Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, just to introduce myself: I am from the Greater Toronto Area and I am currently (heavily) considering the 2015 TLX Tech.

Would like to hear other people's experiences with the TLX. I admit I am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a first MY vehicle - so I am here to do research and keep an open mind!

I did drive a BMW 335i - but returned it after the lease expired. Looking for a new vehicle that I can keep for a long time!

I like the styling of the TLX and it seems to be great value. I hope I can make a purchase sooner rather than later :)

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi TLXorNot...

I had my first Generation Acura TL for 15 years before I got my TLX. It never let me down.

I have never owned a BMW, so cannot give you a comparison on the driving, service, or reliability experience.

I have been very happy with my TLX over the first two to three months. I have experienced none of the tranny problems that you will read about on this and other forums.

I suggest you do your research. Take full test drives. Ask us lots of questions.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I totally agree with @bruce dow.

Never drove BMW, had a first generation 2004 TSX with no issues, and my current TLX has no issues. I enjoy driving the car every day.

When you do your research, hopefully you will find a lot of information already posted within this forum. If you don't see what you are looking for, definitely ask.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Did you decide on the V6 or the I4? From there the decisions come a bit easier.
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi TLXorNot...

I had my first Generation Acura TL for 15 years before I got my TLX. It never let me down.

I have never owned a BMW, so cannot give you a comparison on the driving, service, or reliability experience.

I have been very happy with my TLX over the first two to three months. I have experienced none of the tranny problems that you will read about on this and other forums.

I suggest you do your research. Take full test drives. Ask us lots of questions.

Thanks very much for your input! It is greatly appreciated. I will definitely take your advice.

I totally agree with @bruce dow.

Never drove BMW, had a first generation 2004 TSX with no issues, and my current TLX has no issues. I enjoy driving the car every day.

When you do your research, hopefully you will find a lot of information already posted within this forum. If you don't see what you are looking for, definitely ask.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Did you decide on the V6 or the I4? From there the decisions come a bit easier.
:)
Thanks! I look forward to doing more research and definitely asking questions.

I am currently considering the I4. I have flipped a few times on the V6, but gas prices are much higher here in the Toronto area. This car will also be a DD and I usually run into heavy traffic - so I am not sure if a V6 is worth it for me personally. True - Oil prices have gone down, but fundamentally, due to taxes and other government fees, we will always pay more for fuel up here than down south. The only real place in Canada where fuel is cheaper (not cheaper than US I believe but rest of Canada) is the province of Alberta - for obvious reasons.

Also, Oil prices WILL go up - and when they do Gas prices will return to well over 1 dollar / Litre (sorry I only go by metric system :) )

So I am pretty sure it will be the I4...now I just need to get my significant other on board as well ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi TLXorNot...

and BTW congratulations on your purchase! I am glad you are enjoying the car. The car is very attractive to me....but I do need to test drive it asap :p

·
Registered
148 Posts
Same! My 3rd Acura product (TL S-Type still running after 210k, MDX lost to an ex but still see it). Love the reliability of their products. Have always been taken care of by Acura when it came to mechanical issues. Maintenance has always been basic and low.

Test drive the entire line, then number it down. As for color it's the same across the line so run thru the dealer lot and look at what they have for color combinations, cause you will be living in it for a long time.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are so many factors involved in trying to determine what the best car should be, and the difficulty is looking into the future to determine the reliability of the car if it will be kept for a long time. The general consensus is German is fine for short term and Japanese is better for long term. Also, the more technology that is added to the car is the more things to break down the line or to push up the cost of repairs after a crash.

One of the deciding factors of the i4 vs V6 is that the V6 will require a timing belt and water pump replacement around 100,00 miles, a $1,000+ cost.

Suggest you make a list of must have features vs would like to have. Then there is the emotional appeal, and if it must be strong if you are going to keep it for many years. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you driven it yet? Take some time to familarize yourself with ever. Take an extended test drive, if possible!

I loved my TSX, and I love my TLX. I understand your hesitation with not buying a first MY vehicle, but trust me when I say that Acura and Acura Client Relations are incredible to deal with. Incredible in a good way! As long as you pick a good dealer and salesperson, if anything crops up, you will not be disappointed! Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback! It has been quite cold here the past few days (Toronto) - which is expected - BUT believe it or not its a lot colder than usual right now. Hopefully I'll be able to go for a test drive soon!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks so much for the feedback! It has been quite cold here the past few days (Toronto) - which is expected - BUT believe it or not its a lot colder than usual right now. Hopefully I'll be able to go for a test drive soon!
Too cold for a test drive? I would understand dealers not letting people test drive if the roads were snowy. But if the roads are clear...

·
Registered
21 Posts
wonder if he got it. prior to my TLX i had a 07 530i. Can't beat the driving experience on the bimmer, but the maintenance cost was getting out of hand. Felt like the car was made to make the dealership richer. reason i posted here is because me and my wife went on the same road. A 4 series gran coupe or the TLX. She was sold with the TLX technology and plus the innovative "no shift stick" design, which i really thought was a chick thing. i just went with the saying "happy wife equals happy life" so we got the TLX. No regrets what so ever. love the car and the exclusivity since in guam they only bring in 4 at a time. so i'm one of the first 4 to drive one.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
wonder if he got it. prior to my TLX i had a 07 530i. Can't beat the driving experience on the bimmer, but the maintenance cost was getting out of hand. Felt like the car was made to make the dealership richer. reason i posted here is because me and my wife went on the same road. A 4 series gran coupe or the TLX. She was sold with the TLX technology and plus the innovative "no shift stick" design, which i really thought was a chick thing. i just went with the saying "happy wife equals happy life" so we got the TLX. No regrets what so ever. love the car and the exclusivity since in guam they only bring in 4 at a time. so i'm one of the first 4 to drive one.
Wow! What an experience. I never made it to Guam. I thought about getting stationed there, once. Near Agana, I think. You don't need a passport. How are the roads there? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Roads are acceptable just the lack of a good stretch. i came from Long Beach CA and the long drives i truly miss. but can't beat the weather here!! 84 everyday! pot holes are common in the residential areas but that just keeps my slalom skills at check. lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats!

No TLX as of yet. Still contemplating and deciding (most of all trying to convince wife.) Also have to workout the budget! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats!

No TLX as of yet. Still contemplating and deciding (most of all trying to convince wife.) Also have to workout the budget! :)
then there's your answer. the amount of money to spend on your base model bimmer and that same amount for a TLX, you'll have a nice TLX. trust me it's worth it. from a BMW driver, it will take some getting used to the car but it's all worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
then there's your answer. the amount of money to spend on your base model bimmer and that same amount for a TLX, you'll have a nice TLX. trust me it's worth it. from a BMW driver, it will take some getting used to the car but it's all worth it.

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts