with faster, efficient technology? Is Apple CarPlay the solution? Honda is listed, but not Acura.

Likely another thread on this, but it makes me hold off until the tech gets harmonized.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts