Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the user manual (.pdf) it states that:
* Forward Collision Warning (FCW) operates 10mph - 62mph (page 365), and
* Collision Mitigation Braking System operates 3mph - 62mph (page 404)

Why won't these systems work above 63mph/100kph? It seems that, cruising on the Interstate over long distances at 5mph above the speed limit (i.e. 70mph) is just when you'd need them most, no?

Also Adaptive Cruise Control (page 352) operates up to 90mph -- and has many features in common with both Forward Collision Warning and Collision Mitigation Braking System.

Weird!

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Have you tried to use either system over the numbers indicated in the owners manual? I wonder if they only print those numbers since they're the limits, or close to the limits, on most highways.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's probably a liability thing. They don't want to be responsible if some fool goes way over the speed limit and the system doesn't save their lives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But Adaptive Cruise Control & Road Departure Mitigation (which also employ braking to avoid an accident) both operate up to 90mph, so I doubt restricting FCW & CMBS to 62mph is because of liability...

·
Registered
727 Posts
It's probably a liability thing. They don't want to be responsible if some fool goes way over the speed limit and the system doesn't save their lives.
Sadly I can see that happening, hopefully they have done all they can to make sure this can be avoided, but any smart drive should know to shut the car off if this happens.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think this might just be the technology rather than the law or other things.
Both these systems rely on the camera to work.
Maybe they don't work at higher speeds because the camera can't safely act at the higher speeds?

I actually believe both of these systems are actually not designed for highway driving, it makes more sense at the lower to mid speeds as this is when you are likely to be driving closely to the person in front. You not likely to be driving up someones behind over 100kms or 63mph? although some do.
If you are cruising on the highway then these aren't features i think will help you. You can't cruise in a traffic jam where I think they would be most effective and if when driving at high speeds the events that need to happen for these camera's to pick up the distance close would end in an accident before the first chime probably goes off anyway.

The adaptive cruise control uses radar and not soley camera's too like the FCW and CMBS do, which might be a reason for different speeds on the three systems. Radar is going to be more precise at high speeds than camera tech will be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts