Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filed NHTSA Complaint, The surge in downshift is dangerous

10K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  enterprise 
#1 · (Edited)
Took Car to dealer today, test drove with TECH, confirmed hard up shift from 2nd to 3rd, Car surges before it downshifts in sports or using paddles (all gears, some more that other). I told him about another weird thing that happens when making a long 90 degree right hand turn. Mid turn, i lose all power to wheels (no stall) then power comes back as I straiten out of the turn (when tyran/engine cold). Anyone else experience this?
He also confirmed the tick in engine is direct injection. He said he had another TLX (in the shop) that exhibited my traits and some others and was expecting an ECU update that was to fix these problems yesterday (2-9-15) but had yet to receive them and to call back end of week /next week to see if they have the update. WILL believe it when I see it.
Filed NHTSA Complaint, The surge in downshift is dangerous if not expected.

#4 ·
Bulldog, I have had my TLX since October-4 cyl with tech. It surges to a stop about every 4 or 5 times. Big lag from time you step on accelerator to moving, and then it jerks between the early gears from a stop. I've been in touch with Acura Client Relations and they said there is a patch out that is supposed to fix this, but this is the third time I have heard this. I'm taking it in for the third time this Friday. Wish me luck! Very disappointing as this is my 5th Acura and it is junk!

#5 ·
Trool, Downshift surge is especially heinous in sports+ (no paddles), occasionally happens in sport 4-3 and 3-2 shifts (no paddles) happens in any ids downshifting with the paddles. Severity: Sport+>Sport>Norm>Econ. First time it happen I thought I might have a runaway, just for that brief period of time before the decel.

#8 ·
@BULLDOG67 this is the best summary of my transmission concerns i have seen. The downshift surge is occassional for me, and only really noticable in sport+, but not enough to be worrisome for me.

Keep us posted please! And there is also good stuff on the forum, so we are glad you have joined us.

Reactions: Summest
#10 ·
It's back again

I'm sorry to post problems with my 2015 TLX I4 again. I thought the transmission issue was mostly gone after I had the update last month. I still have the hard or delayed shift from reverse to drive when cold, but last week the car slipped/shifted out of gear like it was in neutral when I accelerated from a stop to go through an intersection. I'm so glad there were no cars coming. I could have been T-boned. Took the car back to the dealer the same day. The Service Manager asked me if it was in Economy mode (it was), but then he acted like he had never heard of this happening to a TLX. The sales dept. at my dealership said they haven't heard of any transmission problems with any of the TLX's. I'm in a loaner and won't get back in the car until it's fixed. Sent my Lemon Law letter to Acura the same day. I like the car, but not enough to drive it when it's doing that.

#11 ·
interesting -I am still experimenting with my 2 month old transmission and the problems it has--economy mode, at least for me, gets rid of the bumps between 2nd and 3rd and the down shifts while pulling up to a stop sign--true, there is very little exhilaration especially from a standing start, but for me the overall ride is better.

#12 ·
Got my TLX 4 cylinder back on Wednesday. Still has the reverse to drive hard shift when cold. In normal mode, car seems to rev pretty high now before it shifts. If I accelerate onto the highway it doesn't shift until 6000+ RPM's now in most gears. I don't recall it doing that before. Is that normal?

#15 ·
This "downshift surge" sounds like it is caused by the rev-matching feature, which I hate. I want a downshift to act like a downshift and slow the vehicle. The rev-matching isn't perfect and overdoes it resulting in what sometimes feels like a surge, which is the exact opposite of what you expect when downshifting. I am hoping that the amount of rev-matching is reduced in a future software update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.