Acura TLX Forum banner

Are you experiencing any transmission issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems a big TLX problem mentioned over and over again deals with Transmission issues.

Are you driving an TLX I4 or TLX V6 with or without any transmission issues?

Note: Let us close this poll on 12/31/14 and close this thread on the same last day of 2014.

Please vote if you haven't already. Hopefully after repairs and new purchases, these numbers will show improvement next year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Count me in and also most of the new stock at Acura.. Re test drove other 4 cylinder models on the lot and most of them drove the same jerky way..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow, holy moly - 50% responders with the tranny issue(s) and counting....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2.4 and when it's cold out it jerks on shifts and has hesitated when taking off. Not happy and have gone to the dealer and Acura without a fix. Heading down a path of BBB, NHTS and lemon law. I took it in early Oct and a factory rep drove it and recognized a problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ok, someone voted a tranny issue with the V6.

come on now, show yourself and share your issues with us

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tranny Shift Hits off idle

Just purchased 4cyl with tech package. Noticed that when pulling up to a stop sign and giving it the gas to accelerate it revs then the transmission hits and moves forward. Does the same when shifting from drive to reverse. It feels like the torque converter totally disengages and it takes the revs to pump up the torque converter to get the transmission to engages. :|

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't have any real issues with the v6 tranny but have noticed that the upshift from 2 to 3 usually isn't as smooth as the others. Not really a big deal, but the upshift is noticeable with a slight jolt. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree that the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear is the most noticeable. Most of the time it is fine, but occasionally I feel that little jolt. Above 3rd the shifts are barely perceptible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I have been experiencing minor issues in my 4cyl, seems to be a lower speeds under 40 -45 mph and not to the degree I have read others describe. I thought maybe it was the way I was driving it but I know I should have to carefully baby this car! This morning I approached a right turn and slowed to a little under 40 as I made the turn, braking and then accelerating around the turn and I got the first real gasp or hesitation to re-engage when I tried to accelerate out of the turn. Guess I am going to be asking the service guys about it. I hate this because I really love my car. Almost afraid to have them monkey with it and not sure it can even be replicated because it doesn't happen that often.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I have been experiencing minor issues in my 4cyl, seems to be a lower speeds under 40 -45 mph and not to the degree I have read others describe. I thought maybe it was the way I was driving it but I know I should have to carefully baby this car! This morning I approached a right turn and slowed to a little under 40 as I made the turn, braking and then accelerating around the turn and I got the first real gasp or hesitation to re-engage when I tried to accelerate out of the turn. Guess I am going to be asking the service guys about it. I hate this because I really love my car. Almost afraid to have them monkey with it and not sure it can even be replicated because it doesn't happen that often.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I am curious if your dealer has heard of the ECU update that is supposed to alleviate this issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got off with my local service guy at the dealer in Ventura, CA. He says he has not heard of any issues with the 4cyl transmissions and looked up technical bulletins while we were on the phone and said the only update out there was the navigational one. I submitted another thread about my mileage range indicator fluctuating wildly on this site and I asked him about that issue as well. He is going to call Acura and ask because I have photos of what my range is doing and he is going to ask about the transmission as well. I mentioned the ECU update but I didn't know any more about it and couldn't provide him with specifics and he said there is no technical service bulletins out there. Thought I would go back to that thread and re-read it before he calls me back on the other issue.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On another forum, I see this message subject quite often...

Originally Posted by Cmyoung
My vehicle has been with Acura Dealer since Nov. 6 and I just received my car back yesterday. I took it in for the software update to Navigation and also asked them to look into the jerkiness of my vehicle ( 4 cyl model) along with the hesistation/delay from Reverse to Drive or vice versa. Long story short my service man called me yesterday and advised my that he had been waiting on Acura Tech to call him with an update. Finally, that ECU update came and has been applied to my vehicle. Since I drove the vehicle home last night and this morning to work I can say that it made an improvement on the smoothness of shifting and I haven't noticed any low speed lurch/lunge. Now, this has not quite been a full 24 hours. I'm going to give it some more time and see if the majority of the problem(s) are fixed. THERE IS AN ECU UPDATE AND MY DEALER INSTALLED IT ON MY 4 CYL MODEL :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got off with my local service guy at the dealer in Ventura, CA. He says he has not heard of any issues with the 4cyl transmissions and looked up technical bulletins while we were on the phone and said the only update out there was the navigational one. I submitted another thread about my mileage range indicator fluctuating wildly on this site and I asked him about that issue as well. He is going to call Acura and ask because I have photos of what my range is doing and he is going to ask about the transmission as well. I mentioned the ECU update but I didn't know any more about it and couldn't provide him with specifics and he said there is no technical service bulletins out there. Thought I would go back to that thread and re-read it before he calls me back on the other issue.
I don't want to drift off topic, but does yours fluctuate wildly at low speed, like as you're slowing to a stop? It usually goes all the way up to max, and then drops to zero as you slow to a stop. It is sensitive as you're driving too, but my 2014 Accord does the same - part of it is getting used to the new car. When I got the Accord, I found it bounced around all the time, but now I've taught myself to drive a bit differently so it doesn't bounce around, and now I'm getting better mileage! It teaches you! lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, the odd thing is that the range fluctuates while I am driving straight and steady.. 70 mph on the freeway straight home about 15 miles. It first started last weekend on some hill and curve driving and that's what I attributed it too.. The up and down. But ever since then it's been doing it on the straightaway and while in Eco or Normal mode. Not racing or zooming in and out of lanes. Just plain old driving!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coming off 11 years of driving a TSX, I can say without hesitation the TLX V6 needs transmission work. The TSX shifted flawlessly and never showed any hesitation whatsoever. Initial gears in the TLX are jerky, it often hesitates to engage the engine, and even when moving at low speeds I experience jerkiness when applying the accelerator. Not what one would expect from a $40K vehicle, or frankly from any new car for that matter! Acura needs to acknowledge a problem here and come up with a solution fast. I am bringing the car in for the infotainment software update on Wednesday and will be telling them about this as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not having any true issues with the V6, it just shifts a little slower than manual. What I do notice is that in Sport+ mode there is a moment in deceleration/braking where the car tries to gear down and actually slips forward without resistance. The first time is was a little unsettling but once you know how the revs match at higher rpm's in Sport+ you can anticipate its rev-matching and you compensate. I am not overly experienced with AT's but I don't remember this with lesser powered vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 2 weeks into an I4, and already experienced the jerking shift shock between 1st & 2nd, & 2nd & 3rd. It evens out after about 15 min of driving and warmup. Took it in for service, they've identified the problem, but no solution yet.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm 2 weeks into an I4, and already experienced the jerking shift shock between 1st & 2nd, & 2nd & 3rd. It evens out after about 15 min of driving and warmup. Took it in for service, they've identified the problem, but no solution yet.
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. At least you are not alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also having herky/jerky issues with my 4cyl transmission, especially when it is cold but it really happens all the time.

I have never bought a car in its first year of production (for just this type of issue), but bought the TLX given Acura's reputation and I have a feeling that I am going to regret this purchase.

I'm sure Acura will fix the problem, but for the 2016 model.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.