Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about buying some products to protect my new-to-me 2018 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec Bellanova White Pearl paint. I was curious to see what this car community of fine people like to use on their rides. I've done a little research into this, but I'm new to it. Foam wash, clay bars, waxing, etc. What's your routine for car protection?

·
Super Moderator
682 Posts
I do the lazy method. About every 2 to 4 weeks I run the car through a touchless car wash (about $13) and then wipe it down afterwards with some terry towels to get the spots the car washed missed. When I notice the water not beading up on the paint I'll wax. So far, I've only had to wax once. I'll also apply RainX on the windshield about every 5 or 6 months. I probably should get a full detail done, but I keep the car pretty clean and garaged every night, so can't justify it, yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do the lazy method. About every 2 to 4 weeks I run the car through a touchless car wash (about $13) and then wipe it down afterwards with some terry towels to get the spots the car washed missed. When I notice the water not beading up on the paint I'll wax. So far, I've only had to wax once. I'll also apply RainX on the windshield about every 5 or 6 months. I probably should get a full detail done, but I keep the car pretty clean and garaged every night, so can't justify it, yet.
I have to park on the driveway for the foreseeable future with the girlfriend working from home and me still leaving to work (nurse). She gets the one space in the garage pretty much exclusively for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have quite a bit of $ invested in detailing products :) I use a 3100 PSI pressure washer and an PF22 MTM foam cannon with Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam whenever I wash the car (usually every 2 weeks). As far as polishing/waxing goes. I usually do a full detail once a year using a Mother's clay bar followed by a polish (Meguiar's 205 or Sonax Perfect Finish) and then follow up with Collinite 845 to protect. I usually just put a coat of Collinite on the car about once a month (every other wash) and I wipe down with Bead Maker as I'm drying the car. If you are looking for some good online resources for detailing I recommend watching Esoteric's videos on YouTube.

A few wash/post-detailing pics below :

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have quite a bit of $ invested in detailing products :) I use a 3100 PSI pressure washer and an PF22 MTM foam cannon with Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam whenever I wash the car (usually every 2 weeks). As far as polishing/waxing goes. I usually do a full detail once a year using a Mother's clay bar followed by a polish (Meguiar's 205 or Sonax Perfect Finish) and then follow up with Collinite 845 to protect. I usually just put a coat of Collinite on the car about once a month (every other wash) and I wipe down with Bead Maker as I'm drying the car. If you are looking for some good online resources for detailing I recommend watching Esoteric's videos on YouTube.

A few wash/post-detailing pics below :

View attachment 25116 View attachment 25117
See this is what I need in my life, the car looks great. Thanks for your input. How long does a bottle of the Chemical Guys foam formula last for you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually get a gallon which runs about $30 on Amazon. That will usually last me a good 5-6 months. There are other cheaper options (Maxi Suds) but I prefer the Honeydew Snow Foam.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably get a high quality electric pressure washer (somewhere in the 2000-2500psi/2 GPM range) instead of my gas pressure washer. I like the performance of the gas pressure washer I have but:

1) It's very loud so I can't ever do an early morning wash or I wake the whole neighborhood :)

2) It's nice to be able to "stop/start" foaming without having to shut off and restart the pressure washer. For example. I like to foam 2 wheels and then stop and scrub with my wash mitt and bucket and then do the other 2 wheels, then rinse the wheels, then wash the car, then rinse the car. You can't keep a gas pressure washer idle without running water through it or it will damage the pump so I am having to constantly turn it off and then restart it. With an electric pressure washer you just can just spray the foam on, stop, and wash it a section at a time without having to constantly turn the power on and off.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Nice routine! I wish I had your dedication to give it that much attention.

·
Super Moderator
819 Posts
I must say that the coating it got (see my signature below for details) just after birth has paid for itself in sweat as I have not had to wax it since. It still beads up nicely either in the rain or the snow we just got the other day.
Touchless wash! Of course. There are five "tunnels" in the area and I know which one does the best job. Wiping down afterwards! I just floor it and watch the water bead up and fly off!
It will depend on how much time you have and of that time how much you want to devote to your car. I must admit that as I get older, the time I devote to the car is markedly diminshed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the red - you don't see too many of those around, at least not in that good condition. I definitely DO NOT have the time to put that much effort into washing the car, but would like to have a decent wash kit for basic cleaning that won't ruin the paint, and maybe something to clean the wheels and get the swirls out every few washes. It sounds like you know your stuff; wuld you recommend any of those all-inclusive carwash kits from Chemical Guys, Maguiars, etc.? Or just a basic mit/towels and a jug of old-fashion carwash?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure what all is included in those kits from Chemical Guys or Meguiar's but both of those companies make really great products so it's hard to go wrong with either. Just a simple wash and wax makes a huge difference. Swirl and scratch removal is a pretty involved process that usually requires a machine polisher (for best results) and a lot of practice to perfect technique (how much product to use, how much pressure to apply to the polisher, how many passes to make, etc.). Once swirls have been removed and you get the paint dialed in the way you want it, it's really just simple maintenance at that point with washing and waxing. I like the foam cannon + wash bucket + leaf blower method to clean the car because 1) It's fun :) 2) It is very gentle on the paint and minimizes swirls/fine scratches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was thinking about buying some products to protect my new-to-me 2018 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec Bellanova White Pearl paint. I was curious to see what this car community of fine people like to use on their rides. I've done a little research into this, but I'm new to it. Foam wash, clay bars, waxing, etc. What's your routine for car protection?
you could always pay for the front end to be "wrapped" It's a 3M protection that will protect the hood and front bumper. It usually costs about 2K but worth it. Also, always take to a touchless car wash or do it yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't washed the car yet…jut had paint protection film installed and just this weekend had Ceramic Pro put on my 2020 Acura TLX Spec A. I did buy some soap designed for ceramic coating but won't be able to wash the car for two weeks until the coating settles. I also bought a foaming canon to wash the car with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you could always pay for the front end to be "wrapped" It's a 3M protection that will protect the hood and front bumper. It usually costs about 2K but worth it. Also, always take to a touchless car wash or do it yourself.
I just had my cars paint protection installed. The full front, mirrors, door cups, luggage area, and door guards and it was just under 2000.00. I also just had Ceramic Pro installed with the interior protection for 1440.00. I figured if the paint gets damaged it will cost more to get it fixed then trying to protect it.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
I just had my cars paint protection installed. The full front, mirrors, door cups, luggage area, and door guards and it was just under 2000.00. I also just had Ceramic Pro installed with the interior protection for 1440.00. I figured if the paint gets damaged it will cost more to get it fixed then trying to protect it.
Welcome to the forum - that's some pretty pricey protection! Post some pics of your car once you're able to give it a first wash. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
First day being able to wash the car. It has PPF and CeramicPro installed. Here is the requested pic of the car. In the background is my 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
Thanks for the photo - nice looking Aspec. Looks like you live in Arizona? What part? I'm in Chandler.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts