Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 TLX A-Spec, brand new (owned for one week), 230 miles on the odometer (10 when purchased). After 7 days of ownership, switched out stock carpet floor mats for all-season floor mats (rubber material). When switching out, I noticed the back of the drivers carpeted floor mat had been stained with a brownish-reddish fluid. After one day with all season mats, I had a small pool (size of a quarter) of reddish-brown fluid almost directly under brake pedal. My instinct says it is power steering fluid. Anyone had a similar problem? Since it is Sunday and my dealer (Sunnyside Acura, Nashua NH) is closed, I plan to call service first thing tomorrow morning. Thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all, bumping this. Could really use some advice if anyone has experienced this problem. Car is at dealer now. Awaiting a diagnosis, but not overly confident that a solid diagnosis and fix are forthcoming (too many prior bad experiences with other car problems in the past…not Acura, though).

Can you provide any advice?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Welcome to the forum mturmelle.

I have not seen that problem in any of the Acuras that I have owned but back in the old days, it normally meant that your heater coil was leaking antifreeze.

How long have you had the car? On yours though it hasn't been long enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to dealer, the fluid is a thick lubricant that is normally held in the mechanism that allows the manually adjustable (tilting and telescoping) steering wheel to move. Says that the lubricant thins out when warmed and is leaking out of a bad seal, traveling down the column and dripping on the inside of the lower dash panel before dripping onto the footwell floor. Not what you would expect on a brand new car with 230 miles. I was given a loaner and told that the part was on a national backorder and would not be in until after July 1. So, it looks like I’m going to make at least my first two car payments on a vehicle that I don’t even possess.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
96 Posts
Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear you won't be able to enjoy your car, but it sounds like the dealer is doing what he can in this situation.

I had a new 1978 Corvette LT1 stolen less than a week after I took delivery. Insurance covered the loss, but I didn't have a rental car rider and GM didn't do loaners. Production delays abounded...the dealer estimated that a replacement would not arrive inside of six months. Ended up with a nice Chevelle SS and car payments about half of what they were on the 'Vette. Joke was on whoever ended up with the stolen car...the '78 Corvette probably had poorest build quality and reliability of any consumer automobile GM ever sold (and that says a lot).

·
Registered
3 Posts
2021 TLX A-Spec, brand new (owned for one week), 230 miles on the odometer (10 when purchased). After 7 days of ownership, switched out stock carpet floor mats for all-season floor mats (rubber material). When switching out, I noticed the back of the drivers carpeted floor mat had been stained with a brownish-reddish fluid. After one day with all season mats, I had a small pool (size of a quarter) of reddish-brown fluid almost directly under brake pedal. My instinct says it is power steering fluid. Anyone had a similar problem? Since it is Sunday and my dealer (Sunnyside Acura, Nashua NH) is closed, I plan to call service first thing tomorrow morning. Thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, I saw this very same reddish brown fluid on my brake pedal. I’m going to call tomorrow also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I saw this very same reddish brown fluid on my brake pedal. I’m going to call tomorrow also.
That is interesting Natasha C. Please let me know what the dealer says and whether or not you have the same diagnosis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am also having this issue in my 2021 TLX A-SPEC
I’ve been told that the repair requires the steering column to be replaced: part # 53200-TGV-A04. This part is reportedly on backorder until 7/13/21. Please let me know what you learn, ADH.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is interesting Natasha C. Please let me know what the dealer says and whether or not you have the same diagnosis.
Natasha C. —-

I’ve been told that the repair requires the steering column to be replaced: part # 53200-TGV-A04. This part is reportedly on backorder until 7/13/21. Please let me know what you learn, ADH.

·
Registered
2021 TLX ASpec. Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
7 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I will be looking out potentially for this. I just bought a 2021 ASpec. 147 mi currently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for sharing. I will be looking out potentially for this. I just bought a 2021 ASpec. 147 mi currently.
Became easy to spot once the all-season floor mats were in. The lubricant/grease got warm, thinned out and then moved out of the mechanism through a bad seal, ran down the steering column, and dripped onto the floor. The all-season mats allowed the individual drops to gather into a little pool on top of the rubber floor mat.

·
Registered
2021 TLX ASpec. Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
7 Posts
Became easy to spot once the all-season floor mats were in. The lubricant/grease got warm, thinned out and then moved out of the mechanism through a bad seal, ran down the steering column, and dripped onto the floor. The all-season mats allowed the individual drops to gather into a little pool on top of the rubber floor mat.
Gotcha. Have the all season mats in there now and will keep an eye out for this. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts