Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Carmax to trade in their old Acura instead of going with Acura's offer?

I have felt I had to take less money in the past when I was trading in my old car as I was buying a new car. I was wondering if anyone has gotten more money from Carmax and could recommend them. I would imagine I would get more money if I sold the car on my own to another driver.

Of course the convenience of doing everything under one roof would be nice. I guess I can also use the carmax price as a bargaining tool. Carmax says they can give you a bank draft on the day of sale, but it's not a check you can hand over to Acura. Any issues otherwise?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have sold a couple of cars through Carmax. They look up on KBB or other and then do a quick evaluation and test drive (30 minutes total), and then offer you something. Offer good for 7 days. You don't have to tell them anything and they don't ask. They hand me a check or bank draft....don't recall, but I put in bank immediately.

I never took either to the dealer first since from experience I know that they EITHER give you good new car or good trade in, but not both....and I don't want to deal with the BS (although now with internet resources everyone knows what dealer pays for car and what is reasonable). I have tried the trade in with dealer before and it was a joke what they wanted to offer once I had nailed down the new car price.

I am sure that I could have gotten more if I sold privately, but I don't want the hassle of strangers knocking on door looking to lowball. Plus the time and energy is not worth it for me. So overall Carmax was a clean, quick and painless way to get $ for a car without all of the hassle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FS69 has it about rite. Just for the heck of it I went to Carmax to see where I was on my 2012 TL. Car had 34,000 miles. Bottom line is they offered 21K which is about 2-4 thousand less than what I would take so no deal! But considering it only took 15 minutes, it was a good clean experience.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I always try to post my vehicles up for sales on craigslist and have had good luck with it, you just have to ignore the lowballers and can't show a sense of urgency or that your desperate to get rid of it, people will run with that.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always try to post my vehicles up for sales on craigslist and have had good luck with it, you just have to ignore the lowballers and can't show a sense of urgency or that your desperate to get rid of it, people will run with that.
Thanks sounds good, but I only have one car so it makes it easy just to trade-in and pickup the new car in the same lot. Also, I am short on patience when dealing with someone wanting to buy my car.

This time though, I may need to take a taxi back to the dealer from Carmax if Acura cannot match the price I want.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go prepared when trading in an old car

I bought my last car and decided to lease this new 2015 TLX to make things easier in 3 years. Also, it made sense and cents for my situation.

I am definitely glad I went into the trade of the old car prepared with ammo. I had an AutoCheck report, KBB.com quote, Edmunds.com quote and the big gun was my quote from Carmax.

They offered me 2k less than Carmax. After making my case, they decided to give me the Carmax price. I felt that the Carmax price was correct due to the car having over 64,000 miles on it. The car was in great shape which helped by keeping it in the garage overnight.

Just some info if you trade in an old car. Next time, when this lease is up, it should be much easier getting a new car without having to worry about the old one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts