Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) yesterday for the first time on the way home from work. I thought I had it turned on, but confirmed with the salesman I did not. To fully enable LKAS, you have to see the lane indicators light up on your instrument panel.

Once I got on the highway with LKAS enabled, I let go of the steering wheel. To my amazement, the car steered itself and kept the car in the lane. The LKAS also steered the car around the bend in the highway. I saw the video but I was still amazed. After 15 seconds, it asks for your input, sort of like, "Are you still there?". I haven't been adventurous enough to not respond after 15 seconds. I still wonder what happens but I don't want to try this in rush-hour 70-mph traffic.

LKAS also offers a bit of tension in the steering wheel if you hold the wheel and drift toward the end of the lane. If you hang on the wheel, the car assists with keeping the car in the lane. Since I drive a lot of highway/turnpike miles, this will be helpful and fun while I listen to audio books and music. Luckily, you still have full control of the car and can force it easily to leave the lane.

I tell my tech-savvy friends that I have to use a turn signal to exit the lane first with LKAS turned on. Some say, that makes sense. Then I tell them I was joking. You have complete control at all times.

Here is a pic of my car in my work parking space. Car still looks good after 5 days. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
I always have this on when on the highway, I have the tech so don't have the adaptive cruise control which would have been a nice gadget but was too much of a luxury for me to justify price.

I keep the 'main' button on which leaves my cruise and LKAS in a constant state of ready.
I just click it on when I start off which gives you the hollow lines (outlines only) then once it locks on then it goes solid white. No audio warning though it just locks on.
If you ignore the warnings about input it disengages (saftey feature no doubt?).

It might take some a little to get used to but its a great feature and for those that use the highway a lot will be a useful aid, only downer here is its likely to not work the winter months as will be hard for the camera to lock on to lines with all the snow and salt on the road but we will see once snow hits canada.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always have this on when on the highway, I have the tech so don't have the adaptive cruise control which would have been a nice gadget but was too much of a luxury for me to justify price.

I keep the 'main' button on which leaves my cruise and LKAS in a constant state of ready.
I just click it on when I start off which gives you the hollow lines (outlines only) then once it locks on then it goes solid white. No audio warning though it just locks on.
If you ignore the warnings about input it disengages (saftey feature no doubt?).

It might take some a little to get used to but its a great feature and for those that use the highway a lot will be a useful aid, only downer here is its likely to not work the winter months as will be hard for the camera to lock on to lines with all the snow and salt on the road but we will see once snow hits canada.
I agree. The Tech Package is enough for me.

I also noticed the engage and disengage of LKAS this morning when I drove into work. The lines went solid and I had a steering wheel with hands on it. I noticed it disengaged when I stopped or when a lane marking disappeared like coming to an exit. It's neat that if you have your hands on the wheel with it on, it virtually drives itself with the nudging I feel. Also works great with cruise control, although I don't have ACC.

Good to know what happens when you ignore the alert that it disengages. Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The lane keeping assist almost seems like more of a novelty than an actual useful thing. I mean how often do you actually drift out of your lane? I hope not very often. Seems like it would do the most to help drunk or really tired drivers.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lane keeping assist almost seems like more of a novelty than an actual useful thing. I mean how often do you actually drift out of your lane? I hope not very often. Seems like it would do the most to help drunk or really tired drivers.
I wonder if it would be more noticeable on a long trip.

I know that using cruise control on a long, straight road seems to make me feel less tired. By just hanging onto the wheel, you can feel it driving by itself when it makes course corrections. I think this might take one more task off your mind. I could be totally imagining it. Definitely should help when I am tired.

I turned LKAS off on the way home last night because I wanted to drive my car myself. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the test drive I did LKAS was left on and I didn't know it. I tried switching lanes without signaling and I could feel a slight resistance. So even surprised I still had no trouble controlling the car.

As for usefullness, well if you always pay 100% attention then you won't need it. But I think many have those rare occasions where they are fiddleing with something and the car slightly drifts to the edge of the lane, or even out of the lane.

Or another way to look at it is like air bags. I have never needed them, but it is nice to know they are there watching over me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
....only downer here is its likely to not work the winter months as will be hard for the camera to lock on to lines with all the snow and salt on the road but we will see once snow hits canada.
Good point, I didn't think about that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just wait until the technology advances some and you can feel safe vacating the front seats to go frolic in the back ;)

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wait until the technology advances some and you can feel safe vacating the front seats to go frolic in the back ;)
I have a difficult time letting go of the steering wheel now with LKAS. :eek:

I cannot see myself trusting a car that much just yet. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I trust the LKAS... It works great. After 15 seconds or so they want you to steer but in the future I could see this just steering for you and giving some kind of audio warning when it cant find lane markings anymore.

It does a great job... and right now it is just a "feature"

However the Lane Keeping Assist (I have advance) doesn;t always kick in when I change lanes without signaling... I dont know why since they use the same camera.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The dangerous part is on the express highways in my area is where the right lane splits off to the collector lanes or continues straight ahead. You do not have to cross any dashed lane marking to go to the right lane. LKAS will try to keep the car in the centre of this ever widening lane, and without user control you would drive into the start of the median.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts