Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am in the process of buying a 2022 A Spec in the next couple of days. Just waiting for it to finally arrive. I test drove a 21 tech pack and thought it had plenty of speed and drove well. However, I keep reading reviewers stating its not that fast and even in comment section folks complaining about the same thing vs Accord. I had a 2.0 T Accord and loved how it drove. The TLX felt very similar to my old Accord but I did not floor it in my test drive.

So do you guys think the A Spec or yours is fast enough for you? Would you buy yours again now that you own it? It really did feel just as fast as my 2.0T Accord but maybe thats just me. Other choice was Lexus ES. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance
26 Posts
Former Accord Touring 2.0 owner here... the Accord is noticeably quicker and has a better throttle response than my new TLX Advance. The quickness is largely due to the Accord being significantly lighter than the TLX. I've seen others speculate on this, and echo their suspicions that Acura is holding back intentionally so as to leave room for performance increases in future builds. That being said, I would still make the switch to the TLX. I considered BMW, Audi, and Volvo, but all came up short in either styling, included options, or cost of ownership when compared to the TLX. Keep in mind that the 2.0 Accord is fast as shit for a 4 door sedan. You'll be happy with the TLX performance.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
294 Posts
I went from a BMW 535xi to the Acura TLX. When it comes to the performance of the TLX....it's all about perception. In the real world, compared to the full spectrum of cars out there, the TLX is "fast enough". It's an absolute slug when compared to the better performers in it's peer group and cars like my 5 series. I spent the first couple months questioning my decision.

That said, after having it for a while and getting used to the car, it's plenty fast. When I'm driving in the car and tell a passenger that it's slow.....they question my sanity but only because they haven't ridden in the cars that make the TLX "slow". One thing to note is that if you get the SH-AWD version, it's just as quick as most of its competition from 0-30 mph. That Accord mentioned above that is faster overall is actually slower off the line but smokes the TLX in the upper parts of the rev range.

Personally, I believe that the A-Spec should have gotten the Type R engine instead of the standard 2.0T that the other models get. If you are selling a car as the "sporty" version, don't saddle it with the same engine as the base car. The Type S should have been tuned closer to 400 HP. If you aren't obsessed with speed and aren't worried about the fact that your car will get smoked by a G70 3.3T, the TLX is plenty fast. It can suffer from turbo lag at inopportune moments and it is weaker than it could have (should have?) been, but nobody really "needs" more than the TLX offers. Doesn't mean that there aren't better options if you don't mind spending $5k more for the competition.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
149 Posts
I describe mine as "peppy, once it gets rolling", but there's some turbo-lag that I really feel when accelerating from a dead stop.

Having said that, traffic is always the limiting factor around town (don't these people have somewhere to be?) and the car will cruise at 80-85 all day on the Interstate without breaking a sweat. It's all I need.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I describe mine as "peppy, once it gets rolling", but there's some turbo-lag that I really feel when accelerating from a dead stop.

Having said that, traffic is always the limiting factor around town (don't these people have somewhere to be?) and the car will cruise at 80-85 all day on the Interstate without breaking a sweat. It's all I need.
It's all relative to what one needs in regards to how fast. The car is without a doubt quick enough for the daily driver for merging and off the line it shifts rather smoothly and quickly with that low end torque. I also have the FWD version which is about 200lbs lighter than the SHAWD. To be honest, coming from 3 V6's in a row i don't miss them. The sound coming form the turbo 4 is also nice. They did a good job piping it in with sport mode. Like you say, with traffic in metro areas, you can only go so fast. The funny thing at least in FL is that most are doing about 75-80mph on the interstates, that means to go faster you'd be doing 85 or higher which is getting into trouble. Any car nowadays can go 80mph on the highway without too much effort, so there is not much to prove with traffic and most cars being able to keep up at highway speeds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I pulled the trigger and got the TLX. This thing is amazing. There is a tad bit of turbo lag but you get so much car for the money in my opinion. Back seat is tight but will never really be used because we have an SUV. Very happy with my View attachment 27710 decision and thanks for the input!
Congrats! I stole mine from the local Acura dealer right before prices got silly but the car is a great value in terms of what you get for the money even at MSRP (or close)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone! I am in the process of buying a 2022 A Spec in the next couple of days. Just waiting for it to finally arrive. I test drove a 21 tech pack and thought it had plenty of speed and drove well. However, I keep reading reviewers stating its not that fast and even in comment section folks complaining about the same thing vs Accord. I had a 2.0 T Accord and loved how it drove. The TLX felt very similar to my old Accord but I did not floor it in my test drive.

So do you guys think the A Spec or yours is fast enough for you? Would you buy yours again now that you own it? It really did feel just as fast as my 2.0T Accord but maybe thats just me. Other choice was Lexus ES. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
to me it’s was fast. But now I’m getting bored of it lol

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
63 Posts
Former Accord 2.0T owner here as well. I describe the TLX's speed as "perfectly adequate." It's quick enough to not leave me wanting for power, and that's all I really want out of a car. I've had much quicker cars in the past (Accord 2.0T, Stinger GT, Mustang 5.0), but I'm over them. The TLX is my favorite overall package. I enjoy the occasional fast highway merge and sprint on a twisty road, but otherwise I'm not an aggressive driver. I recently heard a wise perspective that if you never "floor" it, you don't need more power. I rarely ever floor it. I'm not worried about its speed compared to its competitive set, and I'm not trying to win any drag races - it's fast enough for me, and that's all that matters.

Bottom line is, if a tree fell on my car today, I'd immediately start looking for an exact replacement. I love this car.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
149 Posts
Former Accord 2.0T owner here as well. I describe the TLX's speed as "perfectly adequate." It's quick enough to not leave me wanting for power, and that's all I really want out of a car. I've had much quicker cars in the past (Accord 2.0T, Stinger GT, Mustang 5.0), but I'm over them. The TLX is my favorite overall package. I enjoy the occasional fast highway merge and sprint on a twisty road, but otherwise I'm not an aggressive driver. I recently heard a wise perspective that if you never "floor" it, you don't need more power. I rarely ever floor it. I'm not worried about its speed compared to its competitive set, and I'm not trying to win any drag races - it's fast enough for me, and that's all that matters.

Bottom line is, if a tree fell on my car today, I'd immediately start looking for an exact replacement. I love this car.
I feel the same way.

Interesting you mentioned the Stinger GT. I didn't have a chance to look at one until after I bought my TLX, but even with the bigger motor there was something I can't put my finger on that puts me off. Maybe the interior design is a tad to "bright". for my taste. I dunno. Seems like a nice car overall, though, and in GT2 form it really is fast. I still have concerns about KIAs long term reliability and component quality, but according to CR and other mags of the sort that concern is misplaced and they're as good as anyone else, these days. I noticed the body panel fit on the GT2 I drove was miles ahead of my TLX.

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
63 Posts
Interesting you mentioned the Stinger GT. I didn't have a chance to look at one until after I bought my TLX, but even with the bigger motor there was something I can't put my finger on that puts me off. Maybe the interior design is a tad to "bright". for my taste. I dunno. Seems like a nice car overall, though, and in GT2 form it really is fast. I still have concerns about KIAs long term reliability and component quality, but according to CR and other mags of the sort that concern is misplaced and they're as good as anyone else, these days. I noticed the body panel fit on the GT2 I drove was miles ahead of my TLX.
There was a lot that I loved about the Stinger. It sure was sexy and fast. The interior design was a little weird, but I learned to like it. In the end, though, there were some things about it that REALLY annoyed me. #1 was all the rattles. The hatch rattled on medium to large impacts - I eventually fixed that one with some rubber sheeting, washers, and zip ties. The headliner squeaked after being parked outside if it was over 65 degrees. The sunroof rattled constantly on certain road textures - I tried four different fixes, but none of them lasted very long.
#2 was the functionality of the lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control. I absolutely love these features, generally, and I'll never buy a car without them. In the 2019 Stinger, though, the car would triple beep at you every single time you got slightly close to a lane marker. It would also triple beep at you to grab the steering wheel when the road was straight and you weren't turning. THe former could be eliminated by turning off lane keeping assist, which I didn't want to do, but the latter couldn't be avoided. Driving the car was a constant chorus of triple beeps, and it drove me absolutely mad. It made me SO appreciate Honda/Acura's method of a silent shake of the steering wheel. I can only hope newer versions of Kia's driver assist systems function differently.
#3 was the infotainment. They treated the software updates like we were beta users. Features would disappear or break and it was infuriating. The best example is on the last update that was installed before I sold it - a bug (I assume) arranged your radio presets in numerical order, and you could not rearrange them. That's how they're ordered, permanently. Quite annoying!

As I said, I loved a lot about that car, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I traded it in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a 2022 SH-AWD Aspec. My previous car was a 2008 TL-S with 296 HP. This one seems just as fast as that one even though the HP is about 25 lower. I assume that's because the torque is what really matters for acceleration.

As to turbo lag, I can't detect it at all, and I was used to having it in my previous turbo car, a 1986 Subaru wagon :).
I'm happy with the car but it scares my wife when she drives it because the steering is too quick. o_O

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just bought a 2022 SH-AWD Aspec. My previous car was a 2008 TL-S with 296 HP. This one seems just as fast as that one even though the HP is about 25 lower. I assume that's because the torque is what really matters for acceleration.

As to turbo lag, I can't detect it at all, and I was used to having it in my previous turbo car, a 1986 Subaru wagon :).
I'm happy with the car but it scares my wife when she drives it because the steering is too quick. o_O
Think you mean TL type S 3.5-liter V6 good for 286 hp and 256 lb-ft of torque, not 296 Hp.

·
Registered
277 Posts
S Type 256lb ft torque , 2.0l 4 turbo 280lbft.
Difference in the torque adds to it by some degree, but since its not a big margin between the two, more gears allowing it to stay in the the torque range has more to due with it, taking advantage of 24 lb ft difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the TLX may be the perfect balance of fun without being too over the top while also being a comfortable cruiser. I've had mine for almost two weeks and love it so far. It is definitely fast enough. Not as fast as some perhaps but it is plenty for me. And it just looks so good too! Acura killed it with the design in my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my ‘21 ASPEC about a year ago, and I love it. I had a ‘15 TLX V6, which was noticeably quicker, but the comfort, interior materials, exterior looks, and handling are superior now. I also looked at the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi, but I still went with the ASPEC. It’s plenty fast enough for my commute. It’s so comfortable to be in, and I still get compliments on her looks. When I want to be thrown back in my seat, I’ll get in my Mustang. Lol.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got my ‘21 ASPEC about a year ago, and I love it. I had a ‘15 TLX V6, which was noticeably quicker, but the comfort, interior materials, exterior looks, and handling are superior now. I also looked at the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi, but I still went with the ASPEC. It’s plenty fast enough for my commute. It’s so comfortable to be in, and I still get compliments on her looks. When I want to be thrown back in my seat, I’ll get in my Mustang. Lol.
I will say that the biggest surprise of owning my TLX was the number of compliments that the car receives. It's gotten a little less common as time goes on, but I got at least one comment per week for the first couple months that I owned the car and I'll still get a random compliment on the car on occasion. My BMW 5 series was invisible in comparison. I bought it because I thought it was a nice looking car but I've been surprised at how much others have liked it. As mentioned by others, it represents the best balance of performance, price and looks of its peer group.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts