Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, dumb question, but coming from an ancient 2001 acura EL i never had this "question" until now

even though i am canadian, i do have a ez-pass that looks something like this:

they say that we should place the ez-pass thingy near where the rear view mirror is, but i was wondering, if i place it on those dotted pattern areas, will it still work or interfere with the scanner?

if you have a ez-pass, can you show me where you place them in your TLX? thanks in advance

·
Registered
121 Posts
For the transponder to work properly you want to avoid the shaded (dotted) area of the windshield and in the TLX you have to be careful not to block the view of the rain sensing wipers and the camera for the lane watch. I placed my mine toward the passenger side just under the shaded area.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For the transponder to work properly you want to avoid the shaded (dotted) area of the windshield and in the TLX you have to be careful not to block the view of the rain sensing wipers and the camera for the lane watch. I placed my mine toward the passenger side just under the shaded area.
if you don't mind would you be so kind to post a photo of your placement? i just got the replacement velcro strips and i dont want to tape it to the wrong place. thanks in advance

i always thought that those dotted areas near the rear mirror, regardless of car make or model, are for placing these transponders so people cannot see them from the outside to prevent theft? i may be mistaken but my previous car was too old and never had these dotted areas to consider

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the photos. so, the dotted areas on the other side of the mirror (driver's side), they are no good to put the tag on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same style ezpass as the OP and I leave it on the dash board touching the windshield on my Toyota Venza. Never had any scanning issues.

I'll probably do the same on the TLX if the dealer ever gets my SH-AWD order in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had my ezpass on the dotted portion by the rearview mirror on my current TSX and never had a problem not being read. I like it being 'hidden' the way it is :)

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I have Sunpass, which is equivalent but maybe a smaller device. I placed it behind the center of the rearview mirror. I like it out of my sight and front passenger's sight. It is below the tinted area.

I'd take pictures but the TLX is in the shop.:(

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another dumb question: will placing the scanner "vertically" on the windshield affect scanning?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm sure you could put it on the driver side too, I just didn't want anything obstructing the view on my side of the windshield. Worst case, if it is like the EZ-Pass that I use you can get the 3M hook & loop tape strips and move it somewhere else if you had to. My EZ-Pass used to be in my Pilot and I just got new tape strips for the TLX.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
funny, the salesperson told me to put it just below where the rear view mirror connects to the windshield

·
Registered
222 Posts
some people i know even place these by their rear windshield on the rear deck or even have it stuck on to the top of the rear windshield, which isn't too bad of an idea.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just put mine UNDER the Big black "camera unit", lined up witht he right edge (passengers) as not to block the camera ont he back of the mirror... and it is under all the other camaers in the control unit.

I assume this won't be an issue as the cameras int he black camera unit thing are most likely looking straight ahead and out for cars and lane lines.. not looking directly underneath....

it is also 100% not visible while you are driving.

I didn't want to put it on the passenger side next to the unit,. as it would obstruct passenger view.

Does anyone else have it where I have it? I'll take and send pics and taking long drive today and will let you know if there are issues... (Of course if there are it is easy enough to take the thing off and later remove the velcro and reapply)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I always wondered why Acura and other car manufacturers don't feature a dedicated transponder holder since practically everyone has one, and they already offer every other kind of holder (sunglasses, door storage, center console storage, cell phone tray, etc.)

Or better yet, integrate a common design into all cars the way your radio is integrated so I don't even see it

Personally, I keep my EZ-Pass in the center console and pull it out on the weekend ski trips and manually hold it up on the glass with one hand (lanekeep is handling the steering as I drive under the gantry). This also lets me take my EZPass with me on business travel rental cars to make the receipts part easy

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm guessing due to the various sizes... and appearance... and I would guess more don't have one than do have one. Mine is mounting with the plastic Velcro so I can remove and place it back from time to time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
shaded area to the left of mirror, no issues as it uses waves, not visible not a probleb, shielded by metal is the problem...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts