Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, my car would snap, crackle and pop through the speakers and the car would fail to properly handle the hand-off from my iPhone. They replaced the FAKRA connectors in the car during a visit and all was right in the world. In the past week, I've noticed an occasional crackle in the stereo system again. Anyone else have the repair done and have it fail?

·
Super Moderator
888 Posts
What is the mileage? Any mods to the car? Are you speaking about everything (AM/FM Sirius) through the speaker? What prior electrical repairs (ex: alternator or battery) have been done?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the mileage? Any mods to the car? Are you speaking about everything (AM/FM Sirius) through the speaker? What prior electrical repairs (ex: alternator or battery) have been done?
About 11,000 miles on the car.....around 6,000 when I had the repair.

No Mods...the only "aftermarket" thing on the car is genuine Acura all weather floor mats.

The crackling happens randomly (under acceleration) regardless of what's going on. Happens on Bluetooth music, phone calls and FM radio.

No electrical repairs on the car except the prior replacement of the FAKRA connectors under warranty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have this problem with the iginition on engine off?
The crackling only occurs when I'm accelerating.....even when it's only around 1/2 throttle. It doesn't happen every single time but it's happening on a daily basis. I'm due for my next service in October and while it's annoying, it's not worth taking the car in early for a look. I was just curious to see if anyone else has been experiencing this....or a reoccurrence after repair.

·
Super Moderator
888 Posts
Most alternators have noise filters built in to reduce the noise it produces. If you don't hear any noise when the engine is not on, it's likely the alternator. You would need ti temporarily disconnect the alternator belt to be sure. Or I suppose you could pull the alternator fuse and see if that makes any difference. I realize that a vehicle under warranty you don't want to be doing to much diagnostic work, so you might just bring this up to your service advisor.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most alternators have noise filters built in to reduce the noise it produces. If you don't hear any noise when the engine is not on, it's likely the alternator. You would need ti temporarily disconnect the alternator belt to be sure. Or I suppose you could pull the alternator fuse and see if that makes any difference. I realize that a vehicle under warranty you don't want to be doing to much diagnostic work, so you might just bring this up to your service advisor.
As I said above, it's a minor nuisance so I'm going to just let the dealer mess with it. FWIW, the crackling sound is the exact same sound that the car had before they replaced the FAKRA connector last year. My guess is that it's related to that but I'll post it on here when I find out what the dealer says.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It'll be the first week of August before I know anything. I called the dealer and they said that it is unusual for the connector to fail after replacement but they'll check that as well as the amplifier. In order to get a loaner car to drive while it's in the shop, I have to wait until August 2nd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the same repair at the same mileage. Now at 13,000 I too am hearing the crackling under acceleration. Can even hear it over the obnoxious plastic cracking noise in the steering wheel. Radio can be off and still hear it while accelerating. Starting to get tired of bringing this thing in for repairs with the amount of issues I've had with this 2021 tlx aspec. I have also noticed that turning the car off mid drive and opening the door to turn off radio will connect the android auto and carplay.. Once the car is turned off and back on there is power on the usb port and the device will connect. Glad to hear someone else is having this issue. Dealer claimed they tested 7 phones and cables. Went to pick up the car because the outside pillar is popping off and luckily it wasn't working and showed the tech. They said they haven't heard anyone else have this issue so they don't know what it could be.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had the same repair at the same mileage. Now at 13,000 I too am hearing the crackling under acceleration. Can even hear it over the obnoxious plastic cracking noise in the steering wheel. Radio can be off and still hear it while accelerating. Starting to get tired of bringing this thing in for repairs with the amount of issues I've had with this 2021 tlx aspec. I have also noticed that turning the car off mid drive and opening the door to turn off radio will connect the android auto and carplay.. Once the car is turned off and back on there is power on the usb port and the device will connect. Glad to hear someone else is having this issue. Dealer claimed they tested 7 phones and cables. Went to pick up the car because the outside pillar is popping off and luckily it wasn't working and showed the tech. They said they haven't heard anyone else have this issue so they don't know what it could be.
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with it too. Unfortunately, two days before the appointment....the crackling went away so I cancelled the appointment since there is no point in taking it in without the noise. The crackling started up the day after the scheduled appointment and hasn't stopped since. Filth, flarn, filth.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my 2021 TLX about 60 days ago. A week or so ago i noticed when the car was on and i shut the doors the speakers would cut out and i would hear some kind of crackle or pop comming from the speakers.
Today its at the dealer, they said their was some extended warranty work that they could do on it, but apparently that work has already been done. So now they are just going to replace a speaker on the driver side door. Dont know what good that will do since the issue occurs on all speakers and when any of the doors are shut.

So far my experience has been pretty bad with this vehicle, im gonna past my google review on the dealer so you guys have a full picture.

This is my pasted review of Acura of Berlin

I chose to purchase a premium brand for a premium product and experience. The experience and product however has been the furthest thing from premium. I could have gone with any other brand, for a better experience and service.

Bought a used 2021 TLX (it was the dealers rental), after about 35 days I noticed a Shaking or wobble. Took the vehicle in to get this fixed and was not given a rental for the day. They replaced the Front brake rotors, and that was it. I had my doubts That the brake rotors were the root causer so I brought it to a trustworthy mechanic, he noticed what I described and said my rear right tire was out of alignment, which I paid for out of pocket. After about 50 days of ownership the car started to have electrical issues in the form of speakers cutting out, and a static pop, or crackle every time any of the four doors are shut. This is in addition to cracking and popping intermittently while driving. A car that is a year old with 18,500 Miles on it should not be having these kinds of issues and I certainly should not have to be calling family and friends for rides from the dealer especially when Ive only owned this car for less than 2 months. This is an absolute disgrace and probably the reason why their lot is empty, Acura does not want to give inventory to the worst dealers.

In hindsight I could have spent $10,000 Less on a Toyota, and got a better product and much better experience. I can see why they wanted this vehicle off their lot. Its no wonder the sales associate, Jim Pompei pushed this car so hard despite the fact I came looking for a Brand new vehicle, and he only allowed me to drive it briefly on the back roads behind the dealership. Guess that guy gets a bonus this year for getting a lemon off their lot. Their is no way the dealership didn't know about these issues since they were in possession of the vehicle the whole time prior to it being sold to me.

I really wanted to love this car, its got a lot going for it and had almost all of what i wanted, however if my first two months of ownership are any indication, my time with this vehicle is going to be the worst experience with a vehicle I could ever imagine. An experience that I don't have the time or patience for.

Stay away from Acura of Berlin, and stay away from Acura.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought my 2021 TLX about 60 days ago. A week or so ago i noticed when the car was on and i shut the doors the speakers would cut out and i would hear some kind of crackle or pop comming from the speakers.
Today its at the dealer, they said their was some extended warranty work that they could do on it, but apparently that work has already been done. So now they are just going to replace a speaker on the driver side door. Dont know what good that will do since the issue occurs on all speakers and when any of the doors are shut.

So far my experience has been pretty bad with this vehicle, im gonna past my google review on the dealer so you guys have a full picture.

This is my pasted review of Acura of Berlin

I chose to purchase a premium brand for a premium product and experience. The experience and product however has been the furthest thing from premium. I could have gone with any other brand, for a better experience and service.

Bought a used 2021 TLX (it was the dealers rental), after about 35 days I noticed a Shaking or wobble. Took the vehicle in to get this fixed and was not given a rental for the day. They replaced the Front brake rotors, and that was it. I had my doubts That the brake rotors were the root causer so I brought it to a trustworthy mechanic, he noticed what I described and said my rear right tire was out of alignment, which I paid for out of pocket. After about 50 days of ownership the car started to have electrical issues in the form of speakers cutting out, and a static pop, or crackle every time any of the four doors are shut. This is in addition to cracking and popping intermittently while driving. A car that is a year old with 18,500 Miles on it should not be having these kinds of issues and I certainly should not have to be calling family and friends for rides from the dealer especially when Ive only owned this car for less than 2 months. This is an absolute disgrace and probably the reason why their lot is empty, Acura does not want to give inventory to the worst dealers.

In hindsight I could have spent $10,000 Less on a Toyota, and got a better product and much better experience. I can see why they wanted this vehicle off their lot. Its no wonder the sales associate, Jim Pompei pushed this car so hard despite the fact I came looking for a Brand new vehicle, and he only allowed me to drive it briefly on the back roads behind the dealership. Guess that guy gets a bonus this year for getting a lemon off their lot. Their is no way the dealership didn't know about these issues since they were in possession of the vehicle the whole time prior to it being sold to me.

I really wanted to love this car, its got a lot going for it and had almost all of what i wanted, however if my first two months of ownership are any indication, my time with this vehicle is going to be the worst experience with a vehicle I could ever imagine. An experience that I don't have the time or patience for.

Stay away from Acura of Berlin, and stay away from Acura.
Extended warranty work? Did it exceed the base warranty mileage?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Extended warranty work? Did it exceed the base warranty mileage?
So they thought it was a connector, and told me they would replace it. An hour later i get a call saying that the connector was already replaced and they are just going to replace a speaker in my driver side door. Clearly they knew they car had electrical and speaker issues and did not disclose this at time of purchase and since this car was the loaner their is no way they didnt know about it.

I was still covered under my states used car lemon law at the time and still should be for the remainder of my cars life.

The problem has come back yesterday morning but then went away. I filled out one of Acura's surveys that they send in my email and the next morning I get a angry text message from someone in the service dept about how my review and how they lost money because of me.

Called them today to schedule an appointment for this issue, they could not offer me a rental AGAIN, so now i lose out on a whole day of overtime. This is a complete joke.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So they thought it was a connector, and told me they would replace it. An hour later i get a call saying that the connector was already replaced and they are just going to replace a speaker in my driver side door. Clearly they knew they car had electrical and speaker issues and did not disclose this at time of purchase and since this car was the loaner their is no way they didnt know about it.

I was still covered under my states used car lemon law at the time and still should be for the remainder of my cars life.

The problem has come back yesterday morning but then went away. I filled out one of Acura's surveys that they send in my email and the next morning I get a angry text message from someone in the service dept about how my review and how they lost money because of me.

Called them today to schedule an appointment for this issue, they could not offer me a rental AGAIN, so now i lose out on a whole day of overtime. This is a complete joke.
You should be covered by the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. I would just bring it to another dealer. If you live in CT I would say you have a couple choices but Berlin is usually thorough with repairs. My dealer currently has the vehicle and are inspecting all harnesses and FAKRA adapters. I was told off the manufacture line they used wire ties that are attached to the body of the car to hold the harnesses. If the wiring harness is pinched or bent to make the connection you can experience the crackling. I guess all FAKRA should be replaced and not just the ones on the back of the radio. As far as the USB port not working randomly unless the car is turned off, I have a photo of the DIAG screen you can get to by holding down the three buttons on the top of the trackpad.
Sky Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Gadget Tree

·
Registered
14 Posts
The problem isn’t the new connector. It’s the tension of the cords. Acura has the techs wired to the point the tension is too tight. That’s the problem. And if that doesn’t fix it then call a lawyer and fight a lemon case

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last year, my car would snap, crackle and pop through the speakers and the car would fail to properly handle the hand-off from my iPhone. They replaced the FAKRA connectors in the car during a visit and all was right in the world. In the past week, I've noticed an occasional crackle in the stereo system again. Anyone else have the repair done and have it fail?
Need to replace dash harness. I done many. Just make sure you tell the tech to don’t put the bracket near the fakra on cause if he leave tension on those connectors crackling will return. Terrible design

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Need to replace dash harness. I done many. Just make sure you tell the tech to don’t put the bracket near the fakra on cause if he leave tension on those connectors crackling will return. Terrible design
Good to know. I'm actually getting ready to schedule my service visit so that's good information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my FAKRA's replaced on my '21 TLX last December. No issues up until yesterday. Drove home from work ( 15mins) maybe. Parked, home for about an hour and when I went back out there stereo/display did not come on at all. I pulled over. Shut the car down and got out ,locked it and then entered and started it. Still nothing. Did this a few times along my drive. About 15mins later the stereo loaded up... things seemed ok...BUT the crackling started again. This lasted for about 10mins and went away. From that point it has seemed ok....
Reading above does not give me a warm feeling about getting this fixed properly....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Follow-up on this. I took the car in today for service and they couldn't replicate the issue. They are suggesting that it is a compatibility issue with the phone and asked that I bring it by when I'm experiencing the issue for their technician to hear. I'm going to have to tell them that if it comes down to my iPhone or my Acura, my wife is going to insist that I keep my iPhone. They did say that I should try to disconnect the Bluetooth when I experience the issue because if it goes away after being disconnected, it narrows down the potential solutions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts