Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new TLX for 2 months know, and have been experimenting with the different IDS modes to see what I like best driving the Phoenix area. I've trying to account for different pros/cons of each mode, including gas mileage, responsiveness, and smoothness of the transmission operation.

I keep thinking that I'll eventually settle in on a mode that I like as my primary mode, but ironically, that hasn't happened yet!
- When I get on the freeway, I normally go into cruise "Econ" mode
- When I'm feeling a little more aggressive, I go into "Sport+" mode, but usually only coming off of a traffic light. Then once I've reached cruising speed, I'll switch to a less aggressive mode. (And I do agree with the others - using the "brake hold" feature for the adrenaline rush in Sport+ mode off of a traffic light is quite fun).
- When running errands around town, I find "Sport" mode works quite nice, but again, only when I'm slightly in a more aggressive mode
- And finally, I occasionally switch to "Normal" mode, but ironically, I don't use this mode (yet) as much as the others. Maybe that will change.

So I guess what I'm concluding is I like having all of the different modes because I find my driving situations and moods change all of the time!

Has this been your experience, or do you find that you have settled in on a given mode for your day to day driving?

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is just like having more than one pair of shoes; old worn shoes when gardening (Econ), brown loafers when going out to lunch (Normal), high shine black shoes for formal dinner (Sport), and running shoes when you are going for a sprint (Sport+). It is nice to have a choice.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I've played with the different modes a bit and I really think Sport mode feels the best to me. It might be because I set it up that way when I took the car off the lot and got used to it. Having said that I think I'll switch to Econo mode when I do a good highway run to see if there's any mileage difference. As I'll be up in 9th speed in either mode on the highway I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've played with the different modes a bit and I really think Sport mode feels the best to me. It might be because I set it up that way when I took the car off the lot and got used to it. Having said that I think I'll switch to Econo mode when I do a good highway run to see if there's any mileage difference. As I'll be up in 9th speed in either mode on the highway I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

I did drive 300+ miles highway from California to Arizona in Econ mode, and got nearly 34 miles per gallon. I haven't seen anywhere near that high since, but it has been all city driving. Having said that, maybe I could have gotten close to 34 in one of the other modes since as you said, I would have been in the higher gears regardless?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did drive 300+ miles highway from California to Arizona in Econ mode, and got nearly 34 miles per gallon. I haven't seen anywhere near that high since, but it has been all city driving. Having said that, maybe I could have gotten close to 34 in one of the other modes since as you said, I would have been in the higher gears regardless?
Interstate driving for long distances will definitely help your mileage. Several years ago when I had a Honda Accord hybrid I got 41mpg coming back to Bloomington, IN, from Sandusky, OH. Never was able to repeat that because on regular highways and byways town speed limits and stop lights draw the mileage down. Most of my TLX driving has been in town so I have not even bothered to look at mileage.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sport most of the time. Sport+ in the city for more control. Fuel economy, meh!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sport for me. But i have a 700km trip next week, and will go Econ once i clear traffic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I' m in sport around town, normal in heavy commute traffic. Gettin' 35 mpg on the open Hwy in Econ, 20.5 in heavy commute traffic...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sport for me. But i have a 700km trip next week, and will go Econ once i clear traffic.
But Econ mode is designed for traffic, shorter shifts, less aggressive A/C. Gas mileage should be identical for all modes when cruising on the highway with ACC active.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have played around with Econ and Normal, but find that Sport is what I leave it in for around town. It feels snippy without being too aggressive, and it's nice and responsive. sport + for entering on ramps, or random shenanigans.
During highway travel, I've kept it in Sport as well as Econ and didn't notice a big difference, as I was able to easily achieve 6.3L/100km (37mpg) both times! This is fantastic for a V6 AWD car weighing in at 3700+ pounds!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess the key learning for me is I thought I would settle on a primary mode, but I find I change the IDS modes all of the time, so that is the new normal for me I guess. And I like it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am mostly on Sport, rarely on Normal mode, only when I have no urgency to be somewhere. I have been on Sport+ a couple of times.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Now that I have a perfectly acceptably performing tranny, I'm in Sport 90% of the time. Normal, the other 10%. Economy gives me a headache and Sport +, a headache as well but for different reasons.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've been driving the commute in normal mode only for the past few weeks. This week I drove in sport mode exclusively. I find that I drive far more aggressively and weave through traffic more frequently.
Maybe it's time to switch to de-caf...☕

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sport 90%. Sport+ in the city sometimes for more control. I just wish the paddles were on the column instead of fixed to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nothing but Sport for me. I bought this car for a bit of performance, but drive mostly city traffic.

Reactions: Summest
1 - 20 of 26 Posts