Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the truth is that the TLX with the advance package only has two front parking sensors, one on each corner. This is only effective during certain maneuvers. My question: Has anyone added two more sensors by the front plate on their tlx? Acura sells the sensors, you'd just have to drill into the fascia, but is it possible to tap into the existing sensors' wiring and retain functionality? Asking for a friend

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Never found the 2 sensors in the front were inadequate. The seem do their thing accurately and I have not felt they should be alerting when they are not.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
In looking through the owners-manual (page 412) concerning the Parking Sensor System the picture of the coverage area in the front does show to have about 2 feet wide (right in the center of the front bumper) with NO coverage.

I suppose that if there was a telephone pole or something similar, and you were trying to pull up to it, the front corner sensors would NOT detect it and you would likely hit it.

Is this the dead area that your friend believes adding an additional sensor would cover?

I would think that if you needed this additional coverage directly in front of the vehicle that the dealership could easily add one or two additional sensors.

The front bumper is easily removable and the sensors are very low wattage; so just tapping into the front sensor wiring would be very easy.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Makes sense, the sensors are for blind areas... directly in front of the car typically has good visibility. Would be interested to know how much the dealer charges to fill in the "gap"

·
Registered
257 Posts
This may be an off topic, but how are the official parking sensors integrated on the elite/advanced trim?

Do they just beep or does the monitor show the range meter as well?
(Something like the attached photo from the BMW system)

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
This may be an off topic, but how are the official parking sensors integrated on the elite/advanced trim?

Do they just beep or does the monitor show the range meter as well?
(Something like the attached photo from the BMW system)
They just beep when your close to something, I wish they did have a range system like other vehicles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
anyone know if only Elite has these front sensors.. i haven't noticed any sensors on my Tech package TLX.. i only like them for parking really and since i'm lowered it would be helpful

·
Registered
681 Posts
Our 2016 RDX has the center sensor, and I love it. Our garage is full, the nearest hittable object is straight in front of me. Side sensors dont see it on the TLX, but the RDX is spot on.

Yeah I've nudged things a couple of times...I guess thats how you learn depth estimation on the TLX!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The sensors do have a range system, it will flash yellow and beep if you are close if you get closer it flashes orange and beeps faster and if ur really close it flashes red and beeps really fast.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Dam it, for get it, we need front facing camera... that would display automatically as you get close to something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In looking through the owners-manual (page 412) concerning the Parking Sensor System the picture of the coverage area in the front does show to have about 2 feet wide (right in the center of the front bumper) with NO coverage.

I suppose that if there was a telephone pole or something similar, and you were trying to pull up to it, the front corner sensors would NOT detect it and you would likely hit it.

Is this the dead area that your friend believes adding an additional sensor would cover?

I would think that if you needed this additional coverage directly in front of the vehicle that the dealership could easily add one or two additional sensors.

The front bumper is easily removable and the sensors are very low wattage; so just tapping into the front sensor wiring would be very easy.
"Asking for a friend" is just an expression, as in I'm asking for someone who can help. I have a tandem spot that I backed my '06 mustang into and brushed tags parking my tlx (both front plates stick out a few inches from the bumper) but the sensors were still beeping as if I had plenty of room in front of me. No damage thankfully, but in situations where I'm parking behind something like a truck with a hitch, the outcome might not be the same. A lot of our parking lots are tight in NOVA, so to keep the rear bumper from sticking out too far, you usually have to get very close to the car in front of you. The extra sensors are worth it to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our 2016 RDX has the center sensor, and I love it. Our garage is full, the nearest hittable object is straight in front of me. Side sensors dont see it on the TLX, but the RDX is spot on.

Yeah I've nudged things a couple of times...I guess thats how you learn depth estimation on the TLX!
So far I've had an MDX and RDX loaner which both have 4 sensors and both work flawlessly. The TLX bumper is tapered back on the corners, so by the time they even engage, the front of the car is uncomfortably close ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car is at the dealer getting the chirpy high pressure fuel pump replaced, so I'll ask my service advisor about it when he calls. I'll let you know what he says ����

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: service advisor told me that I can not add sensors to the existing system, but he told me that the two corner sensors should have enough range to cover the front center area of the bumper. They'll look at it during my next maintenance interval.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The dealership will never do anything outside of regular maintenance, if you want to upgrade anything on your car you have to go to a third party, such as a car stereo shop or a body shop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts