Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you finally get your car and fill out the paperwork, are the dealers pushing any non-accessory type add-ons?

I can't believe I bought the scotch-guarding and security glass etchings on the last go around when I bought my 2011 TSX.

Also never felt the need to get extended warranty since I usually get in the mood to buy another car in 3 to 4 years.

Just wondering if there is anything else to look out for.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
My wife was pushed to buy a $1000 lease-guard protection. Ended up being useless since I wasn't going to keep the car long, actually I was going to buy it at the end of my lease. You only get 30 days to get it reimbursed. I wouldn't have gotten it if I was the one picking up the car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I try to resist any extras that sales people try to tack on. They are all cash grabs. If you didn't want it to begin with then don't get convinced. You can always go get it done somewhere else if you really do want it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dealer was offering enviroguard (paint protection) and lost key protection. I declined both.

The best offer was low jack on the TLX with Nav. It already has a GPS chip in it and can be located through Acuralink. This was from a dealer that I did not purchase the car through.

Previously I was also offered tire and wheel protection, lease protection, ding protection.

If you can think of it a dealer will offer protection for it, all for $15 a month!

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
My father in law always told the salesperson the minute he walks into the business office and they offer him anything else he's walking. The sales person usually went in to warn them beforehand. It seemed to have worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not an issue as I have used the same person for my last three vehicles purchases and he know's better then to play that game with me! Plus, we developed a good working relationship and friend ship over the years.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Not an issue as I have used the same person for my last three vehicles purchases and he know's better then to play that game with me! Plus, we developed a good working relationship and friend ship over the years.
That's always an ideal thing to have!

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good replies. Thanks.

I did forget that I pre-paid oil changes and tire rotation. Not sure if I actually saved anything but it was convenient.

·
Registered
727 Posts
All good replies. Thanks.

I did forget that I pre-paid oil changes and tire rotation. Not sure if I actually saved anything but it was convenient.
Hopefully you did, they should at least encourage it, as it does pre-commit people to the service rather then giving them time to think about it and go where ever is right for them when they're ready.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have excess wear and use protection on our BMW. When inspected, prior to return as lease is up, $2600.00 in repairs, all minor stuff. it's covered under the package we spent $1000.00 for. We had it 3 years. Looking forward to our TLX

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have declined their extended warranty offer but having some second thoughts now mainly due to the fact that we bought the car instead of leasing, it is a brand new model full of fairly new "stuff" and we intend to keep it for 7-8 years. So I am contemplating a 7 year/130 K km option, of course for way lower price than it was shown to me....
Any thoughts ?

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never get extended warranty, although this time I leased for the same reason about all of the new "stuff". There is a lot of tech to break. Also the LED lights are new. Not sure how they will last. I hope they last for a long time. Also, I don't know if they will be a fad that doesn't catch on.

It's a gamble.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Right. If I get a good deal I am going to buy it. If not, then the time will tell if my decision cost me an arm and leg or I saved the extra $$...

·
Registered
438 Posts
most people and organizations including consumer reports say that extended warranty are not worth it most of the time and are too pricey. i bought a lexus for my mom almost a year ago and when i looked at the extended warranty brochure i was like wow, thats expensive

i think its better to build up a repair fund on the side in some savings account instead

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also never get extended warranties. The way I see it, especially with electronics, by the time something breaks down, it's probably obsolete and I'm actually looking for an excuse to replace it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts