Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought Tilly in for her first service - oil, filter, rotate tires. Had the Nav update, cross traffic beep update, OBDII update and transmission TSB 15-021 applied. I had them check out my wacky wipers and of course they couldn't find any issues, (they have a mind of their own in rain sensing mode) but I do find that they seem to be working better as time has gone by, my observation is that they seem to go crazy after an abrupt lighting change such as entering a tunnel or going under a tree. On the short (approx 5 mile) drive home from the dealer the transmission seemed much improved especially taking off from a dead stop it was a lot smoother - time and the cold weather next winter will tell. I have the I4 with the Tech package, my loaner was a V6 without the Tech package - it confirmed that I made the right decision on the model I got. The little bit of extra grunt from the 6 is not worth the trade off for the toys in the tech package. For me the I4 tech or V6 base was maxing out my budget when I purchased the car.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Brought Tilly in for her first service - oil, filter, rotate tires. Had the Nav update, cross traffic beep update, OBDII update and transmission TSB 15-021 applied. I had them check out my wacky wipers and of course they couldn't find any issues, (they have a mind of their own in rain sensing mode) but I do find that they seem to be working better as time has gone by, my observation is that they seem to go crazy after an abrupt lighting change such as entering a tunnel or going under a tree. On the short (approx 5 mile) drive home from the dealer the transmission seemed much improved especially taking off from a dead stop it was a lot smoother - time and the cold weather next winter will tell. I have the I4 with the Tech package, my loaner was a V6 without the Tech package - it confirmed that I made the right decision on the model I got. The little bit of extra grunt from the 6 is not worth the trade off for the toys in the tech package. For me the I4 tech or V6 base was maxing out my budget when I purchased the car.
Congratulations on making it through your first oil change. :)

I agree, the I4 Tech is a great car.

Now that you have your cross traffic monitor fixed, park with your back-end facing traffic. It cool how the cross traffic monitor works, when it finally works. :)

Also check out the new options you have after the ELS update. I remember enjoying that I could move audio sources around.

Best of luck with the updates.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
What % of oil life was left at your first service? How many miles? My dealer will pay for that first visit. I wonder what will be included?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I normally plan for an oil change about every 6,000 miles which, for me, translates to a change annually. Until I started buying and leasing Acuras my cars did not indicate oil life percentage. When I leased my first TSX my salesman told me not to worry so much about the mileage but plan on changing oil when the life gets below 20%.

Dealer offerings vary will dealers. Mine offers three free oil changes, which includes car washes. At my rate that means I will probably never have to pay for an oil change during this lease.:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What % of oil life was left at your first service? How many miles? My dealer will pay for that first visit. I wonder what will be included?
My oil life indicated 30% and I was at 8,540 miles. I received a postcard for a free A1 service which included semi-synthetic oil, filter, rotate tires and an overall inspection - (fluids, brakes tires etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
I normally plan for an oil change about every 6,000 miles which, for me, translates to a change annually. Until I started buying and leasing Acuras my cars did not indicate oil life percentage. When I leased my first TSX my salesman told me not to worry so much about the mileage but plan on changing oil when the life gets below 20%.

Dealer offerings vary will dealers. Mine offers three free oil changes, which includes car washes. At my rate that means I will probably never have to pay for an oil change during this lease.:D
You need to exercise your TLX more often. Those 2 mile trips to the store should last about 30 minutes!

·
Registered
144 Posts
You need to exercise your TLX more often. Those 2 mile trips to the store should last about 30 minutes!
Yeh, I know. For about five years I drove 110 miles a day in an office commute. When I retired I was happy for just the short trips. Now that I have my TLX I look for longer trips.0:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just took my TLX (v6, tech) in for the first maintenance. I had experienced the hard shifts and my bigger complaint was the hesitation between shifting from R to D. The dealer test drove it and said everything is normal. I then re-explained my issues and also stated the common experiences of others on the forum (including the 8 speed lawsuit, and pending 9 speed lawsuit). He then went back and said he'd check for any bulletins or updates, and came back and said there was a TCM update 06/15 that applied to the transmission. He applied the updated and said it will need to go through the re-learn process. On the drive home, the 2-3 shift was rougher than before :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just took my TLX (v6, tech) in for the first maintenance. I had experienced the hard shifts and my bigger complaint was the hesitation between shifting from R to D. The dealer test drove it and said everything is normal. I then re-explained my issues and also stated the common experiences of others on the forum (including the 8 speed lawsuit, and pending 9 speed lawsuit). He then went back and said he'd check for any bulletins or updates, and came back and said there was a TCM update 06/15 that applied to the transmission. He applied the updated and said it will need to go through the re-learn process. On the drive home, the 2-3 shift was rougher than before :(
That sucks, one of the downsides of owning a new car, the back and forth required with issues like this.

Were folks at the dealer at least willing to help out or were they trying to brush you off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
They basically tried to brush me off until i mentioned the issues other experienced and the lawsuit. It would be great to get a vote or something from the folks on this forum to gauge the % that are having tranny issues. Does anyone know if that's possible? There is strength in numbers...

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
First service & software updates

I think it would be tough to get an accurate vote. What some perceive as issues may not be an issue for others. Judging by the comments on the forum, some are really bad while others aren't quite as bad. Others have no issues at all. It seems to be all over the place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
rs46246

I am pretty sure that you can create a Poll in this forum. Go to the "Complaints" section of this forum, Start a new thread, and at the very bottom, check the "poll" box.
This may not be super accurate since you are obviously only getting a small percentage of TLX owners to see and maybe vote, but it may give you a sense of the range of problems and the severity. I do suggest however that you carefully word your question and the choices (I think the default is four, but you can add more). I create one on another Acura forum and got a good response.

You might ask something like:

"Regarding the 9 speed automatic transmission in the V6 TLX ONLY, how would you rate the behavior of the transmission"
Perfect: never a single rough up or down shift/no delay from R-D/no any other problem
Excellent: blah.....
Very good:...
Fair:...
Poor:...
Horrible:....

provide specific descriptions for each category so that voters are clear.

Or just pick one aspect of the transmission such as bad 2-3 shift, but realize that that is limited. Or just rate transmission as Perfect/Excellent/etc without any description...ie...how do you like the transmission in your TLX?

Pretty easy and I am sure others are wondering same thing.
I am more than happy to make a poll if you don't want to, but didn't want to steal your idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts