Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally, Acura has released the tech specs and dimensions for the 2015 TLX.

Here's a link to the site:

Acura

You can peruse the numbers but the most surprising things that stand out for me are the interior volume measurements.

2015 TLX

Exterior Measurements
  • WIDTH 73 in.
  • LENGTH 190.3 in.
  • FRONT TRACK 62.8 in.
  • REAR TRACK 63.1 in.
  • WHEEL BASE 109.3 in.
Interior Measurements
  • FRONT HEAD ROOM 42.6 in.
  • FRONT HIP ROOM 55.3 in.
  • FRONT LEG ROOM 42.6 in.
  • FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 57.5 in.
  • REAR HIP ROOM 54.9 in.
  • REAR HEAD ROOM 36.7 in.
  • REAR LEG ROOM 34.5 in.
  • REAR SHOULDER ROOM 55.4 in.
EPA Passenger Volume = 93.3 cu ft
EPA Cargo Volume = 13.2 cu ft for base and Tech (14.3 cu ft for Advance)
EPA Total Interior Volume = 106.5/107.6 cu ft

Compared to

2014 TL

Exterior Measurements
  • WIDTH 74 in.
  • LENGTH 194 in.
  • FRONT TRACK 63.2 in.
  • REAR TRACK 63.8 in.
  • WHEEL BASE 109.3 in.
Interior Measurements
  • FRONT HEAD ROOM 38.4 in.
  • FRONT HIP ROOM 55.7 in.
  • FRONT LEG ROOM 42.5 in.
  • FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 58.2 in.
  • REAR HIP ROOM 54.8 in.
  • REAR HEAD ROOM 36.7 in.
  • REAR LEG ROOM 36.2 in.
  • REAR SHOULDER ROOM 56.2 in.
EPA Passenger Volume = 98.2 cu ft
EPA Cargo Volume = 13.1 cu ft
EPA Total Interior Volume = 111.3 cu ft

And...

2014 TSX
EPA Passenger Volume = 94.5 cu ft
EPA Cargo Volume = 14 cu ft
EPA Total Interior Volume = 108.5 cu ft

Based on numbers, the TLX is smaller in the passenger compartment than the outgoing TL to the tune of almost 5 cubic feet. Rear seat legroom and front and rear shoulder room appear to have been trimmed the most.

Even more surprising is that the 2015 TLX interior passenger volume is even slightly under that of the 2014 TSX!

I would've thought that it would have at least split the difference between the TL and TSX. What is the point of making it smaller than both of them?

NOTE: The EPA categorizes any car with a total interior volume under 109.9 cu ft as a "Compact Car". Therefore the 2015 TLX is a compact car...

Reactions: hawkins

·
Registered
87 Posts
The TLX's foundation is the 2004-2008 generation of TL and TSX, not the current generation. The current generation is just a bad dream. (The outgoing TSX is a big car.) In that sense, the interior volume of the TLX is right in between its parents. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I suppose its newfound smaller size will help make it feel a bit more agile than the outgoing TL.

I think Acura always intended to move the TLX downward in size to give it a bit more separation from the midsize RLX. Especially now that the TLX Advance gets the same active driver safety features as the RLX Advance..

While the new TLX 4 cylinder could be a great upgrade in terms of features/value for current ILX and TSX owners I'm not so sure that current TL owners will be very happy with the loss of 5 cubic feet of interior volume for close to the same price. Perhaps 1 or 2 cubic feet they may not have noticed but 5 is considerable. Unless of course they are the kind of person who values features more than interior room.

Personally, I'm glad that I didn't wait for the TLX to arrive before making my purchase decisions now that I know it is a compact car. Going from an RL into a compact car would have been tough. I know that interior room is not important to everyone but for me and how often I carry passengers it does make a difference. If the TLX remained in the midsize category like the outgoing TL but had upped the sporty/tech quotient then it could have been a contender for me.

In hindsight, the upper compact car TLX positioning really makes perfect sense for Acura's marketing and lineup. The ILX is small compact and the RLX is midsize so this car fills the gap.

Although I really wish they would have bitten the bullet and instead moved the RLX upward in size and displacement to compete with the Tier 1 luxury flagships and then kept the TLX in the midsize category with a clearer emphasis on sport luxury. They could have then moved the next ILX up to fill in the upper compact void where the TSX was.

Of course, I'm sure that the TLX will sell well to those looking to switch from their BMW 3-series and Audi A4s in addition to the aforementioned TSX and ILX owners. But for an Accord owner or a Camry owner it becomes a somewhat harder choice. The current Accord has almost 13 cubic feet more interior volume than the TLX with over 10 of those being in the passenger compartment itself. That is HUGE.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
This is one of the biggest disappointments to me with the new TLX with the downgrading in size. However, I can see the product positioning that Acura is trying to set up.

Either way, I am sure it will be a well built car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
IMO, the TL have become a bit too big. The TLX is more in line with the BMW 3 Series and Audi A4 in terms of interior volume (TLX having slightly more room). If Honda fans want a true family sedan seating 4 or 5 people, Honda wants them to go with an Accord or an RLX.

The Acura cars line-up finally makes more sense now -- there is a clear separation between TLX and RLX.

·
Registered
105 Posts
IMO, the TL have become a bit too big. The TLX is more in line with the BMW 3 Series and Audi A4 in terms of interior volume (TLX having slightly more room). If Honda fans want a true family sedan seating 4 or 5 people, Honda wants them to go with an Accord or an RLX.

The Acura cars line-up finally makes more sense now -- there is a clear separation between TLX and RLX.
I'd say just as important is the clear separation from Accord. It was tough to justify NOT getting an upscale Accord, you got it loaded with kit for just about what you would pay for a mildly equipped Acura.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm glad that it shrunk a touch. I think that people want smaller cars these days. not tiny cars, but not huge boats either. As long as everything is comfortable and functional, its fine. Cargo room even grew while the overall size of the vehicle shrunk, which is pretty cool.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm glad that it shrunk a touch. I think that people want smaller cars these days. not tiny cars, but not huge boats either. As long as everything is comfortable and functional, its fine. Cargo room even grew while the overall size of the vehicle shrunk, which is pretty cool.
which means capacity came out of something else, like cabin space for one...

·
Registered
11 Posts
So in other words, instead of this being a classier version of an an Accord, it's really a classier version of a Civic. That is a tough sell. At least it is for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It is important to note that the 2014 Accord provides 119 cu ft of interior volume. This is more than 10 cu ft more than the 2015 TLX that only has 107.6 in the Advance model.

In fact, the Accord is even larger than the RLX which only has 117 cu ft.

So the message is to go with a Honda if you want interior volume. I suppose you go with Acura if you want a bit more luxury at the expense of interior space.

Interestingly I guess Accord owners dont really have any Acura sedan to move up to if they aren't willing to sacrifice size. They either need to switch to a different brand altogether or choose the MDX.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As far as the Civic comparison, the 2014 Civic has an EPA rated interior volume of 107.1 cu ft total. Of this total, the cargo volume is 12.5 cu ft. Meaning that the passenger volume for the Civic is 94.6 cu ft.

Shockingly, even the Civic is larger inside the passenger cabin than the 2015 TLX by 1.3 cu ft.

Certainly some unexpected numbers for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great analysis

This has made the decision for me I have a 07 TLS and wanted something no smaller but with performance. I will be moving away from Acura after many years of loyalty on both sides. At this point have no idea where to go. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
This has made the decision for me I have a 07 TLS and wanted something no smaller but with performance. I will be moving away from Acura after many years of loyalty on both sides. At this point have no idea where to go. :(
You don't like seeing and sitting in the car in person before deciding? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea, I would probably wait as well, it's only a couple of weeks left. Besides, even though there is less space, you're the driver, you get it all. From the reviews I've read, it's a shorter car. So unless you're pretty tall and sitting on the back, you'll fit just right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fascinating to compare to my 2007 TL Type S

TLX has more front headroom, but slightly less rear headroom
TLX has ever so slightly less front and rear leg room
TLX has the same front shoulder room, and more rear shoulder room
TLX has 4 cu ft less total passenger volume but slightly more cargo room

TLX is the same length, 2" narrower, front track is the same, rear track an inch wider, and wheelbase is 2" longer.

It felt larger inside than the TL Type S however when I sat in the rear seats after positioning the driver seat, except for the slight reduction in rear headroom. Oh well, I have wanted the AWD ever since they indicated they were going to release it, the torque steer on the Type S is really pronounced. I have loved that car for 7 years but this should be a delightful replacement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.