Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asside from using voice I'll pay anyone $1million if we can find a way to enter a address not in the phone book or a previous while driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
There was some discussion on the MDX forum about a "black-box" that fooled the system thinking it was in Park, so these features would work.
My sub $20k Kia allows entering an address at any speed.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its funy with all the safety systems you can not enter an address or manually enter a phone number.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Much of this is regulated by our government. See this document and all the limitations outlined.
From the Summary:
SUMMARY: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is concerned about the effects of distraction on motor vehicle safety due to drivers’ use of electronic devices. Consequently, NHTSA is issuing nonbinding, voluntary Driver Distraction Guidelines (NHTSA Guidelines) to promote safety by discouraging the introduction of excessively distracting devices in vehicles.
This notice announces the issuance of the final version of the first phase of the NHTSA Guidelines. This first phase applies to original equipment (OE) in-vehicle electronic devices used by the driver to perform secondary tasks (communications, entertainment, information gathering, navigation tasks, etc. are considered secondary tasks) through visual-manual means (i.e., the driver looks at a device, manipulates a device-related control with his or her hand, and/or watches for visual feedback)
As you can see, non-binding!!! But Honda/Acura seem to go the distance and enforce it in their designs.

I did read a few paragraphs and there are many manufacturers who submitted concerns and the response is given.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It all about protecting you from distracted driving, and it is not yet smart enough to know if it is the passenger that is trying to enter information. Installing a black box override is not a good idea because if you were in a crash and the insurance company found it would you be SOL with no coverage.

·
Super Moderator
1,015 Posts
Dual View

It all about protecting you from distracted driving, and it is not yet smart enough to know if it is the passenger that is trying to enter information...
I recall that MB had this feature, but Jaguar also is showing a dual-view screen.
See if here in a right-hand drive Jag.

The view from the Driver seat is "safe" whereas the view from the passenger seat can be "distracting!!"

·
Registered
520 Posts
The only way I know is to use your phone.

You have to have an active AcuraLink plan, with the Connect or higher package.
Type the address into the app and send it to the car.

Let me be clear, I don't condone using a phone while driving, even though it is easier to type on a phone than on the Nav screen.

Have a passenger use the app.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Asside from using voice I'll pay anyone $1million if we can find a way to enter a address not in the phone book or a previous while driving.
I am going to claim that reward and I will even fund your expenses for the service. It is call AcuraLink, a subscription service, and allows you to press the overhead link button to get addresses sent your navigation system either via an automated function or live concierge person. Now its your turn to deliver.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Ah but that is still using voice. I'm afraid you may be eliminated on a technicality. I'll be curious to see how the judge rules on this one.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like I'll just have to get over it. I'm sure Honda enjoys it, I'm sure it does help with preventing accidents and thus the car has a lower accident rate that other cars say like a sub $20K Ikea. :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I am going to claim that reward and I will even fund your expenses for the service. It is call AcuraLink, a subscription service, and allows you to press the overhead link button to get addresses sent your navigation system either via an automated function or live concierge person. Now its your turn to deliver.
We have a winner. :D

What will you do with your winnings?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Worst than having the possibility to enter an address via the car... but while driving, you can enter the address on your phone in AcuraLink mobile application, and send it to your car... A lot more distractive than having the possibility to enter it directly from the console, but I don't think regulators have thought of it...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not a bad idea... but could at least have a passenger enter it for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts