Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beside myself. I had the hard 2nd-3rd shift problem, then they just applied the updates for rear cross traffic and park shift problem and my tranny is all over the place. Over revving, hard down shifts and lunging forward just a nudge when coming to a stop.

Notified my dealer, who said I was the first to complain after the updates. Will be leaving my car with them. Anybody else go through the same thing and apply any successful fixes?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Model update

I am beside myself. I had the hard 2nd-3rd shift problem, then they just applied the updates for rear cross traffic and park shift problem and my tranny is all over the place. Over revving, hard down shifts and lunging forward just a nudge when coming to a stop.

Notified my dealer, who said I was the first to complain after the updates. Will be leaving my car with them. Anybody else go through the same thing and apply any successful fixes?

Thanks
Oh and I have the V6 AWD model.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Thanks
My car was delivered in Dec 2014 with these updates already added, and I've had these issues (V6 AWD) since I received the car. The issue became somewhat muted during a very long duration cold snap here, but returned when the temperatures changed. My personal theory is that the learning transmission is constantly learning and over-adjusting / over-shooting -- e.g., as the engine power changes with temperature, acceleration demand, etc.

I am waiting for a complete Acura solution rather than go through "experimental" updates so I haven't taken it in yet. Since I can anticipate these rougher transmission issues right now, I prefer that over surprises encountered after successive updates.

Given that this transmission is going into various other Acura models in the coming years, I'm still hoping Acura comes up with a final, presumably software-based solution for this. Given the press attention and how quickly potential buyers see this issue in google searches on TLX, I believe Acura has no choice but to get this resolved, especially as they double-down on this transmission.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I hope the learning is true, and a hundred miles of driving refines the shifting.

I am with @andleigh on this, although it seems Canada isn't getting the updates as quickly as the USA (ty for being beta testers)

I will be heading to get the tires change, but will talk to them before they change out anything on firmware. I have the 2-3 issue, but its bearable at this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum! Unfortunately my car as well has transmission issues. Bothers me alot since i spent 40k on a car that i assume should be close to perfect. BTW i own the V6 Tech. Got an update 2 weeks ago for the 2-3 shifts. The shift to 2nd is noticeably smoother but 2nd to 3rd is more harsh now. Feels like the transmission is slipping before going into gear. I only drive in Economy mode most of the time but tried all the other settings and all feels the same if not slightly worse. I hope Acura addresses this issue soon. In the mean time ill just drive my RSX until they can figure this out. Hate to only drive it once a week only because i cant stand the transmission issue. I would assume after all these years that Acura/Honda will get there automatic issues figured out. But i guess they havent. Hope they get it resolved because i really like the TLX.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

New to the forum! Unfortunately my car as well has transmission issues. Bothers me alot since i spent 40k on a car that i assume should be close to perfect. BTW i own the V6 Tech. Got an update 2 weeks ago for the 2-3 shifts. The shift to 2nd is noticeably smoother but 2nd to 3rd is more harsh now. Feels like the transmission is slipping before going into gear. I only drive in Economy mode most of the time but tried all the other settings and all feels the same if not slightly worse. I hope Acura addresses this issue soon. In the mean time ill just drive my RSX until they can figure this out. Hate to only drive it once a week only because i cant stand the transmission issue. I would assume after all these years that Acura/Honda will get there automatic issues figured out. But i guess they havent. Hope they get it resolved because i really like the TLX.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. Sorry to hear that your TLX has issues. As you can see, there are some other members with the same issue. Best of luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'v got the update a month ago, on following days the transmission was behaving better, but since the last two days, it is almost back to square one, jerky on changes, and one occurence of big shake on stop, I really thought that someone had hitted me in the back ... I am very disapointed ::crying:: ... I was an honda fan but ... if Acura do not resolve that before the end of the summer, I will sell it and go for the new C class....

·
Registered
33 Posts
This happened to me as well. I went back and they said they reflashed it. They told me sometimes the update does not 'take'. I am still not happy about the update as I had no issues with my tranny prior to my first scheduled maintenance. Now I find it lethargic between 2nd and 3rd shift and have the odd 'bump' when coming to stop when car is not warmed up.

So suggest you complain and they will reflash.

JJ

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Good info! Did they suggest the update when you went in for service? Just curious as to why they would want to update if it was working properly. It might be a good idea for others to refuse it if the transmission is working ok.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They told me it was a 'bundled' update that included the cross traffic warning. I had no option to refuse it I guess. I was not even aware the update for cross traffic warning had a tranny setting change. It was odd that they did not even take it for a test drive. It was like they knew about issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I brought my TLX in on Saturday for it's first A1 service. The service advisor whom I've known for about eight years since I brought my TL there asked me how I liked the car. Told him it's great except for the transmission issues that everyone seems to be experiencing. He told me that they have received a lot of complaints from TLX owners who are furious about this. He said that Acura is working on a software fix but they can't do anything right now.

Thought about this on the ride home. My question is, I'm sure the TLX was driven hundreds maybe thousands of times by professional test drivers before, during and after production. Didn't anyone notice this obvious problem? Why wasn't it fixed before Acura released it for sale to the public? Were they in such a hurry to get it out to market that they consciously and deliberately sold a car they new was for lack of a better word, defective?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I brought my TLX in on Saturday for it's first A1 service. The service advisor whom I've known for about eight years since I brought my TL there asked me how I liked the car. Told him it's great except for the transmission issues that everyone seems to be experiencing. He told me that they have received a lot of complaints from TLX owners who are furious about this. He said that Acura is working on a software fix but they can't do anything right now.

Thought about this on the ride home. My question is, I'm sure the TLX was driven hundreds maybe thousands of times by professional test drivers before, during and after production. Didn't anyone notice this obvious problem? Why wasn't it fixed before Acura released it for sale to the public? Were they in such a hurry to get it out to market that they consciously and deliberately sold a car they new was for lack of a better word, defective?
My I4 tech too is due in for the back camera recall but I have since very discouraged to bring it back - mainly due to the transmission problem which I have since the beginning. I brought it back and they did some "update" but it didn't get better, same old thing, lurches, hesitant, lunging and nudges especially close to stop and frankly I've thinking the same thing as you did. In fact it just happened over the weekend when coming to a stop and it nudges like someone rear ended me... What a joke for Acura having all these nice features but except the car drives like a drunken man. WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My I4 tech too is due in for the back camera recall but I have since very discouraged to bring it back - mainly due to the transmission problem which I have since the beginning. I brought it back and they did some "update" but it didn't get better, same old thing, lurches, hesitant, lunging and nudges especially close to stop and frankly I've thinking the same thing as you did. In fact it just happened over the weekend when coming to a stop and it nudges like someone rear ended me... What a joke for Acura having all these nice features but except the car drives like a drunken man. WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was just wondering did anybody complain to the Acura corporate about this transmission issue? as I heard someone said when he brought it back they said there weren't any complaint about the transmission issue yet, I am like "what" it's all over in this forum and someone in the corporate office didn't received any complaint?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was just wondering did anybody complain to the Acura corporate about this transmission issue? as I heard someone said when he brought it back they said there weren't any complaint about the transmission issue yet, I am like "what" it's all over in this forum and someone in the corporate office didn't received any complaint?
Trust me.....Acura is aware of the issues with both transmissions for some people. Seems that the party line is to say that "its the first we have heard of this"....that is what my dealer said when I asked about these issues.

Just look at the following link to see some of those who have posted with the feds.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...ia.make=ACURA&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1977198

Sorry for the long link...or just go to nhtsa and find your way to the complaints.

I am very frustrated since I was set on the TLX, but after driving the V6 AWD and the throttle response and gear searching/delay, and the ongoing problems with the DCT, I am going to wait to see how things resolve. I don't need a new car yet, so I am hopeful that Acura can get a fix soon.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
My I4 tech too is due in for the back camera recall but I have since very discouraged to bring it back -
[Edited for clarity]
What back camera recall? :eek: Do you have anything online to back this up? If so I would like to post it in our recall / TSB section.

Maybe you are referring to the TSB for the Rear Cross Traffic Monitor Beep Fix?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it's the Rear Cross Traffic Monitor Beep Fix.....

Looks like Acura didn't put this transmission issue high in their list, they must be thinking it's a "minor issue" and it's ok as long as it's not major. They forgot that words of mouth WILL have potential sales are trying to stay away from a DEFECTIVE products.

**********I bought 4 Acuras from them and I am just so mad I didn't want to step foot in their dealer anymore I ended up using my own mechanic for the first ever A1 service **********

I am basically stuck with this car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

Ok - so i have the car going back in to the dealer on Friday, and we will see what will come of it.

In the meantime I lodged a complaint with Acura. The lady was very nice and will investigate and get back to me in 24-48 hours, take into account all my troubles to date and offer up a solution - so we will see what happens.

Nothing meaningful right now, but working through the process. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I got the latest update(s) on my car(2.4 with tech) last Friday. Unfortunately, I see very little improvements . Awaiting for one more update..

Here are my problems..

1. Transmission is jerky and when I hit on the gas pedal to speed up, the transmission hesitates and doesn't know which gear to engage thus making jerky feel. (Happened couple of times since Friday)

2. Notice lunging/nudging/lurching forward just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

3. Sometimes the stick shift is so hard, changing(from Neutral to Reverse, Reverse to Neutral) it makes loud noise and the car jolts/shakes.

@Guys, please let everyone know if you get an update which resolves all these issues..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

I got the latest update(s) on my car(2.4 with tech) last Friday. Unfortunately, I see very little improvements . Awaiting for one more update..

Here are my problems..

1. Transmission is jerky and when I hit on the gas pedal to speed up, the transmission hesitates and doesn't know which gear to engage thus making jerky feel. (Happened couple of times since Friday)

2. Notice lunging/nudging/lurching forward just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

3. Sometimes the stick shift is so hard, changing(from Neutral to Reverse, Reverse to Neutral) it makes loud noise and the car jolts/shakes.

@Guys, please let everyone know if you get an update which resolves all these issues..
What update are you waiting? Please keep us posted. Thanks.

My transmission is exactly the same, just yesterday it happened again when I gradually came to a stop sign and suddenly it was like someone hit me on the back so hard - I got so upset that I had to pulled in the nearest driveway and stayed in the car for 5 minutes before getting back on the road...................

And the worst is you can't do any freaking thing about it, isn't that beautiful Acura ???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.