Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 tlx 4 banger tec package 100k miles

So for a while when exiting the car and hitting the lock button on the fob, the doors are locking but the beeping has stopped. Haven’t been too worried about that but I’m starting to have another issue. When starting the car, ever since new, the engine usually fires off almost immediately. Hard to describe but usually within the first second. Lately it’s been taking a little longer like1.5-2.5 seconds and last night for the first time it didn’t start at all the first push of the button. Ihit it a second time and it took about 3-4 seconds and then it fired up. I drove home without any issues and checked it this morning and it started up ok with very slight delay. Started it like 3-4 times and it always did fine.
Any suggestions what might be going on? I’ll take it to the dealer but figured I’d start here first. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If the car battery is more than 3 years old I’d change that and see if it fixes your issue.

·
Registered
2020 TLX, 3.5L, Tech package, Modern steel metallic
20 Posts
Yes, the battery appears to be a "smoking gun", but before just replacing the battery I'd suggest taking your car to a shop where they can perform load test diagnostics. Also, you say "It's been taking longer to fire up". Does that mean its not cranking over, or is it cranking but not actually starting? If the latter, then the obvious next question is "Since you're over 100k on the odometer... have you replaced the plugs?" The lack of a "beep" that you have noticed might be a red herring and unrelated to your starting issue. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We replaced it last year. I don’t think it’s the battery as the engine turns over normal, just doesn’t fire off as quickly. I did call the dealer and the service advisor mentioned that if the starter doesn’t engage fully(I think that’s what he said) that the ignition or fuel doesn’t deliver to the heads or however you want to say it. Basically he thinks the starter may be getting weak and said to wait till it starts doing it more 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the battery appears to be a "smoking gun", but before just replacing the battery I'd suggest taking your car to a shop where they can perform load test diagnostics. Also, you say "It's been taking longer to fire up". Does that mean its not cranking over, or is it cranking but not actually starting? If the latter, then the obvious next question is "Since you're over 100k on the odometer... have you replaced the plugs?" The lack of a "beep" that you have noticed might be a red herring and unrelated to your starting issue. Just my 2 cents worth.
Yes it’s cranking but not starting as quickly. And last time I brought it to the dealer, I asked about 100k maintenance and I do t remember them mentioning changing the plugs. I asked about a timing belt and they said it didn’t have one or that it didn’t need to be changed. At least I think that’s what they said as I’ve slept a lot since then.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
We replaced it last year. I don’t think it’s the battery as the engine turns over normal, just doesn’t fire off as quickly. I did call the dealer and the service advisor mentioned that if the starter doesn’t engage fully(I think that’s what he said) that the ignition or fuel doesn’t deliver to the heads or however you want to say it. Basically he thinks the starter may be getting weak and said to wait till it starts doing it more 🤷‍♂️
I still think it's the battery. The other issues with the car locking/not beeping are tell tale signs. I had the same issue with the battery being only one year old.

Reactions: D1zz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still think it's the battery. The other issues with the car locking/not beeping are tell tale signs. I had the same issue with the battery being only one year old.
So is it better to get an optimum
so is it better to get an optima red or yellow top or just get one from dealer?

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
So is it better to get an optimum

so is it better to get an optima red or yellow top or just get one from dealer?
I'd go to the dealer - chances are you still have warranty on it and it will cost you little or nothing. That's what I always do since they fail well before the warranty period is up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts