Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving to work yesterday, I heard my text alert on my cellphone. I usually ignore the alert since I am busy driving. A second later, a message popped up on the top screen of the sound system and asked if I wanted my text message read to me. I clicked yes. Neat-o. It was just AT&T saying that my bill was paid, but it was cool. I later found that all of my text messages on my phone were copied to my car system.

I haven't attempted to set up email yet, but then again, maybe I should stay offline as much as possible?

·
Registered
260 Posts
So was the car able to read out the message in a way that made sense? Its useful?

Why do you think you should stay offline as much as possible?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So was the car able to read out the message in a way that made sense? Its useful?

Why do you think you should stay offline as much as possible?

I need to get another text to give you a final answer. The message was pretty weak on verbiage. It read out account numbers in millions instead of single-digit numbers. Words were clear.

Just like a nice romantic moment, or something else you enjoy doing, you don't want to be interrupted with trivial alerts such as your bill has been paid. Let me enjoy my bliss in solitude. Becoming disconnected is becoming a thing of the past. Guess I am getting old.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What phone and OS do you have? I have an iphone 5 with iOS 7 and my text messages are not working with my car.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What phone and OS do you have? I have an iphone 5 with iOS 7 and my text messages are not working with my car.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Kit Kat OS. Seems it configured automagically. I didn't set up texting and was surprised when it asked me if it could read the message to me. It also copied over all of my texts to the car or maybe it was pulling it from the phone.

I did receive an email about iPhone6

Dear AcuraLink App User,
As you may know, Apple has recently announced the introduction of its new iPhone 6 mobile devices as well as an updated version of the iOS operating system.
We have learned if you upgrade your iPhone 5, 5S or 5C to iOS 8 or purchase the new Apple iPhone 6/6 Plus, you will encounter AcuraLink compatibility issues. While you still will be able to access your AcuraLink apps and use features such as remote door lock and unlock, the look and layout of some features may be impacted. You will receive an error when accessing the Maps page. If you select “ok” to this error, you will be able to proceed and use the Maps page.
We will continue to work with Apple and its market released software and products to quickly begin our design and certification processes to bring you full functionality of your AcuraLink apps again.
We sincerely apologize for any temporary inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact Acura Client Relations at 1-800-382-2238.
Sincerely,
Acura Client Relations

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info! As a long time Apple fan this may make me switch to the dark side. First they make a phone the doesn't fit on your hand and now the OS is causing issues in the car. I was really looking forward to the text message feature...

·
Registered
430 Posts
hey thats cool, to a degree. Will it send one for you? Curious how that ends up working out. I've tried it on SYNC and the words were always coming out garbled unless you made a conscious effort to articulate S L O W L Y

·
Registered
228 Posts
I need to get another text to give you a final answer. The message was pretty weak on verbiage. It read out account numbers in millions instead of single-digit numbers. Words were clear.

Just like a nice romantic moment, or something else you enjoy doing, you don't want to be interrupted with trivial alerts such as your bill has been paid. Let me enjoy my bliss in solitude. Becoming disconnected is becoming a thing of the past. Guess I am getting old.
I see what you mean. It's a nice bit of tranquility not being connected to the internet for a little while. Sometimes you have to figure out things to do that don't involve the internet or a screen to look at.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey thats cool, to a degree. Will it send one for you? Curious how that ends up working out. I've tried it on SYNC and the words were always coming out garbled unless you made a conscious effort to articulate S L O W L Y

I believe I saw a reply button, so they probably have a voice command. I was too surprised to think about a reply. Besides, it was only an automated bill payment alert. I need to read up and test.

·
Registered
423 Posts
On my old ILX the reply never worked with my iphone, something about it not being compatible with the Apple OS, I think either just Blackberries and maybe androids can use the 5 or so standard responses to text.

This is Acura's fault rather than apples, they would have had access to the new OS a while ago to be able to adapt the cars software to the new OS. They haven't updated it yet which is why we have this problem. The only problem with this is our cars are going to need a update when this does get patched, which means we are all going to have to trundle in to our dealers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
For whatever reason I was driving today and a text message came through the car! I did not upgrade the OS or get a new phone (today is iphone day). Now my issue is I could not send an automated response. The car kept telling me the message failed to send.

Almost there, stay on target.....

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Not sure if the Acura system is the same as Honda. If that's the case, only certain phones are set up to reply to texts. The iphone is not one of them. It can receive them fine. A few of the Android phones do.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
My car is a 2013. The 2014 has a newer system so mine isn't the latest. I'll have to do some research to see what features are enabled for the TLX.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Replies to text message work through ELS

Got my second text last night in my TLX over the ELS.

This time I used the canned responses. I first sent "OK" and then followed up with a second reply, "I am driving, Talk to you later".

When I got home, checked my phone and the message thread was there like I entered it myself. The recipient received my message as if I sent it. Neat-o.

According to the owner's manual, you can select to text or email but not do both. I only see an option for text. It automatically set itself up when I connected by Bluetooth.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Got my second text last night in my TLX over the ELS.

According to the owner's manual, you can select to text or email but not do both. I only see an option for text. It automatically set itself up when I connected by Bluetooth.
Same here, I don't even see the prompt for choosing text or email, just text only. Maybe because I have Android phone. Same story goes for my wife's Blackberry. Regardless, I think text is good enough; I get lots of emails, some quite lengthy and listening to the voice reading them out loud would be too distractive while driving.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Same here, I don't even see the prompt for choosing text or email, just text only. Maybe because I have Android phone. Same story goes for my wife's Blackberry. Regardless, I think text is good enough; I get lots of emails, some quite lengthy and listening to the voice reading them out loud would be too distractive while driving.
I agree. Texting is enough. I also have an Android.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my TLX base model just over 3 weeks ago and love it in Graphite/Greystone. Set up my iPhone 4s OS 6 with Bluetooth and shortly thereafter got my first text message. The system asked if I would like it read to me and I selected “read”, without any issues. It worked no problem after that until a week or two ago.

Now all that I get is notification if I want the message read or not. When selecting “read” nothing happens. I have since tried my wifes iPhone 5 running OS7 and same issues.

Anyone else have issues with iPhone’s and reading messages? My work around is to have siri read them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts