Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While refinancing my TLX, I found out that my bank offers extended warranty option. Details are as below for my i4 TLX with Tech,

10 year/125K mile extended warranty for $1200.
$100 deductible per repair visit.
Can be cancelled anytime with refund for left over period.
Higher price if I opt for it after 1000 miles and can be purchased until manufacturers warranty expires.
Warranty cost can be rolled over into total loan amount.

I am not a fan of purchasing extended warranty, my other cars are Honda & Mazda which I owned for over 10 years and both of them served without much trouble for the first 10 years. Since this is my first Acura(luxury) car, I do not have any clue on repair costs especially when there are many electronics and various sensors in the vehicle.

So, what do you think? buying the above extended warranty a good idea or not. I seeking input from those who previously owned Acuras, I know European luxury is a different ball game.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a 2009 TSX before this and didn't run into any issues with the electronics. But i did go for the extended warranty on the TLX because everything you touch inside the car has electronics behind it and can get expensive to fix if something bad happens. It's really a gamble, you can't know for sure if you will need it or not. Some cars will perform flawlessly and others may not. I chose to be cautious and go for it since I was able to fit it in my budget.

Reactions: Wade

·
Registered
238 Posts
I never bought an extended warranty prior to my TLX -- my last Civic I kept for 12.5 years and 175k miles with hardly any issues other than regular dealer maintenance (or simple things myself). Reliability is a key driver for my purchase of Honda & Acura, and a key reason why I decided not to buy Audi S5 despite its attractive looks and its driving characteristics.

That said, given this was a first year model car for TLX, and the high amount of electronics (I got my TLX fully loaded), I bought (and negotiated) a 7 year 100k extended warranty through my dealer. This basically gave me some peace of mind that the extended warranty would be honored without a hassle, and the amortized cost over the 7 year length of the extended warranty is not that much relative to other expenses on the car, like excise tax, gas, etc. I just think of it as "insurance" for a car like this.

Had I bought another Civic, I would not have bothered with an extended warranty given the simpler design of Civics

·
Registered
10 Posts
While refinancing my TLX, I found out that my bank offers extended warranty option. Details are as below for my i4 TLX with Tech,

10 year/125K mile extended warranty for $1200.
$100 deductible per repair visit.
Can be cancelled anytime with refund for left over period.
Higher price if I opt for it after 1000 miles and can be purchased until manufacturers warranty expires.
Warranty cost can be rolled over into total loan amount.

I am not a fan of purchasing extended warranty, my other cars are Honda & Mazda which I owned for over 10 years and both of them served without much trouble for the first 10 years. Since this is my first Acura(luxury) car, I do not have any clue on repair costs especially when there are many electronics and various sensors in the vehicle.

So, what do you think? buying the above extended warranty a good idea or not. I seeking input from those who previously owned Acuras, I know European luxury is a different ball game.

Thanks in advance.
Where did you get this quote from? The cheapest I get is $1550 for 8years 120,000 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts